Assigning Supplies Required at bases in Japan

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

durnedwolf

Assigning Supplies Required at bases in Japan

Post by durnedwolf »

In the home islands of Japan I normally set up bases with aircraft and engine factories with Supplies Required around 5-6k knowing that the base will try to keep about 3x that setting. I've always thought that'd help as the engine/air frame factories are built up to my desired production levels.

I was just wondering if other Japanese players increased Supplies Required at bases and, if so, how much and why?

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer
jdsrae

RE: Assigning Supplies Required at bases in Japan

Post by jdsrae »

I do, purpose is to get supplies at the base above 10k, otherwise the industry won’t repair at all.
Some cities have lots of factory repairs to do in the first few months like Gifu, Maebashi, so I set the counter on those types of cities maybe up to 10k for the first few weeks so they try and stockpile 30k. Once the factories are fully repaired you can reset to baseline need only so supply flows to where it is still needed. Then for later war engine and airframe changes you might need to toggle those dials again to keep 10k+ supply at the base to allow the factory repairs again.
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
awaw

Post by awaw »

Setting supplies at Gifu too high at game start will cause wastage.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

In the home islands of Japan I normally set up bases with aircraft and engine factories with Supplies Required around 5-6k knowing that the base will try to keep about 3x that setting. I've always thought that'd help as the engine/air frame factories are built up to my desired production levels.

I was just wondering if other Japanese players increased Supplies Required at bases and, if so, how much and why?

As the above have mentioned, set supplies to the levels appropriate to increase your factories. I would advise doing these things somewhat slowly. Keep an eye on supply usage for factory increases early.

Also, as the war goes on, it is important to build the smaller base airfields/ports to a cumulative total of size seven so they will have barrage balloons, and the forts as well to increase the number of balloons present. It will also help of course to make sure supply isn't wasted by over allocating to a small airfield/port size.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Sure, that's a necessity
Before that, I try to spread my factories in such a way that backwater bases did not have a lot of actively building factories, so that turn supply consumption per turn not be too much. Else you risk depleting your >10k stocks inside a turn and some factories would not repair when they could.
Then the level of supplies depends on what you expect of consumption. A bit of wastage from overstocking (like 21k supplies in 17k base) is OK, it is small and temporary. I do not build up Gifu or Nagaoka at the start, there are more important things to build like ports in the north. Overstocking is temporary anyway - as you are finishing expanding your R&D to 30 you can cut stocks down, consumption from repairs will be small
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I find setting the dials to 4-5k to be sufficient in most cases. Just watch that you don't go into wastage at some of the small basses. Japan doesn't need to waste any supplies, period.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Japan doesn't need to waste any supplies, period.

That is the Japanese point of view. The Allied point of view of Japan wasting supplies is quite different.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
Trade-offs, trade-offs, it is always about those. Absolute positions do not work during war.
Is 20 supply wastage worth a day early repair to the particular factory? What about 1 supply wastage?
jdsrae

Post by jdsrae »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
Trade-offs, trade-offs, it is always about those. Absolute positions do not work during war.
Is 20 supply wastage worth a day early repair to the particular factory? What about 1 supply wastage?

My thoughts are similar. It was a good point by awaw as I hadn't checked that detail and now know that Gifu starts with a 17k supply limit, but I wouldn't change my plan for that.
I only set supply at Gifu > 17k for a few days so I could implement my industry plan asap, so wastage would have been sweet FA.
Important thing is to try and forecast your Supply usage based on your pre-war industry plan then monitor actual vs forecast.
The benefit of a few wasted supply points is that I now know my industry plan is in place for the next few months and I can focus on the myriad of other things.

"Oh, I'd only waste them anyway"

Attachments
Hans.jpg
Hans.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 128 times
durnedwolf

Post by durnedwolf »

Another time I'll ramp up supplies (although this is normally in an area of the map that's seen significant ground combat) is when I'm trying to rebuild infantry divisions. I find it helps to move an HQ unit to the base as HQs seem to pull supplies to wherever they are at. But I'll still bump up the Supplies required to 8k or so in that base and then split the division up into A/B/C to rebuild/add squads. When rebuilding I set the Operation Mode to Rest/Training.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Yes. You have to in several cities, lest (like other posters have stated) research and production factories won't increase. The '4k to 5k' draw arrows are usually sufficient. Maebashi and Gifu sometimes take a while to get the memo and may require more than that setting to draw supplies sufficiently above 10,000.

