HMNZ Cruisers Achilles and Leander

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

spence

HMNZ Cruisers Achilles and Leander

Post by spence »

In the game the Commanding Officers of the two New Zealand cruisers starting in Auckland are Ensigns Bell and Jones. Apparently they are created out of whole cloth since the largest ships in the New Zealand navy service would never have been commanded by an Ensign (still learning to tie his shoes).

My initial searches for who really commanded the HMNZS Achilles and HMNZS Leander led instead to the story of the epic battle between HMNZS Kiwi and HMNZS Moa and HMIJS I-1 (thread in the main forum) but I finally found out who commanded the cruisers at:

https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship

(So if anybody cares on 12/07/1941)

HMNZS Achilles: Capt. Barnes, H.M. (included in the 1941 database but his ratings are better than both Ensigns Bell and Jones)

HMNZS Leander: Capt. Bevan, R.H. (also included in the 1941 database - again better ratings than Bell/Jones - while CO of Leander the ship sank the Italian raider Ramb I and captured a Vichy merchant ship.
Kull

RE: HMNZ Cruisers Achilles and Leander

Post by Kull »

Thanks for doing this research! Love adding as much realism to my game as possible, so both ships now have the correct skippers.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Can you add commanders and pilots to an ongoing game?
Kull

Post by Kull »

To my knowledge, you can't add completely new names to an ongoing game. In this case, both commanders are already in-game, just not assigned to the ships. That of course is an easy fix!
Dili

Post by Dili »

Thanks Kull.
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

I changed them with editor so when I start a new game they are already the correct CO's. Also I found that some of the US subs that are at sea have the wrong CO's. Basically the correct Captain is set as TF Commander so a random CO is assigned. I set the TF Commander to random and the default (Correct) Captain is now assigned to Captain the sub.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
Reg

Post by Reg »

It's been on the OOB 'to do' list for as long as I can remember (and look at my joined date). [:(]

Guess they never got around to it..... [:'(]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”