New TOAW IV database

Graphics, sound, and database mods.

Scenarios should still be posted in the main 'Mods and Scenarios' forum below
r6kunz

RE: New TOAW IV database

Post by r6kunz »

Fantastic!
I (we) have been hoping someone would step up and do this.
Much appreciated.

RAK
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thanks a heap. I'm going to install it in my mod ( B41_lgf ) and go to town with it.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

Can I get some help please with how/where to install these files? I can't open them.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: macgregor
Can I get some help please with how/where to install these files? I can't open them.
The EQP and NQP files are XML files that the game reads to characterize the equipment for the game and the NQP is for the ships. For each scenario that uses the new database you will need a folder inside the graphics override folder that has the same name as the scenario and inside the scenario named folder you would park the EQP and NQP files but rename them to the name of the scenario. The PNG file goes inside the folder too but it's already got the right name.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

Oh I see now. Thanks Larry! I'll wait until there is a scenario that uses the new database then.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I am using parts of it in mine.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
josant

Post by josant »

ORIGINAL: macgregor

You can also copy these 3 files into the "my documents"-"The Operational Art of War IV"-"Graphics Override" folder, so every time you load the game, this database will be loaded by default, and then, if you go to the editor to edit or create a scenario, it appears.
The only issue is that when you load a scenario you will get a message saying that you are playing with the wrong eqp file, but, as the structure of this database is compatible with the scenarios that comes with the game, to solve this, simply open the scenario with the editor and save it again.
JA
DZKriz

Post by DZKriz »

For this new version of toaw 4, I have adapted my toaw 3 previous modified database, expanded with more than 2000 new equipments that before I could not put due to the limit of equipment that toaw 3 had.
This mod not only include modern and latest weapons systems, also include oldest systems that not include the original database.
Also taking advantage that the new toaw 4 finally has a new improved system for naval combat, I have included more than 600 classes of ships (ironclads, cruisers, battleships, frigates ...)

I was able to convert Josant's TOAW 4 Database into a nice Excel Spreadsheet for Comparisons. The Spreadsheet is attached here.

With the Equipment Database in spreadsheet form, it would be very helpful to me (and I presume to others) if someone could explain here how the various AP, AT, AA, DF factors are calculated. Thanks.

DZK
Attachments
TOAW_IV_Da..adSheet.zip
(443.67 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

DZK is this for the 5.2 db?
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
DZKriz

Post by DZKriz »

DZK is this for the 5.2 db?

Yes, it was the 5.2 Database at the beginning of this string.

I could do this for a more current Database as well. Doesn't take a super long time to do so. It takes about an hour maybe if you haven't done this before, an afternoon, to do the work.

(1) You open the XML file in MS Word
(2) Make a fair number of targeted "Replace All" commands (choose wisely... and if you don't you can choose the "undo" option after each step that you don't like to get back to where you started)
(3) Make sure that you end by separating your fields by tabs (in MS Word ^t) and your equipment entries by HRTs (in MS Word ^p)
(4) Save and then call up in Microsoft Excel.
(5) Fix what still needs to be fixed then.

If I were smarter, I could write a macro that would do the MS Word processing with a single command, but I don't do this enough to remember easily how. But since thankfully the DB is available in at least XML form, it's not altogether hard to organize this into a spreadsheet. If one's never done this before, you might spend 1-2 maybe 3 hours (and afternoon or evening) doing this. But you'll never completely forget how to do it, and each time you do this, it'll be easier.

DZK

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey you guys....somebody needs to create the C-121 into the fixed wing inventory. That way we can fly early warning patrols.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (391.75 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Has there been any more work or updates to this (beyond 5.2)?

One request I have to make it easier to search on is to upper case the New Equipment tags.

For example: <NAME>NEW EQUIPMENT - FIXED WING AIRCRAFT</NAME>

It might make it easier to scroll through the list.
josant

Post by josant »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Has there been any more work or updates to this (beyond 5.2)?

No, there is no more updates
JA
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Thank you. Is there any plans to update the dB?
josant

Post by josant »

No, at the moment there are no plans for any update, but, as TOAW is in constant evolution, perhaps in the future it will have to be adapted to the new improvements
JA
StefanKreis

Post by StefanKreis »

Hello
I started converting TOAW3 to TOAW 4 scenarios with the editor. Everything was fine, but I can't cope with the equipment of the units. For example, in the Battle of Balaclava 1854 I have tanks instead of horses, how can I change it and to which folder should I copy all the files,
greetings
Robert_m_line@mac.co

Post by Robert_m_line@mac.co »

I was not able to get the down load to work. Is it still available online or from a different source?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I just now ( 5/11/2021 ) uploaded it to a file server and here's the link to version 5.2 of the new TOAW equipment database:
http://www.filedropper.com/toawv52database
josant

Post by josant »

Hello,

I updated the database to version 6.0

Although the 5.2 version was compatible with the scenarios that came with the game (you only get a wrong equipment error message) I did not like the structure of the database, I prefer to see all the equipments together (each one in their categorie), that is, all the tanks together, the artillery, planes, ships, etc.

So, I reworked the structure of the database to leave it as the old versions prior to 5.0 with all the new equipments merged with the standard database who comes with the game, this makes that this version is incompatible with the scenarios that comes with the game, due to the position of the equipments.

For this new version I have not only reworked the structure, I have also changed some things, the values of many new equipments are more accurate, added new equipments, new icons, and in the "new equipment" category I add 2 experimental categories; missile ICBM submarines (toaw currently cannot handle submarines, I have put them only as naval missiles) and combat drones (again, toaw currently cannot handle them, I have put them as planes with high AT power due to their missiles)

I put the link to download this new 6.0 database in the first post of this thread, also I maintain to download the old database for those who prefer it for its structure

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (515.82 KiB) Viewed 812 times
JA
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thank you very much for your dedication to this project and all your hard work. I for one will incorporate it into my scenario mods.

Attachments
295929672m..ry-plane.gif
295929672m..ry-plane.gif (1.71 MiB) Viewed 813 times

Return to “Mods”