How to fix the game.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

joelmar

RE: How to fix the game.

Post by joelmar »

Yeah, you're right, I have been most unwise I should shut my big mouth, which I will do of course ;-)

I will leave you with Blumentritt, a veteran of 2 WW on the eastern front:

"It was appalingly difficult country for tank movement - great virgin forests, widespread swamps, terrible roads and bridges not strong enough to bear the weight of tanks. The resistance also became stiffer, and the Russians began to cover their front with minefields. It was easier for them to block the way because there were so few roads. The great motor highway leading from the frontier to Moscow was unifinished - the one road a westerner would call a 'road'... such a country was bad enough for tanks, but worst still for the transport accompanying them - carrying their fuel, their supplies and all the auxiliary troops they needed. Nearly all this transport consisted of wheeled vehicles which could not move off the roads, nor move on it if the sand turned into mud. And hour or 2 of rain reduced the panzer forces to stagnation. It was an extraordinary sight, with groups of them being stung out over a hundrer-mile-stretch, all stuck - until the sun came out and the ground dried. Hoth was delayed by swamps as well as bursts of rain."
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

I can't help to post this here [:D]

Attachments
Someone-is..internet.jpg
Someone-is..internet.jpg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 165 times
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

@Evk: +1 [:'(]
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

It appears we are now reading the same sources. The roads on the WitE2 map are much better in the Baltic States.

On rail repair you are looking at the advance through the Baltic States as well where things were much faster. WitE has rules to factor this in. I haven't played WitE in a while but I seem to remember the RRC cost was 1 MP. In WitE2 we have a random damage algorithm and we have tested against the figures you quote. The same swift advance of the rails was not the same for Army Groups Centre and South.

I agree that the Germans would have set up their own fuel dumps but as they have to get the fuel there in the first place the limiting factor comes backs to the trucks as the dumps don't miraculously appear.

I'll try and use another analogy to show what happens with supply. If you have an average bath full of water and you are not connected to the mains water supply then you can hold about 80 Litres of water. All you have on hand is that 80 litres. So if two people want a bath they are either sharing or one person goes without.

If you have mains water on tap then the fill rate is about 6 Litres per Minute - so you can have a new bath every 15 minutes if you want as you have almost unlimited supply. If you don't and you have to fill the bath with two 10 Litre bucket then you have to make 4 trips to fill the Bath. Let's say for arguments sake that the round trip with a bucket takes 15 minutes - so you can have a bath every hour! 4 times slower than if you had mains/unlimited supply.

This is what I mean by throughput - as the bath has limited capacity the important factor is how fast you can refill it. If you look at fuel supply the capacity in the fuel tanks of the vehicles consuming the fuel (and their rate of consumption) is much more that can be held at any single given time by the forward depots (the bath) or the delivery system (bucket). Better still a chain of people passing buckets but you need more buckets. This is why for D-Day the Allies put a pipeline in from the UK called PLUTO.

The problem in Barbarossa is that the supply system could not keep up with the rate of consumption because the Units were using too much and advancing faster than they could be supplied. The lack of roads was not only turning the 15 minute round trip with your bucket of water into 20/30/45 minutes and buckets were breaking which reduced the capacity. That round trip was also increasing every day. What was then happening was that not only did you have to do a trip for water but also for a new bucket(spares) at the expense of water. As things were getting difficult and sweaty the water carriers wanted their own bath and a rest too. This further reduces throughput.

This is military logistics in a nutshell - the moment that you move away from supply on tap things get progressively more difficult. You quote: "Over limited distances (200 to 300 miles), however, truck transportation could temporarily assume the railroad's supply function." What that quote doesn't mention is for how long....what happened is that they broke the supply system very quickly. This is why the game uses the numbers it does. A huge amount of time and effort - research, coding and testing goes into these games to try and replicate history. We do make every effort to be historic. Please trust us that we have got it as close as we can given the limits in the game engine. WitE2 is even better but logistically Barbarossa and the East was a nightmare.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
chuckfourth

Post by chuckfourth »

