Advanced Squad Leader questions

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
asl3d

Advanced Squad Leader questions

Post by asl3d »

Do you have a method for mapping ASL units to HoS units? For example, if ASL uses a 467 what is the equivalent in HoS?

Gerry
Hello Gerry,
I'm following the "test and error" method, you know.
For example, I do not understand how it is possible that a unit of Heroes of Stalingrad (HoS) has a FP = 0. It is very strange, at least for me. Finally, I have decided to forget about the Power Factor of HoS because it does not follow the same pattern as that of ASL. The rest can work.
Specifically, your question about the unit USA 4-6-7 I think it does not exist in ASL. I guess you're asking about the German squad 4-6-7 (first line). The equivalent (in my opinion, debatable, of course) is the German squad 2-6-4-6 (I have also called it first line).
Both have the same range and ability to move. Morale in HoS is somewhat lower for most units, so I think that 1 point of difference is reasonable. The FP, of course, has nothing to do with it.
I take this opportunity to invite you to publish a scenario that you have created yourself. For example, in Barrikady you already have all the material available. If you have any questions, I can help you.
Courage!!!.
Regards,
Semper fidelis
Gerry4321

RE: Advanced Squad Leader questions

Post by Gerry4321 »

ORIGINAL: asl3d
Do you have a method for mapping ASL units to HoS units? For example, if ASL uses a 467 what is the equivalent in HoS?

Gerry
Hello Gerry,
I'm following the "test and error" method, you know.
For example, I do not understand how it is possible that a unit of Heroes of Stalingrad (HoS) has a FP = 0. It is very strange, at least for me. Finally, I have decided to forget about the Power Factor of HoS because it does not follow the same pattern as that of ASL. The rest can work.
Specifically, your question about the unit USA 4-6-7 I think it does not exist in ASL. I guess you're asking about the German squad 4-6-7 (first line). The equivalent (in my opinion, debatable, of course) is the German squad 2-6-4-6 (I have also called it first line).
Both have the same range and ability to move. Morale in HoS is somewhat lower for most units, so I think that 1 point of difference is reasonable. The FP, of course, has nothing to do with it.
I take this opportunity to invite you to publish a scenario that you have created yourself. For example, in Barrikady you already have all the material available. If you have any questions, I can help you.
Courage!!!.
Regards,
Hi:

I may get the courage to dapple in some ASL conversions if I can get the maps. But don't hold your breath! I have never created a scenario in my life other than a little test in HoS.

Yes, I meant the German 467 in ASL. I just found a Tactical System Nationality Capabilities chart over at Lock 'n Load.
Most German Wehrmacht units have a firepower of 1 (with one exception) - examples are 1-6-4, 1-4-4 with either 5 or 6 Morale. Only ones that had a firepower of 2 were Waffen SS, Fallschirmjager, and Pioneers.

Just fyi. Take care.
asl3d

Post by asl3d »

Hello,
I enclose the table that I am currently using to compare the German units characteristics of the Heroes and Leaders mod and ASL squads.
I say "characteristics of H&L mod" and not Heroes of Stalingrad because I have modified some values of certain units provided by the original game and, of course, all the new units that do not exist in HoS.
Regards,

Attachments
squad HaL .. Germans.gif
squad HaL .. Germans.gif (142.92 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Semper fidelis
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Thanks very much for sharing this!
asl3d

Post by asl3d »

Gerry, this is the table of equivalences, between H & L mod and ASL, which I used for the Soviet Army.
There are also the paratrooper units of the United States Army (used in the first historical module on Carentan).
In the next historical module (Omaha), a large part of the units of the United States Army will be available, although not all. The units of the PTO (Marines and early North American Army) will remain pending to introduce for the Pacific scenarios, together with the units of the Japanese Army.

Attachments
squad HaL ..viet_USA.gif
squad HaL ..viet_USA.gif (149.17 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Semper fidelis
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Thanks again!
CHINCHIN

Post by CHINCHIN »

Hello,
Other things that hit me from LnL with respect to ASL, is that the support weapons never break down, and the ease of eliminating units shaken in melee combat.

In ASL I remember that the flamethrowers were quickly unusable, it is logical, they run out of fuel, they explode, or they break down. And the broken units always had the option to retire.

Another thing that I do not like about LnL is how bad the AI ​​uses the leaders, they just move them in search of shaken units, and many times they leave them immobile at the mercy of the enemy.

It has occurred to me to simulate these ASL rules the following. Integrate in the units the support arms and the leaders. So that a squad when taking casualties loses the support weapon, also the support weapons can be integrated into a hero, so that when wounded, he loses that weapon, and if he is healed, he recovers it, this would be closer to ASL.

