Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

Post by Yaab »

I always spend the political points at the first turn's end. Same with loading troops on ships.

But at the first turn's start I withdraw the following air groups to boost my political points pool.

Political points (PPs) at start: 150 points

Withdraw following air units for additional PPs:
Remove the pilots to Reserve. Then use the WITHDRAW button to withdraw planes.

19/32 BG (B-17) in San Francisco – 26 points (FIRST you need to combine the Detachment there) button: WITHDRAW
7/22 BG (B-17) in San Francisco - 68 points! button: WITHDRAW
Beaufort recon in Kuantan - 12 points button: WITHDRAW
Walrus (7 planes) in HK (move to Kweilin) - 22 points . button: WITHDARW
Vildebeest in HK( enable drop tanks, move to Clark Field) – 17 points . button: WITHDRAW

(the small Walrus Detachment stays in Hong Kong to recon Canton) – you can WITHDRAW it for additional 17 PPs

You should now have 296 Political points
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I always spend the political points at the first turn's end. Same with loading troops on ships.

But at the first turn's start I withdraw the following air groups to boost my political points pool.

Political points (PPs) at start: 150 points

Withdraw following air units for additional PPs:
Remove the pilots to Reserve. Then use the WITHDRAW button to withdraw planes.

19/32 BG (B-17) in San Francisco – 26 points (FIRST you need to combine the Detachment there) button: WITHDRAW
7/22 BG (B-17) in San Francisco - 68 points! button: WITHDRAW
Beaufort recon in Kuantan - 12 points button: WITHDRAW
Walrus (7 planes) in HK (move to Kweilin) - 22 points . button: WITHDARW
Vildebeest in HK( enable drop tanks, move to Clark Field) – 17 points . button: WITHDRAW

(the small Walrus Detachment stays in Hong Kong to recon Canton) – you can WITHDRAW it for additional 17 PPs

You should now have 296 Political points
Really appreciate this info Yaab and thanks so much for the tips!
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Aksully

Continuing to work through the SS. I'm at Kunming and I see the DC-2's are set to Train for Transport. The plan is to release with 12 PP(China Air TF HQ) send to Ledo. Is the movement made once when one has the PP's to do so? What turn does this usually occur? Thx all.

Yaab has some good tricks for gaining extra PPs early, but as to this particular unit, there's two schools of thought. You could keep it internal (i.e. don't change the HQ and use it if/when you want to supply units at isolated bases), but I prefer to send it outside of China and use it to fly supplies in. It's also not an important issue, so the timing is "do it when you see fit".
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

Well Kull, I am up to China setup in my current Scen 100 Cmpn. It's a bit of a slog, but I am getting there.

Can you explain to me the reasoning on the movement into Indochina to invoke the IJA forces there? I guess they historically had troops deployed there so this move ensures they "stick around"?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Thx.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

ORIGINAL: Kull

Continuing to work through the SS. I'm at Kunming and I see the DC-2's are set to Train for Transport. The plan is to release with 12 PP(China Air TF HQ) send to Ledo. Is the movement made once when one has the PP's to do so? What turn does this usually occur? Thx all.

Yaab has some good tricks for gaining extra PPs early, but as to this particular unit, there's two schools of thought. You could keep it internal (i.e. don't change the HQ and use it if/when you want to supply units at isolated bases), but I prefer to send it outside of China and use it to fly supplies in. It's also not an important issue, so the timing is "do it when you see fit".
Thx for your comment Kull! And also looking forward to your reply to Moltrey below. I had the same thought as he! Thx again for helping us Newbies with the second day turn setup and repositioning. After that I think I can manage the strategic and tactical moves going forward. I spend about 2 hours a day following your guide. I'm at page 66 of my printed out pages which I think the total is maybe 100? Working on San Diego. :)

Really learning a lot about all the minutia of moving, planning, setting units for what they do. Again amazing work.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Thx for your comment Kull! And also looking forward to your reply to Moltrey below. I had the same thought as he! Thx again for helping us Newbies with the second day turn setup and repositioning. After that I think I can manage the strategic and tactical moves going forward. I spend about 2 hours a day following your guide. I'm at page 66 of my printed out pages which I think the total is maybe 100? Working on San Diego. :)

Really learning a lot about all the minutia of moving, planning, setting units for what they do. Again amazing work.
Moving a Chinese unit across the border into Vietnam before a certain date (mid 1943?) triggers creation of several Viet Minh divisions as "emergency reinforcements". These units are static in Hanoi, and four or five other places, and they come in with only a small part of their TOE. In the process of filling out they will use up supply and manpower points (and HI?) and then they will eat groceries every turn. All that puts pressure on the supply available to the IJ troops in Burma and SW China.
I am not sure if those VM divisions withdraw later or if you have to fight them to clear Indochina.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

First off, if I hadn't said it already this is a brilliant tool and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Thank you for taking the time to create this and for being willing to share it with the community and answer questions.

Second, I know what I'm asking would be a huge amount of labor, but I'd never stop kicking myself if the answer turned out to be "yes" and I didn't know...

So... has anything like this been done for any of the Da Babes scenarios?
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

Well Kull, I am up to China setup in my current Scen 100 Cmpn. It's a bit of a slog, but I am getting there.

Can you explain to me the reasoning on the movement into Indochina to invoke the IJA forces there? I guess they historically had troops deployed there so this move ensures they "stick around"?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Thx.

The assumption is that you are playing the AI, and the intent is to give it a few more units to play with. Interestingly, I've seen the AI use them in ops across the border in China, which is good because the AI normally does a poor job of attacking in that area.

