Is it possible to see how much a unit will receive in supply the next turn?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Hoggorm

Is it possible to see how much a unit will receive in supply the next turn?

Post by Hoggorm »

I find it hard to plan ahead for the next week since I do not know what units will be available and who will be unavailable due to low supply.

As the topic say: Is it possible to see how much a unit will receive in supply the next turn?
morvael

RE: Is it possible to see how much a unit will receive in supply the next turn?

Post by morvael »

No, it's something you must learn to anticipate, by not placing them when they will recieve very little or nothing at all. I think that's part of the learning curve in this game. To master the supply system without being given everything on a plate should be fun for any armchair general [:)]
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I think that's part of the learning curve in this game.

Then that is all fine by me :) Thank you for the answer!
Hardradi

Post by Hardradi »

Put yourself if Rail Movement mode with no units selected. As far as I understand there are three different shades representing supply, clear is good, greyer colouring is not as good and the darker colour means supply is not good at all. Airdrop supplies into the darkest areas. I find this map mode helps a lot.

Also, as far as I understand, in the first couple of turns the Axis have oversupply/supply buildup. It is difficult to get to these equivalent movement levels after the first two or so turns. HQ buildup will help with this.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

ORIGINAL: Hardradi

Put yourself if Rail Movement mode with no units selected.
That sounds like a good suggestion
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Hardradi
Also, as far as I understand, in the first couple of turns the Axis have oversupply/supply buildup. ... HQ buildup will help with this.

An extension to this is when units already have a good stockpile of supplies, how much more they can get in supplies that turn matters much less.

20 Panzer Division in the picture has just finished moving sometime after turn 60 - yet it still is carrying 76% of the fuel it needs. It is worth checking if units, or the HQs that supply them, already have stockpiles of what they need and so supplying more this turn will not be so critical.

Attachments
tyfgkl.jpg
tyfgkl.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

Yes, that makes sense. In my case however I drove my panzer divisions too far ahead in the first few weeks of the war and after three turns it still is low of supplies even though it has not moved at all. Well, well.. My bad...
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

Maybe your FBD railroad repairs are not correctly done? They must follow the spearheads as much as possible. And you got to make sure your corps HQs are never more than 25 hexes and 100 MPs from the railheads
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
fritzfarlig

Post by fritzfarlig »

when you hit the railnet buttom will your map showing light area grey area and dark area that tell you the supply situation dark area are very bad supplied
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

In theory you can calculate the amount of supply the unit will get. The supply system is deterministic and almost all formulas are known. For practical purposes, you will have to develop an intuition.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

For practical purposes, you will have to develop an intuition.

Yes, I understand. I guess it takes some time to learn.
Colbert

Post by Colbert »

There are some good rules of thumb though. If the HQ is on rail lines you will get 40-50MPs for motorised, if in the light shaded zone you should get 20-30 MPs and so on.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”