Customize scenario: Change start date!

Share mods, scenarios and other customizations here with other gamers.
Technopiper

Customize scenario: Change start date!

Post by Technopiper »

1. First of all, download: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
It's a free hex editor, a tool for programmers. Unzip and place it anywhere. No installation required. I place it in a folder I created called "Hex Editor".
2. Start CotD, launch the scenario you wish to customize, then save it.
3. Go to your save folder. Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\<Game location>\SavedGames, drag and drop the save file on to "HxD.exe" and the editor will open it up.

See attached picture:
Highlighted is the location for start date. "0A" in hexdecimal is "10" in human speak, and "09" is "09". The start date in "Early Russian Arrival" is 10-9 or October 9. This isn't correct. Change it to October 2 by typing in "0A 02". I even run it for a few turns to see if Augereau would show up on October 8. He did. In the old setting he would never show up, being past his due date.

So far I have only found the start date location. Next I need to find the indicator for city ownership, which is probably in 0/1 switch.

Just a small tip. In the hexdecimal system, number goes like this:
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10 (10 in machine speak is our 16)
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E 1F 20 (which is really "32")

Windows calculator can do the conversion for you. Click "view" then select "Programmer".
Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (190.17 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Technopiper

RE: Customize scenario: Change start date!

Post by Technopiper »

Okay, I figured how to do it. I want to make all three 1805 scenarios identical from the French perspective: the date and city ownership will not give away which scenario is in effect. Then I can use a randomize program to scramble them before starting an 1805 campaign. This way I would have no idea what to expect and what positions the Coalition forces are in.

To achieve this, I need to create a save file for the first turn of all three scenario, open them with a hex editor, then locate the settings for the Coalition forces in the second and third scenarios ("Early Russian Arrival" and "Charles replaces Mack"). This includes their composition and starting location. Here's where they can be found, see attached picture:

1. Hit Ctrl+F to search for "Charles". Place cursor before the "C"
2. Scroll down to line 111C0. The next line ends with "7F" just so you'll know. See picture.
3. Hold "Shift" then click right after the end of line 111C0. This will select the entire block from "Charles" to the place you just clicked.

Now you have selected the setting for the entire Coalition forces. It is at the same place for all scenarios. Copy it from "Early Russian Arrival" save file then copy it over to "Historical" save file at the exact same location, locate with above method.

Now "save as" a different name. E.g., "Early Russian Corrected". Do the same for "Charles replaces Mack".

Now you get three save file with identical French start positions, town ownership, and start date, but different Coalition dispositions. Scramble these three and load for the ultimate challenge!

Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (355.49 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I don't pretend to understand much of this, but if it leads into a way of editing CotD, especially force size and start position, then it will be a great advantage.

Thanks for the info, development by other means. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

I did a poor job explaining. :P

In short: I have created three save files for each of the 1805 campaigns. One is historical, one early Russian arrival, one Charles replaces Mack. Original 1805 scenarios have different start dates and city ownership. Mine are modified so that the French player can't tell which scenario he is playing. All 3 end on Dec 5.

For best result, you need "filename randomizer" so you can't tell which file you have actually loaded. FOG is nothing more than trying to fool yourself. :P

Email me and I'll send you my customized scenarios: walter[LIMA][ZULU][WHISKEY] at gmail dot com. (replace [Nato phonetics] with alphabets).

Edit: Or, instead of Filename Randomizer, just ask your wife to rename the three save files anyway she likes. :)
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Er, great but some of us are as old as Napoleon - but as Rasputitsa says if you can make some variants that those of us who .... or yeah I'll get the wife to look at this.. :)

How about a bundle of these - 20 or so - just don't tell us the variants.

PS - make some of them easier too please.
Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

In this zipped file, find a folder named "Randomize Me". In it are three saved progress: 1. 1805 Historical Setting. 2. 1805 Early Russian Arrival. 3. 1805 Charles Replaces Mack. All start from the first turn and from the French perspective. All are modified so that the start date and initial town ownership are identical. The point is that, as the French player, you won't be able to tell which scenario you're playing.

Place the folder inside your game folder. Before playing, randomize the file name with a randomizer found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fnamerandomizer/. Or ask the wife to rename them however she likes. Then load one of the saved progress as you would normally and march into unknown territory.

Attachments
CustomScenario.zip
(40.56 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

I'm guessing I need to provide an editor?
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

An editor would be much appreciated, but alternative scenarios and additional campaigns would extend the variability of the game system.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Technopiper

Post by Technopiper »

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

That would be very much appreciated!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”