OK, very good, so in WitE2 army group north will be able to achieve the historical rail repair rate of 16 hexes per turn? (82 hexes repaired by end week 5) on average?
You say that WitE1 has rules to factor this in but not really, you can only fix 6 hexes per turn, well short of the historical achievement of 16.
Sure Logistics was a nightmare but not for Army group North and not at the start of the campaign, after all don't forget Gen. Lt. a.D, Max Bork a Branch Chief in the Transportation Division says Group North's road network was good enough to "meet all demands"

Correct that reference doesn't say how long the trucks can replace the rail head but other references agree that the distance they could do that was about 200-300 miles. So, how long could they fully supply the army 300 miles from the railhead? Clearly at least a week. The Germans never had better supply than in week one. So the Game should START with the unpenalised supply range from a rail head of 30 hexes. Then each week lose a hex or two in range until we get down to the minimum somewhere around 20 hexes, still twice what you now have.

So throughput is the number of locomotives or trucks on a route or capacity? well not a great shortage of these early in the campaign I would think. I mean that earlier quote from van creveld seems a bit suspicious to me. They lost 25 per cent of grosstransportraum by day 19 so 50% by day 38?, all out of trucks by day 76? It just doesn't add up.

I had a dig around and actually I do have some maps of Russian roads as it turns out, in
"German Report Series Terrain factors in the Russian campaign"
Here is what their maps tell us. Roads are classified into Rollbahn,1st class, 2nd class and others. The First map from June 41 shows a Rollbaun running east west through Pruzhany to Slonim it then travels east. There is also a First class road going east to Slutzk and another to Pinsk. They mention in the text that the 255th divisions mission was to open up the "Vlodava-Maloryta-Korin highway"(70 miles) not the Vlodava-Maloryta-Korin farmtrack. The text also describes the road between Brest Litovsk and Slonim as a Rollbaun Highway of 110 miles . The second Map is from July 41 and shows a1st class road running north from Gomel to Orsha and West from Gomel in the direction of Brest Litovsk. It also shows a Rollbaun running all the way from Slutzk to Roslaval. A third map from October 41 of the Bryansk area shows a Rollbahn running west to Roslaval and east to Orel. A 1st class road runs north to Kirov. Two 1st class roads radiate out from Roslaval and a Rollbaun south west all the way to Slutzk. That is quite a lot of quite good roads. So it would appear there are usually "first class" roads running between the major centres.

OK so Rail repair rate not so good in Centre and South as in North, agreed, but see
https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic ... 55&t=51767
Have a look at the 9th post on this forum. For army group Centre, Rail to Baranovichi by 1st July that's 16 hexes hexes fixed in two weeks twice what the game allows. Minsk by 5th July that's 24 hexes by week 2 that's 5 times what the game allows.
by mid July guaranteed 14 trains a day to Minsk, that's 4 weeks for 24 hexes, the game allows less than 16 hexes in the same time. So historically they had 98 trains a week arriving in Minsk by week 4, that's 441000 tons of supply a week. In week 4 in the game your still two weeks away from even fixing the rail as far as Minsk. Smolensk by the end of July, that's 45 hexes in 6 weeks. Overall then army group Centre historically fixed 7 rail hexes per week. The game allows, considering terrain less than 4 per week. not enough!

On throughput or capacity, same reference.
"On 15 July 1941, the quartermaster general reviewed the supply status of, Army Group Center in terms of its capabilities to continue offensive operations. He made it clear that the great rail head for continuing operations lay in the cities of Minsk and Molodecno, no longer on the prewar frontier. The army group then had 45,450 tons of 60-ton truck columns and, deducting one-third as inoperable at any time and in repair, still had approximately 30,700 tons available for continuous operations.{16} In mid-July 1941 the German army transportation chief guaranteed the substantial total of fourteen trains and 6,300 tons of supplies daily for the Minsk-Molodecno base. The quartermaster general averred that, based on the logistical situation of 15 July 1941, Army Group Center could conduct an offensive on Moscow with four panzer, three motorized infantry, and ten infantry divisions with appropriate army reserves, maintaining the remainder of the army group in static fighting around Smolensk. This logistical feat was moderately impressive for the middle of July, with enough trains arriving at the Minsk-Molodecno railroad and more than enough trucks to move a panzer group and an infantry army to Moscow. Meanwhile, the Germans were fighting the battle of Smolensk and would take two more weeks to finish the job and another week to tidy up operationally. The Germans used this time to build up logistic stockpiles at the rail head in the center of White Russia and regauge the main rail line from Minsk through Orsha into Smolensk{17}."