I can usually do most of these cities in the first week of the war. Within a week or so thereafter, I find that I only have to fine tune a handful of them to get the supply reservoir where it needs to be.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Any base within supply range will give replacements, so it is good to send units to an area with a number of bases with an excess of 2X needed supplies. Also with an excess of support squads since that helps to un-disable devices.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

There's no need to waste even one supply point. Japan has more to do at the start than she can afford to, so no need to waste supply. Simply build up said base(s) while doing other things and do the built up base(s) later.

There're are some places where this may not be avoided. One that comes to mind is Palembang. It will have wastage (unless the Allies help by building up the base) until Japan can build the base to the unlimited point or she can get enough out. This however is the exception and not the rule.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The benefit of a few wasted supply points is that I now know my industry plan is in place for the next few months and I can focus on the myriad of other things.

OK. I'm in May '43, and still can't get my 'focus' off my industry.[:D]

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Is 20 supply wastage worth a day early repair to the particular factory?
Simply build up said base(s) while doing other things and do the built up base(s) later.
Bro, do you even read?

High ops losses of airframes? Simply build up said base
Transport TFs unload slowly? Simply build up said base
Just a bit too little VPs for the auto victory? Simply build up said base

You see the pattern, right? The "simply" part is actually not simple. Or quick for that matter
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

double post.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Simply build up said base(s) while doing other things and do the built up base(s) later.
Bro, do you even read?

You see the pattern, right? The word "simply" is actually not simply, or quickly

OK, no need to get one's shorts in a bunch.[:D] TBH maybe I'm missing your point or intent. To me it is 'simply', as Japan has so much to do in the first place. I can 'simply' do one thing and then move to the next. If you wish to lose supply to 'wastage' that's fine, but I do not. I'd rather wait to increase the base size, then move in the supplies to increase the bases' production levels.

BTW I did do a cursory check one time long ago. I think Yaab asked if anyone knew what the 'wastage rate' was. Well I had just taken Palembang and it was in a 'small wastage' state. I don't recall by how much. At any rate I was 'wasting' ~3% oil/day (I know that's not supply, but its the one time I checked). AFAIK that number would increase the higher the overstock level. Just like supply at Atolls.

Anyway back to the post.

More to it. Weather, fatigue, experience, opposition. Is there more?

Use a different base or add NS devices.

Would expect my opponent to be doing the same to counter.

So maybe these are not so simple.

To you this is acceptable, that's fine. As I've said though I prefer to take care of other business and to build up those that may cause me some wastage a bit later.

Just a style of play. And also I post differing views, not to be a PITA, but just to express an opposing opinion. No desire to ruffle anyone's feathers. As always JMHO and YMMV.

Peace.[:D]

jdsrae

Post by jdsrae »

To use a term that you hear a bit where I live, “pacifically”, the choice at Gifu boils down to:
1. Get the aircraft and research factories setup ASAP to bring on the benefits, or
2. Delay your aircraft plans while you spend time waiting for engineers to arrive, then spend Supply building the airfield up a bit.

To me the choice makes itself for a few reasons
1. I concentrate my engineers priority 1 on Port construction. Fusan for every construction unit in Manchukuo and Ominato for the one or two in Japan. Airfield construction in Japan is a luxury that I’ll probably save until 1943.
2. I want more early war fighters ASAP and Gifu has a few factories of those.
3. I don’t want to waste a day of research time so want to get those research factories set and forget for a few months

So it’s either waste Supply for a few days or waste time (months in my view). Decisions decisions...
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Decisions decisions...

Always.[:)]

awaw

Post by awaw »

What I plan to do is to set the r&d a/c factories in Gifu to mid/late war models, so supply consumption gets differed a little. Existing a/c factories continue producing as they are (really only the Ida is a terrible choice here, Thalia / Lily are ok choices) until they get swapped for another (not so)early war airframe (eg Rufe/Zero). This leaves *just* 5 engine factories to take care of, until we get *ONE* base size increase. Just 1 size will allow easy stockpiling for a while.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”