Baltic Cruise - June 2019

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

Baltic Cruise - June 2019

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

My wife and I will be traveling to Europe in June. We already have a few planned meetings with World in Flames players. If you are interested in meeting up at any of the cities listed below - on the days listed - send me an email at the email address at the bottom of this post. [The plays in London are just that: theater plays. My wife isn't interested in playing World in Flames.[:D]]

===
Baltic Cruise 2019
(as of May 21, 2019)

London
Sat June 8 Arrive Noon; Evening play
Sun June 9 Morn - Buckingham Palace; Afternoon play
Mon June 10 Day - Greenwich; Evening play
Tues June 11 Morn - Open; Leave 3:00 PM

Amsterdam
Wed June 12 Arrive 5:00 PM; 7:15 PM WIF get-together
Thur June 13 Morn - Van Gogh; Afternoon Rijksmuseum; Leave 4:00 PM

Copenhagen
Sat June 15 Arrive 8:00 AM; WIF get-together; Leave 9:00 PM

Helsinki
Mon June 17 Arrive 9:00; Open; Leave 4:00 PM

St. Petersburg
Tues - Thur June 18 - 20 All day tours.

Tallinn
Fri June 21 Arrive 8:00 AM; Open; Leave 2:00 PM

Stockholm
Sat June 22 Arrive 6:30 AM; WIF Get-together
Sun June 23 Open
Mon June 24 Leave early morning

Paris
Mon June 24 Arrive 3:00 PM; Afternoon art museum
Tues June 25 Versailles
Wed June 26 Art museums; Leave evening

SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Centuur

RE: Baltic Cruise - June 2019

Post by Centuur »

The meeting in Amsterdam will be on the 12th. june around 7.15 PM at the Delirium Café, Piet Heinkade 4-6-8, 1019 BR Amsterdam.

This is a 10 minutes walk from the Central Station towards the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (walk towards the big cruise ship). The café is located opposite the Bimhuis. A for Amsterdam cheap car park is available at the Buiksloterweg (ferry to the station, 2 hours maximum at € 3,-- per hour) in Amsterdam Noord. If it's full there, one can park at the parking garage Overhoeksplein 5 in Noord (no time limit, also € 3,-- per hour).

I'll be there. And Steve, of course...

Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Centuur

The meeting in Amsterdam will be on the 12th. june around 7.15 PM at the Delirium Café, Piet Heinkade 4-6-8, 1019 BR Amsterdam.

This is a 10 minutes walk from the Central Station towards the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam (walk towards the big cruise ship). The café is located opposite the Bimhuis. A for Amsterdam cheap car park is available at the Buiksloterweg (ferry to the station, 2 hours maximum at € 3,-- per hour) in Amsterdam Noord. If it's full there, one can park at the parking garage Overhoeksplein 5 in Noord (no time limit, also € 3,-- per hour).

I'll be there. And Steve, of course...
If that time doesn't work for someone, I will also have some time available in Amsterdam around noon on the 13th of June.
Steve

juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I would like to meet you in Stockholm. I see there is a WIF get-together planned for Saturday. Are there already plans arranged regarding where to meet and timing?
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

I would like to meet you in Stockholm. I see there is a WIF get-together planned for Saturday. Are there already plans arranged regarding where to meet and timing?
Nothing planned as yet. Sunday is also wide open for me.

A few others have expressed interest with getting together in Stockholm.

That will summer solstice and a lot of places in Stockholm are going to be closed. My wife and I are trying to find out what exactly is open for us to visit. The ship docks at 6:30 AM and then we need to wander over to our hotel to drop off out luggage: Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, Tegelbacken 6. We don't leave until Monday morning, so it looks like we'll have 48 hours of daylight in Stockholm to work with.

We'll be glad to see you then.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

We now have a tentative place and time for Stockholm.

Peter S. has suggested the Scandic Continental in Stockholm on Saturday, from 15:00 to 17:00.

That works well for Shereen and I since our hotel is only a couple of blocks away.

If anyone/you can join us there, please post a reply in this thread. Once I get a list of people who expect to make it, we'll exchange phones numbers etc.
Steve

juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Any place works for me, and if it's convenient for you, the better.

