How about the new update?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
woos1981

How about the new update?

Post by woos1981 »

I'm just curious How about the update going? It seems half years past no new version about this game.[&:]
Hellen_slith

RE: How about the new update?

Post by Hellen_slith »

I haven't heard anything about a new update, but if a new update comes out I hope that it incorporates the map mod that Cibarro i mean Cibido .... Cabido (sp?) did, sorry I can't remember names, it is thread in the Mods for grafx. Damn, I JUST looked at it. Short term memory loss. ANYWAY,

I can't make that work. I would like to see maybe an option that you could install that mod as an optional update ... for me, there are too many steps involved in making it work, so I would really like to see some sort of installer thing that would do it for you if you wanted.

I would pay MONEY for that. Doing all those steps is too hard for me, b/c I am a techno-klutz.

Same for an installer thing that would simplify installing scenarios ... just a little pop-up subroutine that asks, "which scene do you want to install?" and "where should I put it?"

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith
...for me, there are too many steps involved in making it work, so I would really like to see some sort of installer thing that would do it for you if you wanted.

I would pay MONEY for that. Doing all those steps is too hard for me, b/c I am a techno-klutz.

You mean like JSGME? https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Mi ... bler.shtml

It can be a little tricky to set up sometimes but its not rocket surgery.
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith
...for me, there are too many steps involved in making it work, so I would really like to see some sort of installer thing that would do it for you if you wanted.

You mean like JSGME? https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Mi ... bler.shtml

It can be a little tricky to set up sometimes but its not rocket surgery.

"Tricky" for me equals "Impossible".

For me, it is rocket surgery. Technology passed me by a long, long time ago. Resetting the microwave clock thing for CTD is about my limit now.

I need a clicker installer thing. Too much stuff handling all that rigamarole for me. I am a simple grunt. <sigh>
76mm

Post by 76mm »

For me, it is rocket surgery. Technology passed me by a long, long time ago. Resetting the microwave clock thing for CTD is about my limit now.
OK, understood, but it is a pretty handy tool. I'm sure people here on the forum could talk you through the process if you are willing to take a stab. It's a shame to miss out on nice mods!
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

OK, understood, but it is a pretty handy tool. I'm sure people here on the forum could talk you through the process if you are willing to take a stab. It's a shame to miss out on nice mods!

LoL well Larry can tell you how clueless I am, b/c it took him WEEKS to walk me through how to install just the updated TOAW exec LoL!! So yeah, I need that clicker do-er thing that just does it for me, like, "INSTALL?" Yes. "ARE YOUR SURE??" Yes. Bang, done.

All that downloading and renaming and unzipping and rar stuff ... that is just too much for this old man. LoL!!

Ok, well, I hope that is in the update, a clicker do-er thing. I put that in my letter for Santa this year LOL :)

Zovs

Post by Zovs »

For TOAW IV your really don't need to use JSME for most things (sans any UI stuff).

Just dump the stuff you want to see int your C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override folder and away you go. I created 3 sub folders called _X, _Y, _Z (not the real names just insert what ever mode you want to use and store the files in that folder and then copy it out and and up a level and off you go.

I have a mix of 3 or 4 modes for my own use and to me it looks great, no mod swapper thing needed.

Here is a scenario I am editing with the terrain and other bits I like:

Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Zovs

For TOAW IV your really don't need to use JSME for most things (sans any UI stuff).

Just dump the stuff you want to see int your C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override folder and away you go. I created 3 sub folders called _X, _Y, _Z (not the real names just insert what ever mode you want to use and store the files in that folder and then copy it out and and up a level and off you go.

I have a mix of 3 or 4 modes for my own use and to me it looks great, no mod swapper thing needed.

Here is a scenario I am editing with the terrain and other bits I like:
That's a really large formation. Can one HQ supply all those guys simultaneously?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Looks sharp, Zovs!

Cheers
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
That's a really large formation. Can one HQ supply all those guys simultaneously?

I don't believe that is an issue. For the Air Forces for both sides I did not create any HQ units, and the formations have between 3 (only the Poles) to 32 total air units (mainly the Russians).

But for the Ground forces for both sides I did include what I call Army HQ's and each of these for both sides have both Command squads and Support squads. So it's not a wise idea to use HQ is attack but you'll need to keep them near the front to get their supply and support capabilities that they provide (some folks think that the range of HQ is only if they have artillery, but I believe this also shows the support that HQ can provide, at least that is my understanding from both playing and reading the manual).

This mechanism allows me to show say minor nations with one command squad and majors to have between 1-6 command squads, so protect your HQ but use them near the front. In my initial tests this works really well.

See:

18.10.5 - 18.10.7
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Looks sharp, Zovs!

Cheers

Thanks Bill!

Here is some newer screen shots. I have updated the colors to be a bit more reasonable (to me at least) they are not exact color matches to SPI game, but are a combination of both SPI and DG versions of the game and my own preferences. After I am done building this, I may modified the unit colors, maybe trying the SPI or DG schemes, we shall see.

German (Gray), Polish (White/Green on Brown), and Russia (White/Black on Red):

British (Tan on Tan) and French (White/Blue on Blue), Netherlands (Black/Blue on Dark Blue), and Belgium (Black/White on light Blue) unit colors:

Italy, Yugoslavia, Hungary and Romania:

Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Zovs I love your colors and terrain, would you mind uploading your graphics override as an attachment or to a dropbox so I can duplicate?
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

the range of HQ is only if they have artillery, but I believe this also shows the support that HQ can provide
HQ's boost supply to adjacent units only. Supply Units have a Range for boosting supply. [:)]
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Zovs I love your colors and terrain, would you mind uploading your graphics override as an attachment or to a dropbox so I can duplicate?

Yes I can but not till after Memorial Day weekend. It’s a mix of like 4 or 5 mods, it it works for me.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've tried to copy what Zovs has done and I think I came pretty close. Download this bad boy and see what you think:

http://www.filedropper.com/graphicsoverridefiles

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (507.27 KiB) Viewed 222 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Thanks Larry and Zovs.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Ditto.

Cheers
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I seem to remember some of the "old-timers" talking about a beta under testing, maybe a couple of months ago. I would also be interested in how it's going with any patches.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

My Mod:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stjjw8pegd1ks ... d.zip?dl=0
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Note that the graphics are mainly from Telu, with some variations for the Rivers, RR, and other stuff Steve has posted, a few here a few there, but its what I like and use.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”