Miller (J) vs Mr Kane (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Miller

RE: Miller (J) vs Mr Kane (A)

Post by Miller »

16th-31st Oct 45

After three and a half years of ownership Changsha falls with heavy losses on the 26th:

Ground combat at Changsha (82,52)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 217960 troops, 1491 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6338

Defending force 87321 troops, 728 guns, 479 vehicles, Assault Value = 1609

Allied adjusted assault: 1861

Japanese adjusted defense: 345

Allied assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied forces CAPTURE Changsha !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
17773 casualties reported
Squads: 1481 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 886 destroyed, 106 disabled
Engineers: 319 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 282 (281 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 419 (419 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 17

Allied ground losses:
5649 casualties reported
Squads: 40 destroyed, 812 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 49 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 20 disabled
Guns lost 21 (1 destroyed, 20 disabled)

The surviviors are en route to Wuchang for the last stand. If I can get the majority of them there along with a few other units portecting the flanks that are being recalled I could end up with almost 10k AV behind 6 forts. I have managed to smuggle another FT TF up river to drop off enough supply there to at least get the troops in half decent shape when his final assualt begins. Meanwhile another attack at Shanghai knocks the fort down to 5, and with his bombardments by sea continuing every night I have almost no hope of getting any supply in. It should fall before the end of November.

Over in Manchuria he kicks me out of Harbin, Changchun and Mutankiang with heavy losses and the survivors are retreating to my next line of defence at Yenki and Tunghua. He continues to pour troops into Keijo in Korea but still no attacks so far. Over on Formosa despite having landed several weeks ago his troops continue to sit at Hengchun on the southern tip, reason unknown. Perhaps he needs to ship some more supply in before moving forward? I did attempt an attack on a few TFs there with dive bombers flying from Ishikagi but they are swotted away and I lose 100 in return for sinking a subchaser.

Fairly quiet in the air everywhere apart his bombing of my troops in China and Manchuria. He actually comes off slightly worse in one day of sweeps over the home island when including ops losses, despite using the P-51H which has a near 100 mph speed advantage over my fastest fighters. In an effort to try and conserve some supply I have culled a lot of training units as I have more than enough pilots for attack a/c to last the rest of the game, although I continue to train fighter pilots at a rate that just about keeps up with losses....
Miller

Post by Miller »

1st-15th Nov 45

The Good: Airstrikes from my CVs attack his ships bombarding Shanghai and I get one bomb hit on a BB whilst only losing 200 planes (no AM strikes and only 30% of my strike planes attacked in the PM, into the usual thunderstorms).

The Bad: Over on Malaya he does an Allied version of the Mersing Gambit covered by his death star that my recon only picks up at one days notice. Due to my stupidity I only had one small rgt there which falls on his first attack. The only naval assets I had in place are a TF of 12 old DDs and some Pt boats. I send them in anyway and they achieve nothing against overwhelming odds whilst losing half their number. The survivors scuttle off south to Java. I had about 250 naval bombers on station but only 100 or so fighters and against his DS CAP I lose about 75% without a single hit on his ships. Likewise I evacuate the surviving planes to Java before they are pounded by 4E raids on Singapore. As of the 15th I have one Div holding the rail line to the west of Mersing and I'm scrambling to get more troops there to hold. If he takes that hex then all my troops in the north marching south will be cut off from ever reaching Singers for a last stand, but even if they do I'm only delaying the inevitable by a month or two.

The Ugly: I try another FT supply run up river to Wuchang but it is intercepted by numerous DD TFs and I lose all 25 of my best type of PB (the 10 VP types). Meanwhile Kane has ramped up the daylight bombing raids over the HI, aided by the fact he can fly shorter range a/c from captured bases in Manchuria and Korea. Concentrating on resources and certain a/c factories (Frank and Judy mainly), my supply and fuel levels have really started to nose dive. I'm either disbanding or converting a lot of training units into Kamis as I have more than enough bomber pilots in reserve to last the rest of the game, although I continue to train the ever needed fighter pilots.
Miller

Post by Miller »

16th-30th Nov 45

My ground forces are collapsing like a pack of cards everywhere. In Malaya my troops fail to hold the rail line to the west of Mersing, meaning the bulk of my forces in the north cannot reach Singapore now. About 1000 AV is now there and the rest about 3000 AV will have to make their final stand at Kuala Lumpur but with no supply. I doubt I will have anything left on Malaya by the end of the year...

