2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JEB Davis

RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Post by JEB Davis »

I would love to test it.
Still have XP SP3 to test it with.
Getting a new computer soon also.

I'm still an active PBEM player of SP:WaW and would love to test the new game for PBEM.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
fmonster

Post by fmonster »

Any... News,... At all???
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

They probably announced this game 4 years too early? Someone jokingly said on the first page of this post 5-7 years looks like they could be correct? Like you fmonster this is the only war game I am looking forward to so I guess we will just have to be patient. That being said after 4 years of waiting you think they would be able to at least get someone to tell us a half a page of news instead of the "progress is on going" spiel.[>:]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

For a four year old announcement the complete lack of info is rather disappointing...
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

Vaporware, sadly. Hope I'm wrong, but the lack of any development news means it's just that....vaporware.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes you are[;)]

wrong that is, as games in development
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
wrong that is, as games in development
Yeah, so we hear.

But after four years without a single specific announcement, feature list, screenshot, timeline, status update, etc., the distinction between Matrix's definition of "in development" and "vaporware" can be rather fine. Let's not forget that according to Matrix, Combined Arms has been "in development" since about 2004, and still no sign of that one. Can we consider that one vaporware yet?
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: Jugger

They probably announced this game 4 years too early

Well, they sold World in Flames six years too early, so we are still on the lucky side.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Yea, I mean I really wish they wouldn't announce games way too early but if I had to pick between announcing game too early vs releasing game too early I'm going to choose the former every time.

The only real vaporware on this forum is Combined Arms. Lead dev hasn't been on forums in like 5 years and game has supposedly been in development for 16 years.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I think the all-time gold prize for communication goes to the Campaign Series dev team, which puts out regular updates about status, screen shots, cool features, etc. I bought their Mid East game even though I have no interest in the theater, just because of their awesomeness. The FOG2, Flashpoint Campaigns, and Desert War dev teams are also very good about communications.

While I certainly wouldn't expect most devs to meet the Campaign Series' lofty standard, it doesn't seem like some kind of substantive update after four years would be unreasonable.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I suspect forum administrators are eating popcorn while reading this thread and they have invited Matrix staff regulars to join them
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen
I suspect forum administrators are eating popcorn while reading this thread and they have invited Matrix staff regulars to join them
Actually I suspect that their reaction is more like "Not this s**t again..."[>:][>:][>:]
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

There was a Matrix Games many years ago that provided Steel Panthers for free. It was a great organization at the time. Providing the game for free and all the support provided in the early years made me a long term fan of Matrix Games.

Steel Panthers is still my favorite game.

I hope there is a return to the excellent support for this game in the future ...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Great points and I remember that Matrix and a lot of the great products they developed and produced. I fear they, along with the people that made them great, don’t exist here anymore. Sad really, when I realize such a big part of a hobby I’ve loved in various forms isn’t what it used to be, but, I get it. Focusing on catering to an aging customer base isn’t a business model for success.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Not being in the business I don't know the economics that are at play, but I am/have been involved in business management most of my life, and I have always wondered at the trend in gaming that is so focused on the 'mass market'. Although it makes sense to me to pursue the mass market ... and those who want 'quick and easy' play, isn't there a market for the complex game market? Seems to me that older game players tend to have more time and money, and a game like Steel Panthers could be sold for a premium.

I have always looked for the niche market that is willing to pay a premium and be loyal to my product. This has been the core concept in my personal success. Could it make sense for Matrix to have a small team focusing on this?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Good point, I wonder how many of the young people know about these games? I ask them at times and they look at me with a perplexed grin, " What you play Fortnite"? No, strategy games and they look at you as some old geezer.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: rwenstrup

Not being in the business I don't know the economics that are at play, but I am/have been involved in business management most of my life, and I have always wondered at the trend in gaming that is so focused on the 'mass market'.
"Mass market" has been a thing for video games since 1980's, Pong, and Space Invaders. The 2 games are from '70's, but it could be argued that video games weren't in the "mass market" at the time yet.
Although it makes sense to me to pursue the mass market ... and those who want 'quick and easy' play, isn't there a market for the complex game market? Seems to me that older game players tend to have more time and money, and a game like Steel Panthers could be sold for a premium.
Sure, go right ahead. Or if you mean new games, then how about War in the West? Every day tens (hundreds even?) new games are released and coming available. Guess do they all fit into "mass market"?
I have always looked for the niche market that is willing to pay a premium and be loyal to my product. This has been the core concept in my personal success. Could it make sense for Matrix to have a small team focusing on this?
They have. They're working on Steel Tigers now.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Not interested in a debate ... Steel Tigers was announced a number of years ago ...

I don't control the resources, don't work in the industry ... but I believe, based upon owning a couple of businesses and being a long term Steel Panthers player/fan that there is an opportunity for this game and others like it. The fact that the game was announced a number of years ago and is not available indicates that the effort is not being pursued aggressively.

I have War in the East/West ... they are excellent games ...

Not attacking here ... just mentioning what I see as an opportunity ... just my humble opinion ...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen
They have. They're working on Steel Tigers now.
hmmm, the latest entry in 2x3's "What's New" page is from December 2014. No mention of Steel Tigers. Not especially encouraging.

Whatever the size of the market, whatever the timing for release, I still think that it is pretty reasonable to expect some kind of substantive status update for a game announced four years ago.

Until then, I'm going to have to assume that the game is stuck in some kind of limbo for technical or legal reasons and may never see the light of day.
Infierno

Post by Infierno »

ORIGINAL: rwenstrup

Not interested in a debate ... Steel Tigers was announced a number of years ago ...

I don't control the resources, don't work in the industry ... but I believe, based upon owning a couple of businesses and being a long term Steel Panthers player/fan that there is an opportunity for this game and others like it. The fact that the game was announced a number of years ago and is not available indicates that the effort is not being pursued aggressively.

I have War in the East/West ... they are excellent games ...

Not attacking here ... just mentioning what I see as an opportunity ... just my humble opinion ...

If only Shrapnel Games would get off their asses and actually develop a tactical WW2 wargame. Maybe they could call it "All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy"
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

Return to “General Discussion”