West German's Milan ATGM

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

KungPao

West German's Milan ATGM

Post by KungPao »

Hi I noticed that West German's Milan Inf plt do not have Thermal Image ability.
So Bundeswehr didn't order enough thermal sight in the 80's?

the jeep with Milan 2 do have TI
Name Sensor List
Jeep Milan II TI
Milan II IR-S
PzGren ATGM IR-S

on the other hand, all the Milan II in British force do have TI ability
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
CapnDarwin

RE: West German's Milan ATGM

Post by CapnDarwin »

Taking a quick look, it looks like the use of thermals on the infantry side for the Milan did not happen until the mid-90s. Let me know if you can find any sources stating otherwise.

Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
KungPao

Post by KungPao »

Thanks, I have no problem on that, just try to have a better understanding on Bundeswehr.
So technically WP smoke can be useful when facing West German infantry? It will block the LOS of M113G PzGren plt + ATGM. How about Marder IFV plt? Assuming it is Marder 1 without ATGM version, so Marder 1 can still shoot through smoke but PzGren ATGM will not be able to do so?

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

That is correct. No thermals, no seeing through smoke.

kokovi79

Post by kokovi79 »

My boss at work was actually a reserve officer cadet in a Panzergrenadier unit in the early eighties and he remembers that they already had at least some WBG MIRA (Milan Infrarot Adapter). So mid-90s seems to be too late although this needs to be verified.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Kokovi79, let me know if you do get some solid information to verify the time table of thermals and what systems they are on.

IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Of interest are the start date of fielding and the completion date of fielding. No upgrade is ever done in a single month or even year. So, even with a mid-80s start date for fielding, a unit is not "wrong" to have the older equipment until you set the scenario to occur after the completion date.

For example, I was assigned to a mech infantry unit in Germany that transitioned from the M113A1 to the M2A2 in the Spring of 1991. Fielding of the M2 basic began in 1981. Two other battalions in my division transitioned after us. It took so long to modernise, that the third variant was in production. You'd think a US mech unit in Germany in 1990 or 1991 would have Bradleys, but not all units did.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”