and this

" As early as 12 July 1941, the quartermaster general of the German army noted in a telephone call to the chief of staff that Army Group Center had enough supplies to maintain an armored drive to Moscow. He also notes that the infantry had only enough to get to Smolensk. It follows that as early as 12 July, the Germans were close to having logistics under control for a push almost straight through to Moscow. See Halder. Diaries, vol. 6. p. 231. "

Even if you do adjust road and rail supply to the correct historical levels you still can't conform to the Germans historical abilities because supply is allocated randomly. What you need to do is add a supply button to each counter that does exactly what the refit button does but for supply. This allows the German player to give the panzer corps enough supply to maintain momentum which is what they did. You can then drop the punitive Supply Buildup option just allocate the supply (subject to distance qualifiers) where it is needed in the first place.

Can you please take the time to read this reference as well?
https://www.hgwdavie.com/blog/2018/3/9/ ... r-19411945 he says this,

"By the conclusion of the Smolensk battle in early August, it is clear that the supply situation was under strain, and despite over a month’s pause in operations, there were insufficient supplies to carry the units forward to Moscow" later the writer comments that in winter the supply situation fell over.
So I agree with the Supply nightmare in Winter, sure and serious in the mud, but up until August supply was OK. In the game supply is rubbish right from the start, not from august. All the spearheads runs out in week 3. Fix supply and the Russian has to fight forward and you have a game that starts in week 1.
This same reference also gives plenty of pertinent information on rail throughput.

I would also suggest you use the correct national boundary for the 3 Baltic states rather than the current slightly arbitrary zig zag boundary

Please dont invoke limits of the game engine as an excuse to have ahistorical German supply. The approach the game should take is to have the known historical facts accurate in the game, if that is done and play balance suffers that tells you that something else is wrong and that is what should be adjusted not the historical facts. Nerfing this and nerfing that to get what in the end is just someone's opinion of how operation Barbarossa should play is never going to end well.

Also from
https://www.allworldwars.com/Comments-o ... -Bork.html

"The establishment of speedways for general automotive traffic and of special thoroughfares to be used only by tanks proved very effective in preserving motor vehicles and made possible a fairly smooth flow of traffic. There also was a definite correlation between the attrition of motor vehicles and the distance between the railheads and the combat units.
During the muddy season in the spring and fall, which usually lasted for eight weeks, a very heavy burden was placed on the railroad because most of the roads became impassable.
Whenever there was a lack of road repair crews, only a few main routes were kept open for traffic. Unimproved and poorly surfaced roads had to be closed to traffic. Wherever this measure was neglected, the roads became completely impassable, even on occasions during summer. Prior to closing these roads the Germans saw to it that a maximum amount of supplies for the duration of the muddy season was stockpiled at the front."

Partisans in Army Groups South's area nonexistent, is another interesting revelation, what are you thinking about that? perhaps this is another area you are familiar with Joelmar?

EwaldvonKleist, something is wrong in the game not the internet. If you became elite guard with posts of this quality... well no need to say any more really.

Bottom line is I am really looking forward to playing this game. But I just cant swallow the current supply situation.
Best Regards Chuck
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

You won't find the logistics in WitE2 any easier as you no longer have unlimited supply available from any working rail.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: chuckfourth

So throughput is the number of locomotives or trucks on a route or capacity? well not a great shortage of these early in the campaign I would think. I mean that earlier quote from van creveld seems a bit suspicious to me. They lost 25 per cent of grosstransportraum by day 19 so 50% by day 38?, all out of trucks by day 76? It just doesn't add up.

Bottom line is I am really looking forward to playing this game. But I just cant swallow the current supply situation.

You've clearly never studied queueing theory have you? If you are going to make these sort of claims I'd suggest a least dip your toe into that field, it may help you interpret the sources that you think prove you are right.
chuckfourth

Post by chuckfourth »

John I don't want the Logistics to be any easier I would like them to be realistic.
Loki100 I have studied queuing theory. Rather than trying to frighten us with big words perhaps you could explain how it pertains to the points I have raised?
Best Regards Chuck
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

xhoel et al please don't think I am unfamiliar with the game I've played it enough to see the German supply regime is severely(unhistorically) nerfed by the unpenalised Kraftwagenkolonnen range of 10 instead of 44.