Edit: Just saw BBfanboy's reply, and although the units are supposed to be static, the AI DOES move them. And while it's true that a human Japanese opponent would have to expend various resources to fill them out, that's not really a problem for the AI (at least in my experience).
ORIGINAL: Gridley380

First off, if I hadn't said it already this is a brilliant tool and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Thank you for taking the time to create this and for being willing to share it with the community and answer questions.

Second, I know what I'm asking would be a huge amount of labor, but I'd never stop kicking myself if the answer turned out to be "yes" and I didn't know...

So... has anything like this been done for any of the Da Babes scenarios?

Thanks for the thanks! As for a similar guide tailored for DaBabes, no, not to my knowledge. On the other hand, this guide is intended for new players, and my personal recommendation is that newbies should not venture into any of the mods until they have at least a passing familiarity with the workings of the game. It's probably hard for new players to imagine, but this game is REALLY different - your "game playing time" will occupy human YEARS, and the whole time you'll be learning new things. It's a journey, so prepare for it!

Edit: Didn't mean to sound patronizing there, so I'll just add that my understanding is the Da Babes mods basically consist of "more stuff". Accordingly, I'd expect that the majority of units (and locations) would be the same as in the grand campaign, plus the overall strategy doesn't change, and thus this spreadsheet *should* still be useful.

As you process moves in each region, you might want to add rows for any new units (maybe just the name & type) so they stand out as "something that has to be addressed". I'd imagine that would work fairly well
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

Thanks for the thanks! As for a similar guide tailored for DaBabes, no, not to my knowledge. On the other hand, this guide is intended for new players, and my personal recommendation is that newbies should not venture into any of the mods until they have at least a passing familiarity with the workings of the game.

A good point. Though I think your spreadsheet is almost as useful for experienced players as it is for new ones! Or perhaps after a mere nine years I'm still a newbie. :-)
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Hi Kull,
Still working through your "Bible" of WITPAE SS! At San Luis Obispo (beautiful place BTW) I'm showing in my Day 2game at the AF a B25 Mitchell BG (17BG/37BS) and the HQ's unit in Seattle. Also in Seattle I see a Walrus and Kingfisher that aren't listed on your SS. Appreciate your comment on this. The B25's are to be withdrawn in Feb 42. So I assume the remain on the West Coast and just do Naval Search or ASW Patrol? Thx!
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

west coast restricted air units are good for search ,training pilots and some(not all) are a reserve of political points if you withdraw them,

there is a chance for a bold jap player to attack the west coast with devastating effect, take portland perhaps. so dont get too casual about the safety of conus.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Hi Kull,
Still working through your "Bible" of WITPAE SS! At San Luis Obispo (beautiful place BTW) I'm showing in my Day 2game at the AF a B25 Mitchell BG (17BG/37BS) and the HQ's unit in Seattle. Also in Seattle I see a Walrus and Kingfisher that aren't listed on your SS. Appreciate your comment on this. The B25's are to be withdrawn in Feb 42. So I assume the remain on the West Coast and just do Naval Search or ASW Patrol? Thx!
Those float planes belong to BBs Colorado and Warspite repairing/refitting at Seattle.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Thanks for the clarifications guys! Overlooked that the Walrus and Kingfisher units were attached to the repairing BB's!
Kull

Post by Kull »

Hi Kull,

One thing you'll notice is that Allied pilots have abysmal skills, so I dedicate most of the West Coast air units for training. Even so, that B-25 has a decent number of airframes and good ASW range, plus the Japanese start the game with a veritable nest of subs patrolling around LA. Since a spotted sub is a less effective sub AND you will soon be sending a number of really important convoys out of LA, those guys can help keep them a bit safer (even though they have terrible ASW skills).
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Hi Kull,

One thing you'll notice is that Allied pilots have abysmal skills, so I dedicate most of the West Coast air units for training. Even so, that B-25 has a decent number of airframes and good ASW range, plus the Japanese start the game with a veritable nest of subs patrolling around LA. Since a spotted sub is a less effective sub AND you will soon be sending a number of really important convoys out of LA, those guys can help keep them a bit safer (even though they have terrible ASW skills).

If ASW skills are really bad, you can use Nav Search instead. Less chance of an attack but the low ASW skills mean an effective attack is unlikely anyway.
The NavS can spot the sub and get a D/L and small craft can be sent out to harass it.
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Thanks Kull and BBfanboy for the feedback. Is it advisable to leave the 17 BG Hq unit in Seattle or move it to SLO or LA? Still feel stupid asking about the Walrus and Kingfisher units. Totally forgot they're attached to the two BBs under repair! Duh.
engineer

Post by engineer »

Thx for the work on the spreadsheet, Kull.
traskott

Post by traskott »

I'm in the middle of a PBEM ( hi Dan! ) and although the excel is great to keep things ordered in 1942, from 6/1943 towards the end, I'm having some difficulties keeping my troops organized ( oh my! THAT's where my USMC division was resting ). Any ideas?
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

ORIGINAL: traskott

I'm in the middle of a PBEM ( hi Dan! ) and although the excel is great to keep things ordered in 1942, from 6/1943 towards the end, I'm having some difficulties keeping my troops organized ( oh my! THAT's where my USMC division was resting ). Any ideas?

I've more than once seriously considered printing a poster-size version of one of the AE planning maps and sticking pins in it for major formations (I've got some old map flags in various shapes and colors).
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: traskott

For LCUs, I mostly rely on the "Future Objective" to keep track of who is planned to go where (and then use the "List all ground units" button and sort by Target).

For ships (and even air and LCUs) I'll often create 1-ship TFs back in LA or SF and put "reminders" in the TF title. The TF itself isn't going anywhere, but "looking at TFs in Port" is one of my standard processes, so it's a good way to ensure I remember things, plus it's a reminder system that exists entirely inside the game (rather than external notebooks or scraps of paper).

Return to “The War Room”