New to this game and way in over my head

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

cfulbright

RE: New to this game and way in over my head

Post by cfulbright »

Roger,

Some suggestions:

1. Mass your UK and CA infantry divs on one coast of Italy or the other. Stack three high and three-wide if possible, but when you attack, don't use all three divs in the Deliberate attack, so you can move forward the one unused div and attack again on the retreated Axis unit.

2. Do three Ground Attack Interdict or Unit attacks, each on a single hex (so hex size would be "0"), to get maximum destruction and disruption. Have some FB's in the Ground Support role. Make sure those airgroups have the optimal loadout (I prefer 1,000lb bombs).

3. Assign the UK and CA armored and tank brigades to infantry divisions the turn before you plan to attack. Then in the turn you attack, and assuming a successful attack, you can "convert" the brigades and advance them one hex into the breach.

4. Keep your armoured divs for a breakout rather than using them as assault units.

Cary

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Thank you, I shall investigate these ideas. I am still on the Tunisia scenario, not Italy.

I have started looking at the detailed combat reports, they take an age but the detail on them is amazing.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

Assign some engineers to your attacking units. They are very useful when attacking fortified positions.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Yes I know the usefulness of combat engineers from WITP:AE. I don't seem to have great number available and I find it very arbitrary when I try to assign them to units for an attack....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”