Yes, sounds as if you've played it all the way to turn 3.
Shalkai

Post by Shalkai »

chuckfourth, I'll try some explanations on a couple points where you seem to disagree with other posters and data.

First, an explanation of throughput reduction that you are extrapolating to 0% at 76 days...

Your extrapolation: 25% loss at day 19 > 50% loss at day 38 > 100% loss at day 76 (ten weeks). This is an incorrect formula to use. The Wehrmacht did not lose 25% of their starting total every 19 days, and thus had no transportation available at all after 76 days. Mathematically you are saying x = x(0) - 0.25t*x(0), where variable t is 19 days.

Simplified, but more realistic formula using your one base point of 25% reduction at 19 days....
x = x(0) * (0.75)^t [0.75 raised to the power t], where period of t is measured at 1 t = 19 days.

example: at 19 days, t=1, (0.75)^t = 0.75, and total grosstransportraum(a.k.a GTR) is thus 0.75 x original, or 75% of starting GTR.
.. at 38 days, t=2, (0.75)^t = 0.5625, and total GTR is thus 0.5625 original, or 56% of starting.
.. at 76 days, t=4, (0.75)^t = 0.3164, and total GTR is thus 0.3164 original, or 32% of starting.

Again, that equation is extremely simplified, but is using the proper type of exponential series to calculate a result.

The result of only 32% remaining usable is still not very accurate, but is a lot more accurate than 0%. For a better result, many more things have to be factored in...trucks getting repaired, new trucks being brought in, trucks stuck in the mud, trucks required to haul the fuel for other trucks to haul supplies, trucks to haul spare parts and tires for the fuel trucks for the supply trucks, etc., etc., ad nauseum. These are some of the things that the WitE game engine tries to factor into its calculations. I don't have all their formulas and data, but the game engine results are pretty close to matching historical evidence, certainly within a =/- 50% range (probably much better than that).

Some other points for you to consider...
AGN rail repair and throughput in the Baltics can NOT be used to extrapolate AGC/ACS rail lines. Baltic railroads were on the same European track gauge as the Germans used. They only had to repair bridges, switches, etc. then start rolling.

All other areas of the Soviet Union used the larger Russian track gauge. Every single meter of track had to be relaid before German railstock could use it. Conversion went much slower. Already modeled in the game.

This quantum difference is accounted for, modeled quite well, and plainly visible on the map as the 'Baltic Rail Zone'.

Another factor that impinged on both road and rail transport: Historical accounts from both sides relate how the Russians made it much harder to advance after the initial surprise wore off - roadblocks, mines, blown up bridges, etc. Already modeled in the game.

For another excellent, and extremely well-researched, example of the limits of long logistical supply lines, I refer you to the struggles of Gen. Patton's Third Army in France, July-Nov 1944. A 500km (300mi) truck-based supply chain does not give 100% desired supply deliveries - to anyone's army. (At least in a WWII setting)
chuckfourth

Post by chuckfourth »

MattFL Ive played the game past turn 3.
Shalkai OK I suggested no trucks by day 76 to make a point. That credlens quote is suspect precisely because it doesnt take into account the factors you mention, which leaves that quote in the rhelms of scaremongering for children.

Look I understand that WITE 1.0 'balanced' "Unlimited supply from any working railhead" by reducing Army Group Norths rail repair rate by about a third and Army Group Centre/South by a good half (Ive proved this is the amount of reduction above). This mechanism is crude and doesnt work, ie by week 3 the armoured spearheads are sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

So I welcome the loss of unlimited supply as long as WITE 2.0 incorporates the correct capacity (volumes) supplied here
https://www.hgwdavie.com/blog/2018/3/9/ ... r-19411945
This then needs to be combined with a unit "try to give me full supply" (with distance penalties) button working the same as refit button. And drop the punitive HQ buildup.
This allows the German player to send what supply he has where he needs it and hopefully improves his supply situation to the point where the Russian has to fight instead of run away.

Multiple sources say the grosstransportraum can replace the Railhead up to 30 hexes away. This never happens in the game but should clearly be possible on turn 1 as a minimum position.

