All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

ORIGINAL: Lobster

I would point out that any Olypmic/World Cup/International competition by it's very nature is political in some way but I would hope that is obvious to most. So in pointing out the arrogance or poor sportsmanship of one or more national teams or individuals on those teams without seeming to be stepping on someone's political toes is near impossible as evidenced in many of the above comments.

I didn't know what all the fuss here was about until I did some googling. But yeah, it certainly doesn't help when your own athletes, who are supposed to be representing your country, use their celebrity status to diss it. Kind of sours some of my joy over our victory now. [:(]

Why did you go looking for it then?

So that I know what everyone else is talking about. But I think you have a good point. I probably should have just ignored it. Celebrity antics aren't worth it.
Garfieldthecat

Post by Garfieldthecat »

ORIGINAL: Garfieldthecat

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Excuse me, but who are you to say what 'the values of the United States of America' are? Please keep politics off this forum. Thank you.

+1 . I think the Women's US Team did an outstanding job, winning back to back World Cups. And I see nothing where they "didn't represent the values of the US". They played clean and won, and they had fun.

Not sure what is wrong with that. [8|]

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm not ready to overlook their impressive achievements. Back-to-back World Cup wins. Convincing victories over very different and skilled opponents. Playing through injuries. Very solid coaching. Most scoring and shutouts by any team ever in the World Cup. It was really well done.

Then why did you explicitly call the team out "who doesn't represent the values of the US:? [8|][8|]

EDIT: Apologies, I messed up and thought that DD696 was replying, not Chickenboy. It was DD696 who called the team out, and I misread the thread.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well Spurs bought a couple of players..... although promptly loaned one back out again.

With the average age of our squad nearing 47, with us not having enough home grown players, and with the ahem... quality of our football since Christmas being what it was, it would be nice to get a few new faces in perhaps?

so to get this thread back on track.

This is wierd given how much was made a few years back about how young the Spurs squad was - and equally how high levels of fitness were essential to Poch's style of football. Also about creating our own first teamers etc. Indicates that doesn't happen just by accident but by planning ... and you can't describe Spurs' recruitment for the last couple of seasons as planned.

Just have to hope the new players slot in quickly, esp as I presume Erickson is still going to leave?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

+1 . I think the Women's US Team did an outstanding job, winning back to back World Cups. And I see nothing where they "didn't represent the values of the US". They played clean and won, and they had fun.

Not sure what is wrong with that. [8|]

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm not ready to overlook their impressive achievements. Back-to-back World Cup wins. Convincing victories over very different and skilled opponents. Playing through injuries. Very solid coaching. Most scoring and shutouts by any team ever in the World Cup. It was really well done.

Then why did you explicitly call the team out "who doesn't represent the values of the US:? [8|][8|]

Think you may have 'quoted' the wrong contributor?
Garfieldthecat

Post by Garfieldthecat »

Whoops, my apologies, you are correct. Let me try and edit that.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Athletics also includes sportsmanship. Off court conduct for my hometown's high school basketball team did get at least one good player off the team. So he transferred to the next town, legal in this state, to play. This happened during the summer.

I like to watch the games, I do not follow the players' antics off the field unless it effects the team playing on the field. Unfortunately, with no television and just using a cell phone for computer seriously limits what I can and do watch.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

JWW

Post by JWW »

I disagreed with Loki on general terms earlier, but I do think that arguing regarding the specifics of US women's team members' actions this year really doesn't serve a good purpose here.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well Spurs bought a couple of players..... although promptly loaned one back out again.

With the average age of our squad nearing 47, with us not having enough home grown players, and with the ahem... quality of our football since Christmas being what it was, it would be nice to get a few new faces in perhaps?

so to get this thread back on track.

This is wierd given how much was made a few years back about how young the Spurs squad was - and equally how high levels of fitness were essential to Poch's style of football. Also about creating our own first teamers etc. Indicates that doesn't happen just by accident but by planning ... and you can't describe Spurs' recruitment for the last couple of seasons as planned.

Just have to hope the new players slot in quickly, esp as I presume Erickson is still going to leave?
warspite1

Eriksen? I get the feeling he may be a couple of clubs back up plan in case they can't get their number 1 choice. I don't see how he could expect to play like he did last season and still be first choice at another top club. For Eriksen it then begs the question - how desperate are you to try somewhere new, if that somewhere new is not actually a step up?

I think - if the rumours are true - Spurs would actually like to cash in now anyway. Given his 'form' last season I have no issue with him going - but of course that assumes we are actually going to replace him.....

The bigger problem for Spurs is that because he's been so ineffectual then (depending on other moves) he may not actually move at all - but refuses to sign a new contract - and suddenly we're in Arsenal territory of a player going for free. This is why I think Levy would like him to go.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Scottish football gets its embarrassment in early this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-aberdeen

so that is one club knocked out of Europe before the end of July
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Scottish football gets its embarrassment in early this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-aberdeen

so that is one club knocked out of Europe before the end of July
warspite1

To be fair, there are no easy games in football anymore.....

.... sorry I was lying to try and make you feel better. That was EMBARRASSING!!

loki100

Post by loki100 »

yep, even by the standards of Scottish performances in pre-August European football that was dire.

I really don't understand the logic. Kilmarnock did exceptionally well to get into the Europa league, its unlikely to repeat, not least they lost the manager who got them there. Why not put out a serious side and get the most out of it ... if you run out of steam in Jan/Feb so what, they are too good to go down and unlikely to do particularly well in any case.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

on a different topic, its always the hope and optimism that kills you in the end?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1152943509982318593
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

on a different topic, its always the hope and optimism that kills you in the end?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1152943509982318593
warspite1

....and still the trolls can't shut up about Harry [8|] What a goal!! [:)]

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

The Irish Guy gives his 2019/2020 Premier League Predictions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQPG98uNfL0

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The Irish Guy gives his 2019/2020 Premier League Predictions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQPG98uNfL0

Best wishes,
Steve
Can't much argue with most things he's saying, unfortunately. PL is indeed becoming a French League, where winner is known before the season even starts.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

There used to be the cup runs to enjoy, but since Man City basically boast two and half first teams and no bench warmers at all, well, there you are.
---
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

There used to be the cup runs to enjoy, but since Man City basically boast two and half first teams and no bench warmers at all, well, there you are.
No need to worry about the FA Cup. This is going to be Braintree's year!

I can feel it in my bones. Of course, that could be osteoarthritis but I am looking on the bright side.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I can feel it in my bones. Of course, that could be osteoarthritis but I am looking on the bright side.

Best wishes,
Steve
That's FA Cup sorted, then [:D]
---
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I've certainly got a monkey on Braintree. Their name is written on the cup this year. Remember where you heard it first.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

I don't think we should press the panic button just yet, but looking at the French league, the Italian, the German and Scottish leagues, football is becoming more polarised and the fact City are owned by a country makes competing difficult for everyone else - even Man United. Interesting that all the talk of them being banned from the CL has died away. As if UEFA were going to take on the owners of City in a legal battle.....

I certainly fear for the direction European football is heading.

Return to “General Discussion”