New Midway Movie Trailer

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: New Midway Movie Trailer

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

If you've never read the book 'Enemy at the Gates', it's a good read. The movie is based on 3-4 pages of a 1200 page book.
I read a tome "Barbarossa" on the war in Russia - the author tried to show the turn of each major battle on the actions of one or a few soldiers from either side doing heroic things at just the right moment. I suspect "Enemy at the Gates" would have to have even more of such first-person detail to get to 1200 pages. That is just more detail than I want to read. Canadian author Pierre Burton covered the 900 days of the Siege of Leningrad in much fewer pages and I got a pretty good sense of 'what it was like' without excessive detail. That's about my speed these days ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Nah. We'd be screaming at the screen the whole time about lack of arrest wires on B-26s and pan the movie just based on that alone.
Well, Biggles did it - landed his B-24 (!) on a carrier just outside Borneo. A British carrier, at that...! So, why not?

Fred
----

In what Biggles book was that?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

That looks like they are doing part two of The Movie that Shan't Ever be Mentioned.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

If you've never read the book 'Enemy at the Gates', it's a good read. The movie is based on 3-4 pages of a 1200 page book.

Aye. A classic. One of the first books I read on the Eastern Front as a teenager.

The movie is comparative alliterative rubbish.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

I'm envisioning it as a "12 Angry Men" rip-off, except rather than argue for guilt or innocence in a courtroom trial, it's JFB's and AFB's deciding if the Yamato or Iowa would win in a fight.

...it would be over the budget
...probably men would die starring in it but no Zeroes would be harmed ...
...it will be as longer than Bondarchuk's War and Peace

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Nah. We'd be screaming at the screen the whole time about lack of arrest wires on B-26s and pan the movie just based on that alone.
Well, Biggles did it - landed his B-24 (!) on a carrier just outside Borneo. A British carrier, at that...! So, why not?

Fred
----

Biggles on Borneo, if I remember correctly. He was also operating from the secret Dutch air bases on Borneo, Samarinda I and II.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Orm

Post by Orm »

Fred
----

Biggles on Borneo, if I remember correctly. He was also operating from the secret Dutch air bases on Borneo, Samarinda I and II.

Fred
I suspected as much. But I didn't remember him flying a B-24 there. He mostly flew the Bristol Beaufighter in that book. At least according to my memory so I decided to check how accurate it was. And the wiki pages linked below concur although that doesn't guarantee it is correct. I noticed your comment on the Beaufighter page [:)]

https://biggles.fandom.com/wiki/Categor ... ggles_flew
https://biggles.fandom.com/wiki/Bristol_Beaufighter
Orm

Post by Orm »

I see that they used the B-24 under a different name as a "load carrier" in the Borneo book.

https://biggles.fandom.com/wiki/Consoli ... _Liberator
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

I see that they used the B-24 under a different name as a "load carrier" in the Borneo book.

https://biggles.fandom.com/wiki/Consoli ... _Liberator
I believe the story was that they escaped in the B-24 (Liberator) and landed on a British carrier.
It is more than 60 years since I read the book, and a Norwegian edition, at that...[;)]. It may
have been flown by Algy or Bertie. As you know, they flew everything...[;)]..

Lately I have acquired some 1st edition Biggles books, but I haven't got as far as "Borneo" - they are
quite rare - and expensive - as 1st editions.

Fred
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you. [:)] [&o]

I do remember much of that book although the details elude me. And I didn't remember the escape at all. Except that they had to escape.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I looked at the fan link and could not find a picture or artist depiction of ... Biggles.
I looked at the character list and could not find the name ... Biggles.
I did find a book cover art for Biggles in Borneo, and it appears to show his aircraft hitting ... an Essex class Carrier!

Attachments
Biggles_in..khampton.jpg
Biggles_in..khampton.jpg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 126 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I looked at the fan link and could not find a picture or artist depiction of ... Biggles.
I looked at the character list and could not find the name ... Biggles.
I did find a book cover art for Biggles in Borneo, and it appears to show his aircraft hitting ... an Essex class Carrier!

It's even worse than that! Apparently, it's a captured Essex Class carrier that has been re-flagged by the Japanese! So ka! [X(]
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

You guys have no historical knowledge…?

Fred
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

It's even worse than that! Apparently, it's a captured Essex Class carrier that has been re-flagged by the Japanese! So ka! [X(]

This one better for you...? From the 1st edition of the book.

Unfortunately some of the illustrators weren't always into what was going on.

What I find interesting with the Biggles books is how the author relates to the real history, being it planes flown, locations or the general world situation. Sometimes he is spot on - as in Biggles in Spain (during the Civil War) and in the Baltic. For that matter, in "Borneo", too.

It is rather impressive how Biggles and his trusted gang can jump into ANY plane and just take off. No briefing necessary be
it a Dornier 24 or a Heinkel 115. They are also known to have flown the Sunderland, the SM-79 and the Wellington, to name a
few..[;)]

Fred

Attachments
Page291.jpg
Page291.jpg (71.85 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Interestingly enough, the hardcover front of the 1st edition also shows a carrier, probably the one they landed the
B-24 on. Quite a feat - or what..? I believe they took off again, too...[;)]..!!

From this it is obvious that the carrier had a central place in the story.

Fred

Attachments
22883909506[1].jpg
22883909506[1].jpg (441.6 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Look interesting, but I cannot rate it cause I haven't seen it. But seeing part of the trailer does seem alittle off though.

On the youtube comments, there are up and down with griefs, so I wouldn't pay much for this one. I do believe Tora Tora Tora as well Midway is good movie, just need to update the graphics, making it look more realistic instead of using modern warships in the background.

There aren't very many good WWII movies out there.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Why would they be remaking this flick …..?
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Just watched the trailer. From the makers of Independence Day? uh-oh....
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Christ, that "Dauntless" trailer has more plastic in it than the whole Pacific Ocean. Everything feels fake. Should have been named 'The Battle of Greenscreen". At least film the actors outdoors in natural lighting from time to time...
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Stumbled across the Midway trailer on YouTube this evening and committed some kind of mastur-torture by watching it again.

Explosions rock ships at Pearl...No, wait! They don't rock them at all. The ships just sit placidly.

Attachments
Midway Trailer 1.jpg
Midway Trailer 1.jpg (149.02 KiB) Viewed 127 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”