Alternatively, I can recommend "The Churchill Arms" as it has a very nice atmosphere (and good beer):

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-chu ... titPc13wpw

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

I will be in Copenhagen, around 12 a.clock … no clue where we should meet.
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
CanInf

Post by CanInf »

I will be in Ireland the whole. I will send soggy wishes! enjoy!
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

Okay. Shereen and I will be going out to Roskilde first thing in the morning. It is about a half hour trip and we should get there for when the Viking Ship museum opens at 10:00.

If we leave Roskilde at ~11:20, we should be back in Copenhagen before noon.

Shereen and I will be eating extremely well on the ship for most of our meals, so a simple light lunch would be fine by us. Sandwiches and salads, for instance.

You are closer to Copenhagen than we are.[:D] Choose some place that you would like. Not too loud, so we can talk without shouting. Near Copenhagen Central Station would be good too - that is where we will arrive coming back from Roskilde.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

Alternatively, I can recommend "The Churchill Arms" as it has a very nice atmosphere (and good beer):

Okay, then let's go with Peter's recommendation of Scandic Continental.
Steve

michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

Okay. Shereen and I will be going out to Roskilde first thing in the morning. It is about a half hour trip and we should get there for when the Viking Ship museum opens at 10:00.

If we leave Roskilde at ~11:20, we should be back in Copenhagen before noon.

Shereen and I will be eating extremely well on the ship for most of our meals, so a simple light lunch would be fine by us. Sandwiches and salads, for instance.

You are closer to Copenhagen than we are.[:D] Choose some place that you would like. Not too loud, so we can talk without shouting. Near Copenhagen Central Station would be good too - that is where we will arrive coming back from Roskilde.

also were I will arive. we might even be on the same train.
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

Scandic Continental.

Yes, The plan is to meet at Scandic Continental, the roof top bar(Capital) with a spectacular view over Riddarfjarden both from the bar and terrace.
https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/sw ... nt-bar/bar
Saturday, from 15:00 to 17:00. Vasagatan 22.
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Orm

Post by Orm »

Nothing planned as yet. Sunday is also wide open for me.

A few others have expressed interest with getting together in Stockholm.

That will summer solstice and a lot of places in Stockholm are going to be closed. My wife and I are trying to find out what exactly is open for us to visit. The ship docks at 6:30 AM and then we need to wander over to our hotel to drop off out luggage: Sheraton Stockholm Hotel, Tegelbacken 6. We don't leave until Monday morning, so it looks like we'll have 48 hours of daylight in Stockholm to work with.

We'll be glad to see you then.

The Vasa museum will be open and might be worth a visit.
https://www.vasamuseet.se/en
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Okay, then let's go with Peter's recommendation of Scandic Continental.
I will be there. [:)]

I am sorry for my late reply. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it until now. I often leave for the country side during the Midsummer celebration. This year I will be leaving after. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Hi,

I was planning with my wife for midsummer and I realized that it's the same day that Steve comes to Stockholm and planned the get-together. I was thinking that it will be a pity for him to be with us in a bar instead of enjoying midsummer celebrations around the city. It's one of the most important celebration of the year in Sweden

https://visitsweden.com/midsummer/

I am not Swedish, so perhaps a local member of the forum can explain a bit more what happens this day and what can be done.

I'm open to meet on Sunday instead if that works better for Steve.

Cheers,

Orm

Post by Orm »

Well, is Sweden we usually celebrate things on the eve so most of the Midsummer celebration is done on Friday.

Although Skansen is supposed to have Midsummer activities the entire weekend.

http://www.skansen.se/en/
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: peskpesk
Scandic Continental.

Yes, The plan is to meet at Scandic Continental, the roof top bar(Capital) with a spectacular view over Riddarfjarden both from the bar and terrace.
https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/sw ... nt-bar/bar
Saturday, from 15:00 to 17:00. Vasagatan 22.

I may be a bit later than 15:00, but see you there.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Next time you an join the EuroWif Con, usually in Octobre.

p.s.: we play real World in Flames though..
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov

Return to “World in Flames”