Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies)

Post by Lowpe »

The 46cm kills..

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (120.81 KiB) Viewed 107 times
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Even with all those kills, the Yamato's aren't close to paying themselves off VP wise!

Must suck to be the crew of SC-703 and have a shell that weights an appreciable fraction of your boat ruin your day.

Would you consider playing this game on after auto-vic?
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

ooohhhh,
I can almost smell the jet fuel burning.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Even with all those kills, the Yamato's aren't close to paying themselves off VP wise!

Must suck to be the crew of SC-703 and have a shell that weights an appreciable fraction of your boat ruin your day.

Earlier in the thread
ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Will you guys continue to play thereafter? You've probably already covered that, but I can't recall.
It will be game over, I need to concentrate on Obvert![X(]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

The presence of the super heavies has been a game changer, and the Yamato has easily earned her VP (at least 2-1) in her six months of operation. You have to toss in ground losses too, you know.

Their presence, and stellar performance, have had a huge effect on Allied operations and tactics and also improved Japanese tactics and the tempo of offensive operations.

Get was kind enough to answer the question on AV...I feel the need to work with Obvert. 2 full games is simply a bit much for my schedule.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Jan 17, 1943

Japan bombards Cocos, Adak, Cebu with the IJN...

The attack on Adak gets a 2-1 and reduces forts to 1 and with that result (plus some ground combat in China), President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill are brought to the negotiating table and a cease fire declared.

Japan has achieved their war goals and will negotiate a peace and a Greater Asian Prosperity Zone!

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (357.61 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Post any questions & I will endeavor to answer them.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Congratulations on the exemplary JFB AAR! Well deserved victory.
AFBs should study it for the perils of "too little, too soon" urges.

Hopefully this one will sweeten the bitter pill of that other game [:)]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

In reviewing my AAR, the siege of Chungking began around August, but I had made the decision to bomb the industry there early in the war (once Ichang got to level 4-5 runways) and sent a half dozen bombing runs to Chungking targeting at first manpower and then light industry.

This tactic was based upon the fact that I have never seen Chungking's industry not get destroyed, especially with all the troops Wargamr had put there (over 9k AV).

Anyhow, I stopped after a bit, based on some forum postings that industry destruction was more binary.

However, once Chungking fell the industry was indeed wiped out...I am not sure if I should have continued with the industry destruction or not?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I hadn't really looked at my economy in months and months, really once I saw the path for auto victory without much risk or really violating my key strategic plan for the game.

Over 5 million supply at Jan 16 of 1943 is not too shabby. Fuel is strong too, considering the KB and BB's were constantly at sea! The KB however only moved a hex or two or three a lot of the time, and even held the same position at sea depending upon DLs to minimize fuel usage.

Almost every base I took brought their industry intact (except for Chungking)...very lucky for Japan.

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (205.71 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Japanese research and development.

Kind of quirky...but would definitely get Frank very early. I think having 10 factories on Frank would have been sufficient, and I should have had more on Sam.

The plan was to roll the Frank factories into jet or rocket I think and skip the Ki94 and Ki83.

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (269.75 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

No super crazy expansion of the IJN air force. I think that was about the only HR, no super size combat squadrons, although Wargamr did want to have the ability to super size training squadrons. Whether he did or not, I do not know.

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (321.79 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

IJAAF Fighters

Nothing crazy here. One sentai and one chutai of KAI Dinah for night fight roles.

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (333.08 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Fighter Bombers

Used in bombing/strafing roles in China; lr cap, base defense, night fighters. Not many credited kills, but they did very good work.

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (399.51 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Sally was the workhorse, very little Helen production. Lilly was used primarily in ASW role.

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (320.5 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

So this was a Dec 8th Start, Scenario 1, reduced shipping, Asian Roads Babes game...I also had realistic r&d off and I don't think I used that feature at all in the game (but it does give Japan production and research flexibility for late game surprises or mistakes).

Asian Roads didn't really seem to have any impact.

Dec 8th Start is super nice. I started the game without even running a test turn, and with about 1 hour of work time for the turn.

Reduced shipping is nice, but I didn't have any problems shipping. I used Adens/Lima for resource convoys. I converted almost every ship I could into AR (none of them finished), and also had 20-30 AD.

Singers and Palembang both fell on Dec 31, 1941. Burma was taken by amphibious invasion, the lack of destroying a lot of Allied troops on the ground there led to the decision of a Ceylon Invasion...meant to merely be a raid and retreat. Ceylon was invaded April 42 and fully conquered early May. The Chungking Plains was taken June I recall with Chungking falling in Dec of 42.

Allied counter offensives at Akyab (weak), Tabituea and Attu were beaten back and destroyed, and High Command decided to reinforce Ceylon (just in time as a British invasion fleet was just off shore) and start a general offensive in the Aleutians in an attempt to force the Allies to the negotiating table.

The IJA never really held strong forward positions but was held back in reserve and reacted to aggressive Allied offensives. By gaining naval superiority, the IJN was used in an artillery role.

However, by the end of the game, with the negotiation table in sight, the IJA did dedicate lots of troops forward in the Aleutians...perhaps 7 divisions with an 8th at Fusan ready to go.

Wargamr is an excellent, seasoned opponent with a track record of relentless, crushing offensives. Therefore the key Japanese strategies was to leave the doors open and let him in.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Congratulations, Jeff. Auto-Vic isn't easy to achieve.

I didn't follow this AAR early on, so now I'm going back to read it carefully - to see when an why the wheels came off for the Allies and when and how you decided to pursue AV. My working theory, without knowing much at this point, is that China was a major factor in your AV. This'll make good reading in between my own turns.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The VP tally for the last few months

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (789.51 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Congratulations, Jeff. Auto-Vic isn't easy to achieve.

I didn't follow this AAR early on, so now I'm going back to read it carefully - to see when an why the wheels came off for the Allies and when and how you decided to pursue AV. My working theory, without knowing much at this point, is that China was a major factor in your AV. This'll make good reading in between my own turns.

Thanks, I was very lucky. I am think sometime in early-mid Nov I decided to reinforce Ceylon, reinforce it and go for Auto Victory. There was a post by Alfred earlier I think by Alfred that the game would end in AV...but it wasn't until the naval clash at Ceylon mid Nov that I thought it was possible, and then really possible when I got significant reinforcements on Ceylon.

Most the early game wasn't AAR'ed but highlighted so you can get thru a lot in the first two pages.

This was the scene on Nov 12, 1942 -- a few days prior was some major surface combat with British Cruisers that went pretty heavily for Japan. At this point there was probably not more than 60 AV on Ceylon defending.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments
zzzz.jpg
zzzz.jpg (198.86 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Congratulations on the exemplary JFB AAR! Well deserved victory.
AFBs should study it for the perils of "too little, too soon" urges.

Hopefully this one will sweeten the bitter pill of that other game [:)]

Thanks, Get[&o]; you have been with me forever and your statistical fact finding is invaluable! It made my ground game very successful in this game.[&o][&o][&o][&o]

What other game?

Return to “After Action Reports”