Knights Cross 2D Counter & Map Mod Released

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Steely Glint

RE: Knights Cross 2D Counter & Map Mod Released

Post by Steely Glint »

The modded counters don't show up when editing scenarios, though. Is there a way to fix that?
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
IronX

Post by IronX »

^ Good to hear that a reinstall sorted out the conflict!

I imagine that the game's - including the editor's - default now is to show the original graphics. Only after the game is run with mods activated will the new counters show up. So, unless you install the mod directly to the game, which is no longer recommended, I don't think there's an easy fix. Hubert will likely have a difinitive answer.
Simulacra53

Post by Simulacra53 »

Tried both, but prefer JSGME, so still using the mod that way and it works the same in normal game or community games (latter means it is NOT used but overruled by custom game files).

For the record I don’t like it when games put large amounts of data outside of the game directory, imo any profile data should be limited to config files and settings, not entire campaigns and mods (etc).
Simulacra53
Free Julian Assange
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

The user campaigns refuse to work. I'm not liking this upgrade much.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

I imagine that the game's - including the editor's - default now is to show the original graphics. Only after the game is run with mods activated will the new counters show up. So, unless you install the mod directly to the game, which is no longer recommended, I don't think there's an easy fix. Hubert will likely have a difinitive answer.

Correct, at the moment the Editor does not load graphical mods and I'll have to look into this to see if it is an option as there might be the possibility it won't easily work as campaigns within the Editor are a bit more dynamic (as they are being developed) than when they are in their more static state at launch time within the game.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53
For the record I don’t like it when games put large amounts of data outside of the game directory, imo any profile data should be limited to config files and settings, not entire campaigns and mods (etc).

At one time everything was within the installation folder, but Microsoft changed how things work and files are no longer easily stored and modified from within the Program Files folder without going through administrative setting hoops, and all done by explicitly going against Microsoft guidelines and User Account Control security settings etc. Essentially it doesn't really work well at all if you try and store customized campaigns, mods, saved game files within the Program Files folder after initial installation as these files will not show, and they will be stored in a 'Virtual Store' folder instead.

This is why all new applications, games and so on, no longer do this.

More info can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... sktop-apps

Specifically section 10. Apps must install to the correct folders by default:

10.1 Your app must be installed in the Program Files folder by default

For native 32-bit and 64-bit apps in %ProgramFiles%, and %ProgramFiles(x86)% for 32-bit apps running on x64. User data or app data must never be stored in this location because of the security permissions configured for this folder.

IronX

Post by IronX »

New version now available. Changes mostly affect German fighters and all late model aircraft. See first post for details and dowload link.
budd

Post by budd »

Awesome job, love the new wave graphics. am i wrong, looks like you put the mod files in the folder, activate and they work for both versions of the game, Steam and Matrix. I did have to re- download the community scenarios as they would show in the Steam version, but not the Matrix version. once i installed the new download it shows in the Matrix version, but the Steam version shows them twice on the campaign list. don't think that will cause an issue.
I really should pick a version and uninstall the other:-) Now there's a mod folder i might just uninstall the Matrix version. One thing i'm not sure of if i stop using JSME is that the mod folder won't point out conflicts, and you don't get to pick the order of the mods.

Look forward to the WAW version.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
IronX

Post by IronX »

Yep, put the mod in the mod folder. It should work for both Steam and Matrix versions. When the WAW game is updated, it will similarly go in its mod folder. As the same mod will work for both games, I’ll be combining the two to save on downloading.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

Does not work for me. [&:]
I see all the three mods in option menue, but if I mark them, nothing is changed in the game.
Using the Matrix Version.
They are located in the .../my games / SCWiE / mods folder.

budd

Post by budd »

Without being able to see your files, my question would be did you unzip the files all the way? As I recall there was a zip inside a zip. My guess would be your file structure is off in some way,probably an extra folder level. Seems to use the same folder structure as JSME. All the modded folders are in one folder, not in a folder then another folder.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

Thanks Budd.

I had not seen, that there some sub, sub, sub folders in the zip.
I copied the last one and now it works.

Thanks for the fine mod, IronX. [:)]
IronX

Post by IronX »

Thanks!

The current version of the mod zip file has a main folder (Knights_Cross_Mod_1-2) that contains several sub folders. You just extract the whole lot into your Mods folder and activate it in Settings. Same with the update if you have the previous version.

This will be the same process for World At War when the game is next updated to include the mod manager.
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Great mod, thanks ! [&o]
Former AJE team member
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

ORIGINAL: IronX

New version now available. Changes mostly affect German fighters and all late model aircraft. See first post for details and dowload link.
w available. Changes mostly affect German fighters and all late model aircraft. See first post for details and dowload link.

Great Mod! Really adds appeal to the game.

Since you changed the German planes you might want to consider adding the Pe-2 to the Soviet Tactical Bombers. It was a very important plane through 1943 with over 11,000 being made.

Also I suggest that the Tu-2 be moved to Medium bomber and take up the 4 or even 5 slot. It was arguably the best medium bomber of the war, faster than all but the Mosquito yet able to carry over 6000lbs of bombs.
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

This mod looks great for the Battle of Britain mod in SC3 Europe

Attachments
IronXModModded200.jpg
IronXModModded200.jpg (197.96 KiB) Viewed 312 times
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

I have a current version of KC 1.2 installed and a current version of SCWIE. This mod is selected in settings.

Every nation EXCEPT Russia has Knight's Cross counters. Russia still has those awful vanilla counters. What could be wrong here?

Hubert: License this guy's counters for future versions, please.

Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

Fixed it myself. There were some corrupt and unerasable files in the bitmap directory. I renamed the directory and reinstalled, and all is fixed.

Stardog765

Post by Stardog765 »

Love this mod!
Quick question earlier in this thread it was mentioned that this mod would be combined with the one for WaW so there was just one main mod for both games?

Has that been done and is this THE version to use or should I get the WaW version?

Thanks sorry if that has been asked but I did not see it.

Great work!
niki_belucci

Post by niki_belucci »

I absolutely love your counter mods for WiE and WaW!! They make the game so unique and imho more enjoyable.

As I`m relatively new to the game series I wonder whether you have some documentation on some of the icons on the counters. E.g. aircraft counters the two numbers on the bottom right corner. Or the two/three circle icons underneath the aircraft shilouette. Thanks already!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”