Allied Ship Insignia / Patch Additions

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Korvar

Allied Ship Insignia / Patch Additions

Post by Korvar »

For those who aren't aware, Halsey has an excellent website for WitP:AE art downloads.

Among those downloads is a fantastic collection of insignia art for both the Allies and Japan. I have been slowly adding to the Allied ship insignia to enhance the collection for my own use, and since Halsey has graciously given permission to use his collection (itself a product of various authors), I'm now making those additional insignia available to the community.

All CVEs have new semi-generic insignia similar to the destroyers which gives the name of each ship, its hull number, and a silhouette of its class. The standardized format also represents their reputation as being "Combustable, Vulnerable, Expendable" and the fact they were produced in great quantity and pressed into service quickly (not much time to get creative with ship patches):

Unique ships such as the floating repair docks now have their own unique class insignia (another that comes to mind are the AGC amphib command vessels - download the art to see those!):

AKEs / AEs:

Allied nations other than the US sport their flags (like in Halsey's collection), but I cleaned up the flags, made the background blend into the menu better, and just overall made them more uniform. For British/OZ/NZ ships, the military vessels will sport the "white" versions of the respective country flag, with the merchant vessels sporting the "color" versions. The Dutch flag as an example:

All US Navy heavy and light cruisers which didn't have insignia now have them; historical insignia were used where possible, and in other cases like the USS Oakland, I created a plausible insignia using the City of Oakland's insignia with a generic US Navy border and the ship's name:

Light carriers now all have insignia, many of them historic:

AOs have their historic patches where possible, and a generic "oil black" insignia to distinguish the type:

Amphibious ships now have the US Navy amphib patch (including LSTs, LCIs, APDs, etc.):

Tankers have a white merchant marine patch to distinguish them from the blue merchant marine patch used by xAK / xAP types:

Historically well-known vessels usually now have their historic patches, like the AR Vestal which was parked next to the Arizona during the Pearl Harbor attack - also, many more auxiliary ship patches have been added in general:

Another well-known ship, the USS Juneau now has her proper insignia:

There are too many to show them all, but this preview should give you a good idea of what to expect!

Now to business - the download is available in two formats - "combined" and "Korvar's additions (only)":

Here is the download link for the combined Halsey collection plus my additions:
Combined Allied Ship Insignia Art (38MB)

If you're already using Halsey's allied ship insignia art, this download contains only my modifications/additions and effectively acts as a "patch":
Korvar's Allied Ship Insignia Art Additions (10MB)

Either of these need to be extracted to the "AlliedPatch" subdirectory within the ART subdirectory of your WitP:AE install directory. If the AlliedPatch folder is not there, then create it. If you're prompted to overwrite files, click 'yes'.

Some final notes: these are geared toward the stock scenarios and I used Scenario #9 during 1943 as the basis for my edits, so there may be discrepancies between even the various stock scenarios out there. Also, some insignia may not be correct depending upon what ship conversions you decide to do. The good news is that it's relatively easy to look up a ship's database number in Tracker, then replace the appropriate patch as needed. They are all named "SHP_xxxx" where "xxxx" represents the four or five digit database number for a particular ship.

Scenario authors - feel free to use or adapt any of my insignia art work into your scenarios.

Edit: all the above said, my insignia additions are a work in progress. Please report any errors or omissions you run across.
AleRonin

RE: Allied Ship Insignia / Patch Additions

Post by AleRonin »

Many thanks Korvar [&o]

Downloading...
traskott

Post by traskott »

Thanks!!

Downloading too
Dali

Post by Dali »

nice!!
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Been using Halsey's insignia for years. Very nice to see fresh updates.

Many thanks!

[&o]
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Been using Halsey's insignia for years. Very nice to see fresh updates.

Many thanks!

[&o]

I endorse all of these art mods to increase player immersion.
Thanks to everyone who uses them.

Those who haven't used these after all this time have really been missing out.
It's probably the most comprehensive collection available of unit insignia for the WWII Pacific War.

Plus they really dress the game up.

Cheers!

Korvar

Post by Korvar »

One thing I would encourage players to try at least once is to make a custom insignia/patch for one of the nameable ships (distinguished by their clickable yellow names in the ship availability menu). For those who don't know, the reason they can be named is that those particular hulls were named (and in a fair amount of cases renamed) to honor ships which had been sunk earlier in the war or notable battles of the war. There's not too many of them, and not all of them need to be renamed. It's an easy way to 'dip your toe' into art modding, and it adds a nice extra touch of immersion above and beyond what this insignia collection already provides.

