Why isnt there an option for subs to patrol?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Antmf_slith

Why isnt there an option for subs to patrol?

Post by Antmf_slith »

I am playing the updated scenario Battle in the Coral Sea I click on my greenling sub and there are no arrows mext to set tf routing or destination. Any idea why?

Also in the video Im watching with XTRG from the challenge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMMYjeGJvjw&t=1265s at 20:43 it shows in the devices it shows that same sub has SJSS radar and my sub doesn't show that it has any radar?
HansBolter

RE: Why isnt there an option for subs to patrol?

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Antmf_slith

I am playing the updated scenario Battle in the Coral Sea I click on my greenling sub and there are no arrows mext to set tf routing or destination. Any idea why?

In order to be able to set a patrol pattern for any type of TF the home and destination ports have to be the same.
If you have given the TF a destination other than its home port patrol patterns will not be available.

An even more basic question, have you placed the sub in a TF or are you examining it while its disbanded into a port?

Screenshots help immensely with questions like these.

Radar was in its infancy at the beginning of the war. Most ships receive it through upgrades. Check the upgrade paths of your sub.
Hans

Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

How does one post a SS here on these forums?
Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

First pic is from the youtube video I am watching... I have no radar on mine like the video shows and I have no option to set a patrol like youtuber did...
Attachments
Sub.jpg
Sub.jpg (41.67 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

This is from my game same sub same location...
Attachments
Sub2.jpg
Sub2.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

Well I just realized the sub was under AI control so i changed that and now I have the proper button to activate for patrol. I still dont know why it does not show radar though...
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I seriously doubt if the radar was installed on the sub at the time. The US subs did not have radar at the beginning of the war and it was added later, plus there were upgrades to the radar giving you different types of radar during the war. The upgrades should tell you when each upgrade is available but in the Coral Sea, you won't have time to upgrade. Just go and sink all of the Japanese ships.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

To post a screenshot it needs to be less than 500k, so you may need to crop it or resize it to get it to fit. You also need to use "post reply" instead of the default "fast reply".

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

First click on the box by "Embed pic" then click on "Click here" and load your image.

Attachments
loadimage.jpg
loadimage.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 137 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

That is the Task Force screen. Click on the ship's name to see the ship's stats.

Attachments
E6.jpg
E6.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 137 times

Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

Got it It says I can upgrade so I click on upgrade but how does one finalize the upgrade? Everytime I think I upgraded I hit exit or back button only to realize that the sub still isn't upgraded...
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Ships have to be in a port capable of doing the upgrade. Most ports can't.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Ships have to be in a port capable of doing the upgrade. Most ports can't.
Also it is not instantaneous. Depending on the ship, it may take weeks or months to upgrade. You won't know if a ship is going to upgrade until a turn has passed. Then if it will you'll get a message that it is under repair. You can then check in the ships in port screen and click on "ships under repair" to see how long it's going to take.

Kull

Post by Kull »

Think about that comment for a second. This game is hyper-realistic. In WW2, did subs get a complete equipment upgrade in the time it took to click a button? No, they have to go into a port, which may have to be a certain size and might even require a shipyard, and are out of service for whatever period the upgrade takes. Also, upgrades are only available as of a certain date. And not many of those are "December 1941".

Get your manual out and read up on upgrades and conversions.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Also, before it begins, when you click on upgrade it gives you a repair estimate for that particular upgrade. If you click on "next upgrade" you'll get the info on that one and when it will be available. Here's an example of some ships undergoing upgrade. It also tells you that the ship is in the shipyard if that were required to get the job done. Not every port has a shipyard or necessarily one big enough to do it. Some things such as adding light AA can be done pierside.

Attachments
shipsunderrepair.jpg
shipsunderrepair.jpg (65.95 KiB) Viewed 137 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Set all of your ships to "no" on upgrades so that your ship isn't stolen by a shipyard to do an upgrade when it wants to instead of whey you want to.

Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

Awesome thank you so much...
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Set all of your ships to "no" on upgrades so that your ship isn't stolen by a shipyard to do an upgrade when it wants to instead of whey you want to.

I disagree. I only force 'no' onto those upgrades that will interfere with the function of the ship as I see fit. Otherwise, there's too great a likelihood that you will overlook good opportunities to upgrade simultaneously with a routine port visit. As a Japanese player, I dislike the 'upgrading' of the BCs to float plane pseudo-carriers and will avoid this outcome. But the myriad other upgrades are routinely accepted apriori.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm sure you don't have your CVs primed to get stuck in port for a long time when you're not ready for that.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Also, before it begins, when you click on upgrade it gives you a repair estimate for that particular upgrade. If you click on "next upgrade" you'll get the info on that one and when it will be available. Here's an example of some ships undergoing upgrade. It also tells you that the ship is in the shipyard if that were required to get the job done. Not every port has a shipyard or necessarily one big enough to do it. Some things such as adding light AA can be done pierside.

And in case you don't have information overload already, I will point out a subtlety of the game from Geoff's upgrading ship list:
1. If the upgrade information prior to starting says you need a shipyard of minimum size X, you will not be able to start the upgrade until you have disbanded the ship in a port with that size or bigger shipyard. The ship needs to be sitting in port a full day before the upgrade will start - if it arrives during a turn and auto-disbands it will not start the upgrade.

2. Once the upgrade starts, the ship only needs to stay in the SY if the upgrade imposes floatation or engineering damage in excess of what the port can repair. And if the ship starts out with those kinds of upgrade damage, they are usually the first to be repaired and you are left with only system damage on the ship. You can now move the ship out of the SY to "Pierside" mode to finish the upgrade. Most of the time the number of days to complete the repair will not change by doing so.

So every one of the ships on Geoff's repair list could be moved to pierside repair to free up the SY for other ships requiring repairs or starting upgrades.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”