Can I make all Cruise Missiles just attack in straight line?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

fatgreta1066

Can I make all Cruise Missiles just attack in straight line?

Post by fatgreta1066 »

Many cruise missiles, when launched, seem to auto program different courses to strike the target. I understand this is a way to make the harder to defend against. There are situations, however, when I'd much rather they all simply fly in a straight line and get to the target as fast as possible. Is there any way to do that? I believe some missiles can be manually programmed with individual waypoints, but I'd rather be able to set the launch that way than manually adjust every missile after launch. And there are of course missiles that do not allow for that type of course correction in flight.

Thanks,

Chris
Cik

RE: Can I make all Cruise Missiles just attack in straight line?

Post by Cik »

you can plot with shift+f1 (plot course) however there is not an extremely ergonomic way of doing it for large launches. you will have to plot every single target separately which can take a lot of time.
fatgreta1066

Post by fatgreta1066 »

I'm sorry do you mean use shift+F1 to select the targets or use shift+F1 for each missile once it's in flight?

Thanks
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Shift+F1 to select the target then in the box that comes up, assign your missiles to the target and in the lower right corner, you can plot a course for the missiles. You can plot all missiles going to one target as a bunch but as Cik mentions, you need to do this for each individual target.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

I have to admit, it would be nice if the default behaviour was for a straight-line course (at least for a human player), instead of the random dogleg for each missile, which usually results in a spread salvo which is easier for the enemy to defeat.

Unless I'm trying to terrain mask with TLAMs, I typically end up manually setting straight-line courses with each shot.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

What'd be nice is if instead of a random dog leg, the dog leg added just enough flight time so that the first missile in a salvo of 12 fired one second apart arrived at the same time as the last one. The geometry is pretty simple. Just draw a circle around the target and do some trigonometry. It's nothing any calculus student can't solve.
Unless I'm trying to terrain mask with TLAMs, I typically end up manually setting straight-line courses with each shot.
morphin

Post by morphin »

Yes please. That would be great. Please add it to the wishlist
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Overheard in good company: "I remember when people were complaining about the AI defaulting to firing in straight lines. Nice to see things come full circle."

[:D]
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

What'd be nice is if instead of a random dog leg, the dog leg added just enough flight time so that the first missile in a salvo of 12 fired one second apart arrived at the same time as the last one. The geometry is pretty simple. Just draw a circle around the target and do some trigonometry. It's nothing any calculus student can't solve.

Good suggestion! We'll take a shot at this in the future.

Zanthra

Post by Zanthra »

The default behavior for launching cruise missiles feels like it would make a lot of sense as a doctrine option.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

Woohoo! One more page in my spreadsheet I don't have to use anymore!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”