Tactical carrier wargames?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kursk1943

Tactical carrier wargames?

Post by Kursk1943 »

Are there any tactical carrier wargames WW II similar to Carriers at War on the market?
I intend to buy it, but it was released in 2007, which seems an eternity regarding software development.
spence

RE: Tactical carrier wargames?

Post by spence »

If you're looking for a game about any of the WW2 carrier battles it looks like Carriers at War is all there is. Its last update for was in 2015.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Carriers At War is even older than you think. Matrix reissued it in 2007, but I recall purchasing the original SSG version back in '94 or '95. It was the first computer wargame I ever purchased.
fair winds,
Brad
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Yes, I also played the SSG version back in the good old days. Then I'll go for the new version, seems to be no alternative available.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

No instant gratification from me, but this one is in the works: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/78 ... -4-desktop

I kicked in some coin on that one myself. It should be good.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Yes, I also played the SSG version back in the good old days. Then I'll go for the new version, seems to be no alternative available.

The new version is a completely different game.

Frankly, I preferred the original.

The original was an operational game, the new one is strictly tactical with a real time game engine.

It sound like that may be what you are looking for though.
Hans

Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

Are there any tactical carrier wargames WW II similar to Carriers at War on the market?
I intend to buy it, but it was released in 2007, which seems an eternity regarding software development.
Carriers at War is okay. The advancement of software development did little to improve wargames, to be honest. It just produces sexier graphics.
Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Carriers At War is even older than you think. Matrix reissued it in 2007, but I recall purchasing the original SSG version back in '94 or '95. It was the first computer wargame I ever purchased.
Nope, Carriers at War went all the way back to 1984 on Apple ][.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Fighting Flattops is still up and going: http://www.fightingflattops.com/

It's a turn-based tactical carrier game. The basic game is free for something like 250 games. There's a fee beyond that or for more complex version.

I played FF back in the '90s and enjoyed it. But that was before I got immersed into games like UV, WitP and AE. Without trying it again, I don't know if FF would stand in good comparison to our games.

FF has been mentioned in the Forum a few times over the years, and I recall that Chickenboy played a few matches against AE folks about five years ago.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

Thanks for your comments and hints!
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

I hope to personally bring some novelty to the genre soon enough, but yes for the moment - and for the last 15 years - the MatrixGames remake of Carriers at War and John Tiller's Midway are the only serious examples that come to my mind.

Rule the Waves 2 from NWS, to be released a month from now, will allow you to design, manage carrier units and engage them in combat, but because of its scope it is not supposed to be an historical simulation per se.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

going slightly off-topic... is there any interesting tactical carrier combat board game?
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Depends on the sort of experience you're looking for. If it's a solitairejob, then Carrier (by Victory Games) is pretty neat.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1679/carrier

The aforementioned Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal (and its future PC iteration, Carrier Battles 4 desktop) is based on the Carrier system, AFAIK.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Flattop by Battleline Games (later repackaged by Avalon Hill) was the best two person board game depicting carrier battles. I also liked Carrier, the aforementioned solitaire game by Victory Games. I have no idea if there is a good board game out there now on the subject.
fair winds,
Brad
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

now the question is where to buy in Canada, it is seriously difficult to buy wargames
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/252 ... geekmarket

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/167 ... geekmarket

Obviously Carrier is a bit pricey, but there's a vassal module out there to ease the pain a bit.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

way too much $$$ since it is second hand and I would be lucky to find (or bribe) someone into playing.. so lots of money for maybe playing it never

and I never understood the idea of virtual board games, I mean if I want to play a game looking at a screen, then any computer war game will totally defeat a board game; and these modules are painfully slow/ awkward to manipulate anyway
miv792

Post by miv792 »

There is Pacific Storm: Allies RTS, there is an opportunity both to play on a strategic level map and on a tactical one, there is also an opportunity to complete historical missions on a tactical level and there is a combat designer on tactics.
Modding group with best mods.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/PacifcStormGamers
Sorry for my english
Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

Just discovered this one today: HPS Naval Campaigns Midway
https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/ ... idway.html

Extremely detailed with rudimentary graphics. Look it up on youtube.
Kursk1943

Post by Kursk1943 »

ORIGINAL: Technopiper

Just discovered this one today: HPS Naval Campaigns Midway
https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/ ... idway.html

Extremely detailed with rudimentary graphics. Look it up on youtube.
Thank you!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”