Mike & Mike - USS America (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mike Solli

RE: Mike & Mike - USS America (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

Man Lowpe. You're making me think! At work of all places! [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Looks like the Ki-48-IIb DB is its own line. Hmmm. What to do...
Created by the amazing Dixie
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Cockroach run strategy. Nice description. [:D]

Anyway, I've decided on my aircraft R&D, good, bad or ugly:

5 Rufe - to the Zero line.
12 Sam
2 Jill
3 Grace
3 Judy
1 Ki-115a - may change this to something else. Not sure.
3 Oscar - Keep going back and forth on this one.
6 Tojo - IIc is the goal.
3 Helen - I'll keep the Sally around until the IIa becomes operational. Lily for a short time, probably through Jan 42. IIa is the goal.
3 Peggy TB
12 Frank
12 George
12 Ki-83

That's all the R&D factories. As lines complete (or when I achieve the model I want) I'll switch them to other models. The Ki-115 and Toka eventually along with some NF. We'll see what else. Some jets if things advance faster than anticipated.

Right now, I'm allocating 5 engine factories to the Ha-43 and 4 to the Ha-45. That may increase.

Looks like a solid approach. As you know, you may want others, but its impossible to get them all. Just remember that those kami planes represent army, Ki-115, and navy, Toka. I messed that up in my current game.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

90 A6M2 Zero

OK, minimalist.[:D]

I think this is too high. I've used it before, but now think that 60 may be enough. Do you have 'PDU On', I forget. Well if you do remember you can 'downgrade' lots of LB Zero's in the HI to 'Claudes'. The reason I decided to go the way I'm advocating is the M2 Zero doesn't link to the M5 or M anything IIRC. That means all goes to zero on production to the M5. By keeping it to 60 you save 30k supply. You remember supply don't cha. The stuff Japan doesn't have...[:D]

JMHO. YMMV.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

15 B5N2 Kate

Unless you have heavy losses I don't think you'll need 'em.

I've found the N1's to be enough, but if you wish to hedge your bet with this guy, so be it.

jdsrae

Post by jdsrae »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

15 Val is a bit short IMO
This was my main thought too.
I’ve got mine at 30, I resized a few land based Val groups for NS/ASW and I have very few Vals in the pool for reinforcement Val groups that are coming
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

27 E13A1 Jake

This is my insanity plane. I crank 'em up to 90 in two factories (one later goes to the Norm, I think). Then I resize tons of float groups over time. This plane has not stopped production since my games' inception, and I'm at the end of May, '43. I only have some 90 in the pools, and have maybe another half dozen units to convert to it. Then again I've said I do things that will curl some players toes. Even Miss Graffen referred to players who do this as 'idiots'. I did not take it personally.[:D]

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

30 G3M2 Nell

Never built one of these, I wait for the M3. IIRC it comes soon enough, your Betties should last 'til then.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

34 Ki-48-Ib Lily

Don't bother with this one. Bomb size too small. I still have plenty in operation though, trainers.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

30 Ki-56 Thalia (main IJAAF transport)

Like this plane, don't build it though. Too much early demand for the Ha-35, so I go with the Topsy's. First the one then the two. I don't build a bunch either as I don't produce the Ha-31 either. I use the existing pool to split between the Topsy II and the Dinah II recon. It holds IMHO. I even convert the Topsy's to Hickories later to suck up some of the engines they use. This is where I give back some of the supply I saved on the Zero's. The Hickories suffice on some short hop resup routes and training groups until I get the Helen's.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I really want the Tojo as my main IJAAF fighter through 42.

Obvious choice and best you have through that time frame.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Yep, it is low. Right now, all my Val carrying carriers are full up with 3 spares and I have some in the pool. I'll increase it slowly over the next couple of months to 30, possibly higher dependent on Mike's aggressiveness. I'm not too concerned with having a decent pool of them when the Judy arrives because I'll need a fair number for training units.

The Hikari will be exhausted around Sep 42. No big hurry unless I run low on available operational factories, which is unlikely. I like to use the B5N1 for MKB. They're not much different from the N2 really and I try to keep MKB out of trouble if possible.

Same thoughts with the other available engines.

Topsy (Ha-5) Apr 42
Glen (Amaze) Dec 42
Mary (Kawasaki (early)) May 42. I may only build that factory up to 10, in which case the engine will be exhausted August 42.

As I've said, I don't build the Kate N2. If PDU On is in use you can swap out some of the Kates in the HI for Jean's and the other torp plane Japan has at the start of the game.

I don't build the Mary either. I feel I have more than enough one engine bombers to get me through the early game where they can operate out of small bases. Later as things get tougher I want more bang for my buck. I think those engines are used in the Hickory transport, that's where I use them. Well not all of them, as I recall I built about 100 Hickories.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

my opinion is that 30x L3Y2 production is too high.

Now that you mention it... You only have two groups of these, and the second comes in in early '43. These may then be replaced by the Emily-L or what's that LBA transport that looks like a DC-3.

I set it to 15 IIRC. It'll probably work at 10. Save the supply.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Good thought about the Helen. Without any acceleration the IIa comes 9/42. With that thought, I don't see any reason to allocate any factories to it. What would 1 factory do, get you 1 or an outside chance of 2 months? I do like the Helen for its armor and 1 more hex of range.

And since in scenario 1 it uses the same engine as the Tojo, I go for the Helen as well. I think I had three researching too, I'll have to check my notes. I didn't produce the first model, same as Sally. Went with the IIa and then IIb. Producing 60/month.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
No Lilly dive bomber?

Nope, I just can't get past the 100kg bomb.

And only two, they'll ping off anything larger than a DD.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The Lilly divebomber is a great anti fletcher platform, and those tiny 100kg bombs are SAP! Long range, and drops two. Very useful.

Have some other thoughts on how to defend against Fletcher raids. TBH I would not be against them if I could have enough bomber groups based forward. With Japan's limited number of groups and tight spaces on forward airfields I just don't see how I could accommodate them. Add to that IMHO they're a one off aircraft (Fletcher deterrence) and I can't use them. I could be wrong, but...

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Man Lowpe. You're making me think! At work of all places! [:D]

What's work for anyway.[:D]

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Looks like the Ki-48-IIb DB is its own line. Hmmm. What to do...

Now, now, not so fast. Check my rebuttal.[:D]

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

15 Val is a bit short IMO
This was my main thought too.
I’ve got mine at 30, I resized a few land based Val groups for NS/ASW and I have very few Vals in the pool for reinforcement Val groups that are coming

I too, think this is better, but you could get there slowly over time.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
No Lilly dive bomber?

Nope, I just can't get past the 100kg bomb.

And only two, they'll ping off anything larger than a DD.

Absolutely not true. [:-]

Only BB are relatively safe, but the the bombs knock out devices on them so I will take it.

Plus they fly with full load from a size 2 runway...super versatile. Gives you an Army bomber...

One factory will suffice.

Return to “After Action Reports”