After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

YorStein

After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP

Post by YorStein »

If all things go as planed , i can and will post the first Few Turns from the German Side.
See ya all in a few days or a Week
YorStein

RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP

Post by YorStein »

The Post will come with a 12-18 Turn Delay which translates to 6 to 9 Months in ingame Time
MC456

Post by MC456 »

Good luck, and may the best man win!

I was preparing screenshots of the action and typing up my report while playing through my turn, so I have the Turn 1 AAR ready to post once we get to that 12 turn mark.
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

i got the Feeling that his Match will not last until 1939 ^^
At least if keep Losing units at this speed there wont be anything left by Nov 38 , if i only had Tigers or a few Stugs :)
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

I´m happy to see someone is interested in this scenario. Who is your enemy?
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

The Soviet tanks are weak, and their air force will soon be unable to fight the Germans. I lost to Ned in about 40 turns (late 1939).I think this scenario offers a good game experience, however, a player that fights with manually created units will have some advantage over those who choose historical TOE.
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

MC456 is my enemy , also i think the supplies are somewhat problematic . I realy have problems building replacements while creating new Formation is not option at all . And i think he fairs not much better if not much worse ... though i understand if you have an Standing Army of 9000 units or 12000 then this level of Supplie consume is probaly logical.
If i am not mistaken the 2nd Civil War scenario is also from you , in that one you have way more room to keep your standing Army in the field while also Creating new Formations .

As stated , we both will start posting comments and screenshots of the game ones we hit turn 12(so we have 12 Turns delay so there is not so much intel for the Opponent ^^) (we are at turn 4 right now and we will hopefully hit turn 12 on 31.05 or 1.06)

One last thing , this for both of us the first Multiplayer Match , dont expect Hannibal or Ceaser level skill ;)
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Yes, supplies are meant to be scarce, however, you can use your factories to build supplies or to allow you to produce more supply in your cities. You also import some.
MC456

Post by MC456 »

Yeah starting the game with a fully equipped army will naturally have a high supply budget per turn. Unit production definitely gets scaled way back until you start taking casualties.

Despite being our first Player vs Player game, I think we're doing pretty well. :)

Great scenario, by the way. Having a blast with this one. Definitely see what you mean about the Soviet tanks being weak in comparison to the German counterparts though. Those Panzers are crazy scary. And full strength Panzer divisions are the stuff of nightmares...
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

If you survive to the end of 1939, you start to get the KV-1´s, by mid 1940 you also get the T-34, they will give you superiority until the PzIVG arrives (1942). You can try to import tanks (don´t remember you can import hardware). However, your import budget is limited and you want to get some Spitifires I. The T-28 is a decent tank against the early Pz-III´s and Pz IV´s. Latter it will become outdated.
MC456

Post by MC456 »

Do those units unlock automatically over time, or do we have to research it when it comes to it?
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

They are unlocked automatically, but you still can research some "what is if" items.
MC456

Post by MC456 »

TURN 1 - RED ARMY

Noticing a weak spot around the center of the map, I have 3 Artillery units concentrate bombardment onto a threatening Panzer Division that would shred my infantry by the next turn and dive deep into my lines. I manage to destroy a few tanks and several infantry squads, and severely drop the readiness of his units. Next I launch an attack onto this weakened hex, picking off a few more tanks and routing them. After the victory, the attacking units occupy that hex and immediatly launch an attack onto an unprotected airfield, destroying all air units stationed there. A great start so far!

Along the north side of the map are fortifications, each side nesting with well entrenched infantry. I decide not to waste the lives of my men, but use my artillery units to lay down some barrages along the fortified corridor, in an attempt to drop their readiness and pick off as many kills as I can, to dissuade my enemy from launching any coordinated attacks of his own.

I seize a couple more opportunities around the mid section of the map and manage to gain some territory after bombarding his weakest spot and coordinating assaults from 3 angles.

The south proves to be a situation similar to the north, except instead of a column of fortifications it's a river line. I commence artillery bombardment and advance where I can to ensure I have my infantry guarding the full length of the river on my side.

As far as my airforce goes, I launched a grouped airstrike against an enemy airfield position in the south, killing most of his men and leaving the rest in a battered position. Though he did manage to take out about 4 of my planes during the process. I had one Motorized Infantry division with enough AP to follow up with an assault, and I managed to kill the remaining soldiers as well as destroy any air units left on that hex.

Before ending my turn I set the Intercept Readiness limits of my fighters, remap most of my production facilities to feed my Supreme HQ, and set my production to match the TOE Division builds that came with the scenario, in order to effectively reinforce existing units. While I don't suspect my foe will be cheeky enough to try amphibious invasions or paradropping troops behind my lines, I also don't want to underestimate him; therefore, I am keeping reserve divisions where they are just to be on the safe side.

I managed to do a hell of a lot of damage on my turn, but I can only imagine what he's going to pull of with his counter attacks.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Any data on 1st turn losses?
MC456

Post by MC456 »

Hmm didn't take a screenshot of that, but when I get my turn (probably tomorrow) I will check the graphs. He suffered pretty substantial losses though. Enough to make a man want to cry
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

Turn One
Blue Army
Report : Grim

Attachments
1Turn0.gif
1Turn0.gif (484.57 KiB) Viewed 528 times
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

Army Group North

Attachments
Turn03.gif
Turn03.gif (495.4 KiB) Viewed 527 times
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

Army Group Center

Attachments
Turn02.jpg
Turn02.jpg (447.81 KiB) Viewed 527 times
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

Army Group South

Attachments
Turn 0 1.jpg
Turn 0 1.jpg (449.93 KiB) Viewed 527 times
YorStein

Post by YorStein »

Operational Outlook :
We took some losses though the size of our Industry and Army should mean that we can afford it for the time being , priority will be given to the creation of an Elite Tank Force.

Activ Report:
Some counterattacks where made but nothing major , cutting the Reds back where we can and maintaing a good Defensiv Line while moving reserves

Return to “After Action Reports”