Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jermore

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by jermore »

I don't know if this has been reported, but there seems to be a nasty issue with !rangecircles. I had just installed the combined bacon mod only to find the game running at 5 frames per second. I narrowed the issue down to weapon range circles. If you have a military vessel selected and are at a distant zoom, the frame rate drops from 60+ to nothing rapidly. My guess is that it's rendering hundreds of weapon circles for things at a zoom level I can't see anyway.
azeios

Post by azeios »

Firstly a huge thanks to Roger for making this fantastic mod!
I was hoping to get some pointers related to the mod from more experienced players (apologies if this question has an obvious answer). What strategies do people use to deal with gravity wells for fleets that include large capital ships? I really like this feature and the way it motivates the player to not just create the biggest designs possible but I feel like there must be a better strategy available to enable me to use larger ships in some cases.

Currently I have quite a few fleets consisting of swarms of lightweight frigates so that they can quickly warp wherever they're needed. I've found it more difficult to incorporate 'heavy fleets' that can move where they're needed without taking forever to do so. I can strap loads of thrusters on them to help them move out of the gravity well relatively quickly but so much of the weight ends up being taken up by engines. I was trying to think of how I could create fleet bases outside of a gravity well where my heavy fleets could be stationed but I'm not sure of a reliable + hassle-free way of keeping these supplied (with vasts amount of fuel and also materials for repairing etc). Even then I still have the issue that if I commit my fleet to an attack it would take an age after the battle to get back to base. Any tips would be really appreciated!
rogerbacon51

Post by rogerbacon51 »

ORIGINAL: jermore

I don't know if this has been reported, but there seems to be a nasty issue with !rangecircles. I had just installed the combined bacon mod only to find the game running at 5 frames per second. I narrowed the issue down to weapon range circles. If you have a military vessel selected and are at a distant zoom, the frame rate drops from 60+ to nothing rapidly. My guess is that it's rendering hundreds of weapon circles for things at a zoom level I can't see anyway.

You are correct (sort of). When I created the range circles I found that when you zoom in past a certain level they would disappear. Upon investigation I found that the game turns off a whole lot of UI stuff when zoomed in and the range circles fell into that category. So, I made it so the game did not turn that stuff off on zoom in. When zoomed out there should be no difference. The game only draws range circles for the selected ship, no others. To toggles range circles on or off type !rangecircles in the Bacon input box.
rogerbacon51

Post by rogerbacon51 »

ORIGINAL: azeios

Firstly a huge thanks to Roger for making this fantastic mod!
I was hoping to get some pointers related to the mod from more experienced ... What strategies do people use to deal with gravity wells for fleets that include large capital ships? I really like this feature and the way it motivates the player to not just create the biggest designs possible but I feel like there must be a better strategy available to enable me to use larger ships in some cases.

Hi. I'm glad you are liking the mod. Yes, its all about forcing the player to make choices. You are smart to keep some small ships that cna react quickly. The heavy fleets will be mostly for major offensive battles and when you commit them they will be there for awhile.
That said, there are things that can be done. Firstly, research bigger hulls. That's probably the most important. Engines are much more important than in the vanilla game. If you don't like how much the gravity well affects the game you can modify its effects for each hyperdrive.
As far aas keeping your fleet refueled remember you can add a state owned gas miner to a fleet using the fleet commands. If you don't give it any weapons it will keep its distance when the fleet goes into battle and then be there to refuel when needed.
azeios

Post by azeios »

Thanks for the tips! I admit I haven't really taken advantage of the state owned mining ships but that's an interesting idea.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: gazdadude

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

ORIGINAL: gazdadude

there where a few

the human revolution mod
the star trek the picard eramod
unleashed extended mods
new dawn
its also happening with baconworld
(sorry for so many)

If it is happening with Baconworld then, assuming it's missing images, it means on of the ship images in your base game has been deleted somehow.Are you getting it with no modsand the original exe? If yes, try reinstalling the game.
The stack trace would help. Post it next time it happens.