I am not saying supply should be 100% just what it historically was.
Best Regards Chuck
king171717

Post by king171717 »

Chuckfourth,

Please listen to Dr. David Stahel to get an understand of how hopeless the Germans were of taking Moscow due to logistics.

I cant post links...
youtube- copy and paste this

2014 WWII Lecture series: Operation Barbarossa-Russia
2015 WWII Lecture Series-Dr. David Stahel

joelmar

Post by joelmar »

ORIGINAL: king171717

Please listen to Dr. David Stahel to get an understand of how hopeless the Germans were of taking Moscow due to logistics.

Very very good lecture king171717, worth listening to, the man obviously has a lot of knowledge on Barbarossa at all levels and brings a few very good and logical arguments no one mentionned yet in this thread.

Thank you for the link, I enjoyed a lot.

Talks about logistics and related topics starts from 56:35. Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxsdfcgfSS8
king171717

Post by king171717 »

ORIGINAL: joelmar
ORIGINAL: king171717

Very very good lecture king171717, worth listening to, the man obviously has a lot of knowledge on Barbarossa at all levels and brings a few very good and logical arguments no one mentionned yet in this thread.

Thank you for the link, I enjoyed a lot.

Talks about logistics and related topics starts from 56:35. Here is the link for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxsdfcgfSS8

Ya i really liked them!! Glad you enjoyed them!!
chuckfourth

Post by chuckfourth »

There is nothing I am unaware of in Stahels monologue. Further he says nothing that disputes anything I have said.
Sure the Germans were short of supply by Moscow I agree. In the game they are OUT of supply in week 3, that's way before Moscow. King171717, to be relevant you need to show me the reference that says the Germans ran out of supply in week 3
Best Regards Chuck
king171717

Post by king171717 »

There is nothing I am unaware of in Stahels monologue. Further he says nothing that disputes anything I have said.
Sure the Germans were short of supply by Moscow I agree. In the game they are OUT of supply in week 3, that's way before Moscow. King171717, to be relevant you need to show me the reference that says the Germans ran out of supply in week 3

OMG man, I dont think you know anything. Whats the point explaining things to u...
MattFL

Post by MattFL »

I read Stahel's book on operation Barbarossa about 8 or so years ago, maybe more. It more than anything else reminds me of playing this game. His basic thesis is that Germany was DONE by Smolensk and it all came down to an inability to maintain supply/refit/etc. over the long distances and shit infrastructure that was Russia. +1 to KING171717.

-732 to Chuckfourth who makes the mistake of gaining his understanding of the campaign from military handbooks (yeah, I have that one too - written by Americans no less) and obviously doesn't really play the game past turn 3 despite what he says. If he did, he wouldn't be bitching about anything.
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

Lancer, break up the lynch mob.

Excellent points, Chuck. Very persuasive. The big guns value marketability above accuracy. Budgets and publication deadlines can be disincentives to research/accuracy as well.
Aufklärungs
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Aufklaerungs

Lancer, break up the lynch mob.

Excellent points, Chuck. Very persuasive. The big guns value marketability above accuracy. Budgets and publication deadlines can be disincentives to research/accuracy as well.

I'm no longer a Moderator but that's another story. So without a Moderator tag let me say this...

I am 100% convinced that the 2by3 team has done everything possible to create as accurate a reflection of history as is possible. Money and time are not the primary factor - most of us are unpaid volunteers and were we in a rush WitE2 would already have released.

Chuck is entitled to his opinion but I disagree with his analysis on a number of levels. For example you can only compare to history if you follow history and I've not seen that evidence.

I commend you as the first to support his opinion but your suggestion that we have sacrificed accuracy for marketability does you no credit whatsoever.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

Thanks for the uncalled for credit rating. I don't think I earned a personal put-down.

There are a many, many inaccuracies in the game. Chuck cited just a very few. That said, the quality of research and detail is unparalleled, indeed; the product is peerless. I don't think many corrections in 1941 would pass muster with stock campaign players who prefer the USSR, but want a fair shot.

IIRC, by your own admission, several have been/are being rectified in WitE2.

Your many contributions to the game and this site are highly commendable and do you great credit, indeed, RL.

BTW, I would prefer to receive neg input/feedback in a pm.

And the mob was getting a little ugly.

Aufklärungs

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”