On the other hand, not having leaders all the units would have Self-Rally. And all shaken units would maintain the same movement points as if they were healthy. There will only be medical personnel. In this way the AI ​​would be more effective.

I am evaluating these rules for my new mod, and I would like to know your opinion about:

1) Support weapons integrated in units.
2) Weapons of support integrated in heroes or squad
3) All Self-Rally units.
4) Same movement for shaken and healthy units.

Attachments
LnL.jpg
LnL.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 505 times
My native language is Spanish, and no English language mastery, sorry.
asl3d

Post by asl3d »

Hello,

In LnL the SW never break or run out of ammunition or gas, and this also happens with vehicles and Teams. Obviously, LnL is a simplified version of ASL, and I do not like it either.

In ASL, the broken units had the "obligation" to retreat to a terrain of concealment (woods, buildings). There were many cases in which the broken unit was automatically eliminated if it could not be removed. If we think in terms of real combat, this is not too logical either. I think the SL/ASL designers were thinking of "cleaning" the terrain to facilitate the advance of the units they were attacking. In ASL, broken units are also eliminated in a Close Combat.

In LnL, the rules for the removal of broken units are simplified and left where they were. Well, it does not make much sense from the point of view of real combat, but it does not make the situation worse with regard to ASL.

AI: absolutely agree. It is not too "intelligent." I have to balance all scenarios of Heroes and Leader mod so that in each scenario the AI has real options to win.

Leaders: I have my doubts about what you say. The existence of Leaders is one of the characteristics that distinguishes ASL from other wargames. His qualities are well highlighted and forces players to count on them if he wants to win the scenario. Rally to broken units, direct the shots of the squads/HS stacked with them, and increase their ability to move. In terms of real combat, Leaders make the difference between defeat and victory. The history of the Second World War is full of examples.

Another issue is how the AI uses the Leaders. There are times when I would not do what the AI does with the Leaders, but it does not make catastrophic mistakes either. I also use frequently my Leaders to rally my broken units. There are many opinions on this, and all are reasonable. It's a matter of game style. For example, when I play at attack to get control of victory hexes, frequently I do not even waste time rally my broken units. On many occasions I keep my Leaders with the vanguard of my attack. The limitation of turns forces you to make painful decisions.

However, the ideas have to be tested and verified if they work correctly or if they do what you want them to do .....
Semper fidelis
CHINCHIN

Post by CHINCHIN »

The leaders will continue to exist but with fire factors, so they will fight in melee combat. The leaders remained important.

Yes, I do the same, the leaders are often more important because of the extra movement they give, to be able to take victory hexes in time, than recovering units.
asl3d

Post by asl3d »

ORIGINAL: CHINCHIN at 2/24/2020 8:17:56 PM:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
files over 200KB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi asl3d,

How can I upload files over 200KB to the forum?

Do you give me permission to use some of your units in my new mod?

Hi Chinchin,

I answer you through the forum to ask friends of the forum for help too.

1) Files of more than 200 Kb: I also don't know the way, if it exists, to upload larger files (>200Kb)
I take this message to ask for help from a friend who knows how to get it. Maybe Maitrebongo knows the secret ....

2) Naturally you have permission to use all the material that I have published in this forum.

I take this opportunity to wish you a lot of encouragement in your new mod.

Semper fidelis
CHINCHIN

Post by CHINCHIN »

Thanks Asl3d,

As you upload files much higher than the limit, which at least marks me, I thought you knew how to do it.
CHINCHIN

Post by CHINCHIN »

I see that other members of the forum also upload files that exceed the limit of 200KB. Can it be a privilege that depends on the rank?

With 125 posts, I'm a trooper, when I ascend to Veteran, maybe I can.
asl3d

Post by asl3d »

ORIGINAL: CHINCHIN

I see that other members of the forum also upload files that exceed the limit of 200KB. Can it be a privilege that depends on the rank?

With 125 posts, I'm a trooper, when I ascend to Veteran, maybe I can.

Hi CHINCHIN,

I also have the 200Kb limit, and I have a higher range. I don't think that's the explanation.

Remembering:

I find the limit of 200 Kb when I publish an image in a thread at the top of the pyramid of a forum, as is this Heroes of Stalingrad.

If I go into "After Action Reports", the limit I think is 750 Kb.

If I enter into "Mods and Scenarios", then the limit goes up to 2000 Kb.

That's, as you go down the tree of the thread, the limit increases.

That is all.....
Semper fidelis
CHINCHIN

Post by CHINCHIN »

Thank you very much Asl3d!!

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”