Ive reinstalled multiple times get the same message for each mod

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at DistantWorlds.Controls.DesignListView.BindData(Galaxy galaxy, DesignList designs, Bitmap[] builtObjectImages, Boolean allowMultiSelect)
at DistantWorlds.Main.method_307(Design design_3)
at DistantWorlds.Main.tbtnDesigns_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at DistantWorlds.Controls.GlassButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BoxedAppSDK_AppDomainManager
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/BoxedAppSDK_AppDomainManager/1.0.0.0__ef07ce3257ee81c1/BoxedAppSDK_AppDomainManager.dll
DistantWorlds
Assembly Version: 1.9.5.12
Win32 Version: 1.9.5.12
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/DistantWorlds.EXE
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
DistantWorlds.Controls
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/DistantWorlds.Controls.DLL
DistantWorlds.Types
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/DistantWorlds.Types.DLL
BaconDistantWorlds
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/BaconDistantWorlds.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
AxInterop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL
Interop.WMPLib
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/Interop.WMPLib.DLL
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics
Win32 Version: 4.0.30901.0 built by: xnabldr
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll
Microsoft.Xna.Framework
Win32 Version: 4.0.30901.0 built by: xnabldr
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/Microsoft.Xna.Framework/v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553/Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll
System.Deployment
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
DW_Steam
Assembly Version: 1.0.5257.18237
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Distant%20Worlds%20Universe/DW_Steam.DLL
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 14.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll
PresentationCore
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
WindowsBase
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I'm getting the exact same error, clean install, only Bacon Mod + RetreatEU + DasBlue installed.

New game too.

Can anyone upload the 'missing' ship design images that are said to cause this? Much appreciated.
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Erm, it's fixed itself. I just closed and restarted.

Best kind of fix! [&:][:D]
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I've recorded a new series of Distant Worlds using the Bacon mod (I'm DasTactic on Twitch and YouTube) and there were a few things that the Bacon mod may be able to help with (I guess these are issues with the base game).

1. It seems that destroying infrastructure using fighter craft doesn't register as an issue with the AI. I was able to destroy the majority of an enemy fleet along with spaceports etc without repercussions. It was only when I brought in ships with weapons that the AI thought it was unacceptable.

2. Fighter craft don't protect carriers from other fighter craft unless the two factions are at war with each other. Eg, pirates can attack your carrier and it will only protect itself using Point Defense while your fighters hover around doing nothing. Even other ships won't help to kill the bombers until they themselves get attacked. It means you need to create a massive Point Defense ship as the major threat to soak up the fighters before you can send in other ships.

3. Resupply ships become jammed with unusable resources or reserved resources to the point they won't even refuel themselves. The only way around this I found was to build new resupply ships and scrap the old ships. I tried giving them Ctrl E '!cargos, caslon' orders, automating them, giving them freighter missions (Alt 1 2 3). But nothing I did got them to dump their cargo. I thought there was a way to force ships to vent cargo into space.

4. Similar to number 3, I had some resources on planets that had been reserved by enemy empires and when the empire was destroyed the resources still stayed in reserve on the planet with a cross replacing the flag.

Not sure if there is a way around these issues but I thought the bacon mod was the best bet. :)
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

4. always happened, in fact not a real issue: ignore it and don't mind !

the fighters issues, on the other hand, seem very serious: a real "game-breaker"..

never happened to me, maybe why I rarely rely on fighters both in defense and offensive strikes.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: FFCecil

This is a must use mod for one simple reason for me. I always design my own ships and I've been dying to have it do exactly what it does with your mod. Selects the left hand side components when you select one in your ship design!!! Awesome. TY

One thing I would like to see. For your resource filter command, could you maybe add a !fr command that does the exact same thing as !FilterResource or shorten that command. Please save my tired hands.