Attachments
20190711..reenshot.jpg
20190711..reenshot.jpg (117.01 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Miller

Post by Miller »

Meanwhile over in China/Manchuria

Shanghai falls after merciless bombardments by air and sea for weeks. My navy makes a futile attempt to disrupt his bombardments but loses 10 DD for a similar number in return. Peiping in the north falls with mass casualties. Wuchang in central China is where 9k AV of troops will make their final stand.

Over in Manchuria the bases circled are now subject to daily air/land bombardments. Tunghua to the west and Yenki to the east. Both should hold until the end of the year but with supply running low I think I'm done once they are captured. Meanwhile in Korea Keijo is attacked and forts reduced to 5 but at high cost to his troops.

Attachments
2019-07-11..reenshot.jpg
2019-07-11..reenshot.jpg (457.12 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Thanks for continuing to play the game and for posting. This is interesting. It's fascinating to compare my game vs. Obvert with yours vs. Mr. Kane. Both late 1945 but much different strategies by all four players (I think).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Miller

1st-15th Nov 45

The Good: Airstrikes from my CVs attack his ships bombarding Shanghai and I get one bomb hit on a BB whilst only losing 200 planes (no AM strikes and only 30% of my strike planes attacked in the PM, into the usual thunderstorms).

The Bad: Over on Malaya he does an Allied version of the Mersing Gambit covered by his death star that my recon only picks up at one days notice. Due to my stupidity I only had one small rgt there which falls on his first attack. The only naval assets I had in place are a TF of 12 old DDs and some Pt boats. I send them in anyway and they achieve nothing against overwhelming odds whilst losing half their number. The survivors scuttle off south to Java. I had about 250 naval bombers on station but only 100 or so fighters and against his DS CAP I lose about 75% without a single hit on his ships. Likewise I evacuate the surviving planes to Java before they are pounded by 4E raids on Singapore. As of the 15th I have one Div holding the rail line to the west of Mersing and I'm scrambling to get more troops there to hold. If he takes that hex then all my troops in the north marching south will be cut off from ever reaching Singers for a last stand, but even if they do I'm only delaying the inevitable by a month or two.

The Ugly: I try another FT supply run up river to Wuchang but it is intercepted by numerous DD TFs and I lose all 25 of my best type of PB (the 10 VP types). Meanwhile Kane has ramped up the daylight bombing raids over the HI, aided by the fact he can fly shorter range a/c from captured bases in Manchuria and Korea. Concentrating on resources and certain a/c factories (Frank and Judy mainly), my supply and fuel levels have really started to nose dive. I'm either disbanding or converting a lot of training units into Kamis as I have more than enough bomber pilots in reserve to last the rest of the game, although I continue to train the ever needed fighter pilots.

Ah, I know that feeling. When 200 planes for a single bomb hit seems like a great trade!

Still, November isn't shabby!
Miller

Post by Miller »

Just bumping this back up to page 1. Unfortunately I've had no contact off Tom for 3 weeks now, hope he is ok as he normally explains any delay of more than a few days between turns.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Just bumping this back up to page 1. Unfortunately I've had no contact off Tom for 3 weeks now, hope he is ok as he normally explains any delay of more than a few days between turns.

Sorry to hear. Fingers crossed.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Ditto. Didn't Mr. Kane indicate some health issues recently?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

His sister and children arrived on vacation about 3 weeks ago. I got an e-mail from him at that time and our game is also on hold.
Miller

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: Mike McCreery

His sister and children arrived on vacation about 3 weeks ago. I got an e-mail from him at that time and our game is also on hold.

Yes I remember him telling me that but I'm sure he said it was only for a week or so. He did mention computer problems as well, whatever hopefully it's nothing sinister, I'd really like to get to the end in this one.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

I have had relatives visiting for a month now and her aunt was suppose to pick her and her two kids up to take them back to Texas yesterday, but she got in a car accident and the car is totaled in a rear end collusion. Fortunately she is ok just shaken and not stirred. However, now they are here for an extended stay until they can figure out how to get home. Worse case scenario is I drive all four home to Texas from Alabama over the weekend. Life has a way of causing delays in the game.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

The important thing is that no one was seriously injured. That said:

Fish and relatives stink after three days!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Miller

Post by Miller »

Well another month goes by with no contact from Tom, so I'm assuming his health issue has flared up again and wish him a speedy recovery.

Return to “After Action Reports”