A Review of Guns of August in 2019

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Energisteron

RE: A Review of Guns of August in 2019

Post by Energisteron »

Thanks, Gribeauval

I have not identified any bugs. I've played three games all the way through from 1914 to 1918, twice as Entente and once as Central Powers, and I've seen nothing untoward at all.

The GoA game engine functions flawlessly, especially in Windows 7, with no hang-ups or crashes. It's really smooth.

I never played the boardgame but the game seems to play with all rules as intended. I've not seen disappearing units or anything like that. What sort of bugs were there supposed to be in the unpatched version?

The only things which I could possibly interpret as a bug would be the following:-

1. When 'spending' diplomacy points the rules permit only one chit per neutral nation per turn. That is exactly what happens BUT if a player inadvertently tries to spend a second diplomacy point on the same nation during that same turn, then that diplomacy point is lost! It's no big deal and that nation has a '1' marker next to it to show the player has already spent a diplomacy point on it that turn.

2. Because the map is very tight on the eastern edge, accessing units in the final hex column on the right of the screen is a little awkward. They can be clicked on with care but it might take a couple of attempts. These hexes are only at all relevant deep in the Caucasian mountains and at Basra on the Gulf.

So, I'm happy to give GoA a clean bill of health as regards bugs!

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks for a very comprehensive review, extremely helpful in getting started with GoA.

10/10 [:)]

Agree that other Frank Hunter games are top quality, like 'Piercing Fortress Europa', but also 'Campaigns on the Danube 1805/1809, both games having Map and Counter mods available, which make them a joy to play.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Thank you.

I find a logical review of a game does help understand its mechanics also, so it's all worthwhile in writing one.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Honestly, never thought of buying this game until your AAR and very detailed review. Thank you, sir! I'm looking forward to starting a game soon.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
aldrend

Post by aldrend »

That's an honest review. Thanks for sharing.
ulver

Post by ulver »

This review makes me remember my misspend youth playing this game https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1902732
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1549679

It really is a very good game. This review makes me want to try a PBM again. Have to play the AI first a few times as it was updated after I stopped playing.
fondfoat

Post by fondfoat »

Convinced me to buy :)
Raver508

Post by Raver508 »

Nice fonfoat. Let me know if you want a game.
MarkShot

Re: A Review of Guns of August in 2019

Post by MarkShot »

OP, thank you for this wonderful review.

I bought this when it came out. I just reloaded it. It looks fantastic on a WIN10/64 at 1080p on a 32" TV. It should be great fun.

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”