I like the agent prisoner feature, but it's a bit unbalancing especially when the race that the prisoner's are from don't exist anymore and yet I still get paid. This last game I checked it after I destroyed the Borg and there were two agents in there and each released for over 5m each. I went from negative cash to 10m.

Thanks for the good work. I been playing so much DW Star Trek mod and this mod working well in it.

Curious how you got the Star Trek mod to work with Bacon? I've tried with no success?
rogerbacon51

Post by rogerbacon51 »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Curious how you got the Star Trek mod to work with Bacon? I've tried with no success?

What seems to be the issue?
Try doing it it stages. First replace the exe and run the mod. That gives you 99% of the mod changes right there. Then for the terraforming make the change in the facilities text file. Play the game and use the in-game editor to give a crappy colony terraforming and see that it is working. Then do the same for the other text files to get the changes there.

Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Roger, whilst you're here - I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for this excellent mod. I don't play without it.
Hattori Hanzo

RE: Bacon Mod [a small doubt]

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: rogerbacon51
Try doing it it stages. First replace the exe and run the mod. That gives you 99% of the mod changes right there. Then for the terraforming make the change in the facilities text file. Play the game and use the in-game editor to give a crappy colony terraforming and see that it is working. Then do the same for the other text files to get the changes there.
But.. WHO is this "rogerbacon51".. ????? [&:]

perhaps a distante relative ?

a cousin born in the fifties ?

an astronaut from Planet 51 ?

what happened to the original "RogerBacon" ??? [8|]
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: rogerbacon51

When I adapted RetreatUE across to the Bacon Mod there were a lot more 'gotchas' than I had anticipated. In the end the best tool to help with the process was Sabranan's Modding Tool (tm.asp?m=4030377).
Taraphir

Post by Taraphir »

In the unmodded version of Distant Worlds Universe, images of mining ships and gas-mining ships are different. The same is true for mining stations along with
gas-mining stations. In my installation of Bacon Mod however, the images for these respective pairs are identical, allthough the folder for ship graphics contains diverging pictures for both duos.

Is this intentional, a bug or might it even be connected with the fact, that I run Bacon Mod alongside a small modification made by myself?

Warmest greetings from Germany to the forum members, and those who made this modding friendly splendid strategy gem Distant World Universe!
rmse17

Post by rmse17 »

Is there something that I need to do to play "Extended AI Improvement Mod 1.05" with BaconMod?
ambrye

Post by ambrye »

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Erm, it's fixed itself. I just closed and restarted.

Best kind of fix! [&:][:D]

I got the same error and after restarting the game the ship designer started to work. I also saw that the background picture in the menu changed after the restart, so it could be that something is not load or loaded incorrectly when the mod is loaded the first time.
HellDragonLord

Post by HellDragonLord »

Hello, i've recently installed the bacon mod, and for whatever reason, the game freezes and has significant audio issues (that are similar to when the playstation crashes) whilst frozen. The larger the map the quicker these issues pop up with standard being 30-ish minuets, Huge is within 2 to 3 minuets.

Can you help me in regards to this, as i've run out of ideas as to what caused this.

When i put the .exe and .txt files into the directory do i replace the ones there when the prompt comes up or do i do something different in order to prevent the issues?
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

Is it possible to add a option to turn of the "pause when opening window" function? I'd prefer to have the game continue running unless I hit space/pause button, as I like playing on normal speed while tinkering in windows/design.
rmse17

Post by rmse17 »

Well, I gave up on the AI Extended 1.03 with Bacon Mod..

So I deleted the DU folder, reinstalled from Steam, and just added Bacon Mod. There is an odd behavior bug from exploration ships, when they are on auto, they seem to work ok, but sometimes all 5 would go to same system, which is annoying given the gravity wells... but when I tell them to explore a specific sector, after a few seconds they redirect them selves to the very top left corner of the screen. This is pretty consistent, and just Baconmod + Vanilla...

Return to “Design and Modding”