RWR in FCRS

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

KungPao

RWR in FCRS

Post by KungPao »

I do feel the game simulate RWR (Radar Warning Receiver) incorrectly. The game confused RWR with ELINT

I think in the 60's and 70's most of the RWR device only generate a warning when FCR (fire control radar) locks you. In the 80's new generation RWR gives the A/C (Aircraft) the ability to detect Air searching radar, but it only tells a direction of the source at certain amount of deviation. To pin down accurate location of a radar source, you need dedicate ELINT aircraft. It may need at least 3 ELINT A/C running a triangulation. You need resource and time to pin down the position.

With help of computer, modern day RWR can quickly recognize a particular radar emitter from hundreds of different signal. Tracking it. With relatively position change it can do the calculation and find out the location.

I don't think it is possible, a Mi-24 with some basic avionics device can pin down a mobile SAM Radar 10km away instantly.
It is a Mi-24, not a EP-3P or a F-35.

After this screenshot I called two arty mission on that radar source. My opponents lost two Rapier SAM. I am going to dominate the sky. But I do feel the RWR is not correctly modeled.

Attachments
RWR.jpg
RWR.jpg (317.78 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
IronMikeGolf

RE: RWR in FCRS

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Hi. This honestly could be documented better.

RWRs in Red Storm are defensive systems, not target acquisition systems. So, the RWR figures in to probability of being hit and surprise.

The ELINT cuts on radars, and HQ radios for that matter, are game abstractions. The radars are always "on" and there's an occasional chance you get a cut on the emitter. For HQ, it is dependent on the number of orders issued by the HQ. Nothing on map does this detection, classification, and localization. It's all highly abstracted and simplified.

So, in your example above, it's not the MI-24s that glean the firing data. It is the (abstracted) elements of the Division EW company. You could have just leg infantry on the map and get cuts.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
KungPao

Post by KungPao »

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the explanation but I don't get it. First I don't have any question or issue with HQ radio emitter contact. Second I have strong impression that a continuous radar emitter contact is related to helicopter.
Based on you explanation the EW company on the ground can catch radar signal occasionally. But I don't see that happens in the scenario with ground force only. In other scenario with air force, the inbound A/C will capture the emitter and paint it's accurate location on the map. But as soon as they left the map, the contact will be lost.
With Helicopter, you can get a continuous radar emitter contact as soon as it is in certain range. It will not disappear unless there is a hill block it. My observation is AH can pick up the radar contact at 10km, a recon Helo can do it at 15km.

Thx

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I need to check the code to be sure, but I think there has to be a unit with a RWR on it to trip the radar cut detection chance. A side effect of removing the spamming "radar detected" message from an earlier update. The good news is we are reworking the whole EW/elint model. The equipment is also getting updated I to a number of versions to cover the ability of RWRs to detect, classify and locate as systems get better over time.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”