Steam Summer Sale

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zorch

RE: Steam Summer Sale

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

Its odd that Matrix doesn't pricematch, its not like we're talking about new games. Don't follow HPS down the obsolescence path.
HPS became obsolete because they stopped releasing new games. No comparison with Matrix.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Personally I think the HPS decline had more to do with Tiller forming his own company. Tiller games were the main and most important part of HPS.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Spent 12€ [:D]

Bundle:
- Heat Signature (Tactical rouge like)
- Gunpoint (2D Spy game)
- Morphblade (Grid/hex strategy)
--
- Don´t Starve (Survival)
- Rekindling (Rimworld like)

Red
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

Its odd that Matrix doesn't pricematch, its not like we're talking about new games. Don't follow HPS down the obsolescence path.
HPS became obsolete because they stopped releasing new games. No comparison with Matrix.

The point I was making was old games being sold for full price. Particularly games that wont function on WIn10 like Uncommon Valor.
And before you say it, I realize Tiller games are an exception. ;)
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Tiller games work great on W10, at least the ones I bought from his site.

That´s what I meant with older games being to expensive and/or have work arounds for them to work on W10. Uncommon Valor, Carriers at War to name two I would have bought if it wasent for price/handycap W10.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Red2112

ORIGINAL: demyansk

With Steam, I think the options for updates on the games is system wide? I am going on memory and that's what I remember or it didn't allow prevention of updates within a specific game or something to that effect. Can someone check

Not system wide, but I just checked and there´s no option for you to hold on to a past version! If you click the pull down menu from the update tab (game specific), you wont find a option to hold-on to what ever version you may want, so yeah I stand corrected, and sorry for misleading, I always though you could do that, hence there being a option. Never tried it till now so quite surprised to be honest!

My bad, again sorry for that...

Red
Look at the screenshot here. Two different versions available for Civ4:BtS. One labeled original_release_unsupported is likely the same as DVD version of the game and it's there for multiplayer compatibility. Works too, I have used it.

In UPDATES tab is a drop-down menu with a choice: Only update this game when I launch it. Choose it and game don't update unless you start it from Steam. You can run game without Steam from the game directory which by default (at least for me) is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common . Start the game from there and automatic update don't happen. You can even duplicate the game directories and install mods on them without Steam. User made game folders don't get automatically updated or otherwise altered by Steam and therefore mods will stay intact. I've done that with Artemis.

Attachments
civ4.jpg
civ4.jpg (175.77 KiB) Viewed 96 times
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Oh I see, thanks Kuokkanen! Wasent aware of that, and let me say it´s not stated upfront with out someone digging in would know!

Again, thanks for making that clear to us!
terje439

Post by terje439 »

For those that do use steam, if you join the summer race thingamabob they have going, and then log into games with achivements you have unlocked and play said game for 30 mins, you should get quite a few summer sale tokens. For 15k tokens (which is not as much as it sounds if you have some achivements unlocked 53% of Civ VI achivements gave me 20k tokens) you get a (roughly) 5 euro discount to the next game you buy at steam.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Steam?! Whachca mean 'use Steam?'
Donncha know, I bought CCS Desert Rats in 1982. An I ain't never gonna not no need no more game n'that, dagnabbit!

Hll..I owned the original War in the pacific. Cost me goddarn near $30 back in them days. Now why would I wanna buy a brand new version? When I'ken kep me old Dosshell 386 dell going..just as good as new.

Don't need no fancy goddarn millenial 'ventions like interface or graphics. Why, I likes me games to take 50 minutes to play a turn. That way gives me time to read the 500 page manual to remind me what all the buttons on the 3.1 interface are for.

Tooltips is for RTS whippersnapper kids games. Don't need nothin' like no tootorial! Them's as ken read no tootorial from a book, ain't worth talkin' too.

Updates you say? What in the name of gee-ho-see-fat would I wanna update for? If it ain't broke. Then no need of a fixin, see. Why, if it worked as good as new in 1993, why bother with an update? Internet. It's like witchycraft, says em so.

An Steam..Why the darn gum'inment, them's control all that. Spyin' on what a fwellah puts in his freezer, ain't that so? Or worse. heck, I shoot the compooter in half, for I as give 'em GOOGLE and 'em FACEbook types my data, fer nu'ttin.

Downloading, you says? What I need thar for? I need my dial up bandwidth fer git the weather channel. Coz the Tv gon daen broke isself in 2002 and i ain't never gonna spend a dime more to have no new one. So I needs the download fer other stuff. Not no goddamn STEAM. Taking a fellahs bandwidth! Why should be law 'gainst it. Lock all 'em up, says I!

Now..Any youse pantywaist, Johnny come a lately wargaming know it all's wanna play operational art of war II?
I kin no play IV. On account goddarn microsoft don't be supporting that DOS no more. Like the theiving bandits them is. Took my dollar back in 1978 and now, 'em says , 'Gee Forrest Grump, we got a whole new thing happening now.'

Like I want that! Alls I need is I love Lucy and a telephone that plugs in a wall. Not some fancy thing that you can walk about the house with. Who needs that sort of nonsense? Be having in-car navigators 'stead of good ole maps next. World's gone mad, I tells yuh. Plain, plumb crazy.

Steam..What a load of ...
FirstPappy

Post by FirstPappy »

Aggressors: Ancient Rome 40% off $17.99
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I still have those 360 games in the boxes, good ole 3.5" disks
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: ezzler

Steam?! Whachca mean 'use Steam?'
Donncha know, I bought CCS Desert Rats in 1982. An I ain't never gonna not no need no more game n'that, dagnabbit!
I have typed a post as a response for just these sort of things
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
GaretBale

Post by GaretBale »

Bought a few games as well. These sales are good.

Return to “General Discussion”