As an example, below are four custom insignia for Essex class aircraft carriers in my current campaign, from left to right: CV-18 Valley Forge, CV-10 Enterprise-A, CV-12 Java Sea, and CV-16 Concord. Valley Forge and Concord keep the historical tradition of naming carriers after notable Revolutionary War battles (Valley Forge is more of a notable event... but I took the liberty). George Washington and a Revolutionary War Minuteman are featured, respectively. The Java Sea is a modification of the historical Essex carrier Philippine Sea, and it is also the location of the decisive carrier battle in my game. It features the island of Java to emphasize the sacrifice made in defense of the island. In that battle, a good chunk of the Kido Butai was sent to the bottle in exchange for the loss of the Yorktown class CV-6 Enterprise. Hence why there is now an Essex class Enterprise-A, with the '-A' part a nod to Star Trek and in lieu of the Roman numeral system suggested in the game to distinguish the new ship from the old.

Image Image Image Image

If you're concerned that you're not a great 'digital artist', just do what I did with the Enterprise-A insignia and take an existing patch and make a small, meaningful alteration to it.
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

Thanks to all for continuing and improving the art updates for AE!!! A lot of excellent stuff added since I was here! Awesome!

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Thanks, everyone - I'm glad that you're able to use and enjoy these. It's especially gratifying to hear positive feedback from the gents who got much of the AE artwork off the ground. [&o]

TOMLABEL,

I hope you like this one in particular:

Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

On the left side, for each post OP makes, it is written:

"Korvar
Matrix Hero"

It is true. The bro IS A hero. Most impressed by the install utility and now this. [&o]
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: Korvar
For those who aren't aware, Halsey has an excellent website for WitP:AE art downloads.

Great art work here, guys! Glad to see we have many contributors! Keep up the good work!

TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Here is the Allied Insignia Additions 'Patch' #1 which replaces the generic ARD insignia with numbered insignia; it also replaces the artificial insignia I created for CLAA San Juan with the actual historical insignia:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

The .bmp files are attached as a .zip file.

If you run into errors, omissions, or have ideas to improve the insignia collection, please let me know. Once a decent amount of new/modified patches are produced, I'll integrate everything into the primary downloads in the OP.
Attachments
insignia_a.._patch_1.zip
(47.42 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Korvar

Post by Korvar »

Allied Insignia Additions Patch #2

This includes an improved generic USMC wings insignia as well as the historically accurate squadron insignia for the USAAF 475th Fighter Group (a P-38 FG which was historically best known for fighting in New Guinea):

Image Image Image Image

The .bmp files are attached as a .zip file.

Edit:
corrected attachment
Attachments
insignia_a.._patch_2.zip
(541.89 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
leiferik123

Post by leiferik123 »

Just want to say i am completely new to both the game and modding a game, i have tried to follow instructions and search for my self. But i cant find "Ae Icon File Replacement.zip" anywhere. All links turns me to Halseys page but i cant find a download link for it there? I managed to find chemkids v1 mappacks, and the vanilla icons don't fit at all. So i would appriciate any help in finding these map icons.
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

ORIGINAL: leiferik123

Just want to say i am completely new to both the game and modding a game, i have tried to follow instructions and search for my self. But i cant find "Ae Icon File Replacement.zip" anywhere. All links turns me to Halseys page but i cant find a download link for it there? I managed to find chemkids v1 mappacks, and the vanilla icons don't fit at all. So i would appriciate any help in finding these map icons.

I had to remove the map icon replacement from my download page.
I missed correcting the instructions, sorry.
Too many users had issues with them.

There are alternate map icons already in the Game Art Folder, to use them they have to be manually renamed to replace the current ones.
Different colors, and Japanese National flag are some of the options.

Here is my personal copy, be sure to look at them first to see if you like them.
I used more natural based coloring, with changes to the colors of TF's, ports and airfields.
They will overwrite the originals, so be sure to back them up.
This gives the game a more natural look, but may make it harder for some players to see the opposing forces.

Download the zip attachment below, and unzip to the Game Art Folder

Anyone else may try them out also.
Treetop64 used to use them, there may be some AAR's that he has done that shows them in action.
Attachments
AE Icon Fi..acements.zip
(363.91 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Great stuff thanks for your additions!
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

ORIGINAL: Korvar

TOMLABEL,

I hope you like this one in particular:

Kovar -

My apologies! I don't know how I missed this one earlier, but I did. I was just checking back in to see how things are going and saw this.

Indeed! I like that one very much!!!
ROLL TIDE!!!

Keep up the great work, Kovar and thanks for that one!
TOMLABEL
Art by the Rogue-USMC

Darojax

Re: Allied Ship Insignia / Patch Additions

Post by Darojax »

That is some grand work, thankyou.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”