Notre Dame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jevhaddah

RE: Notre Dame

Post by Jevhaddah »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Again...did Quasi get awzy????!!

Quazi and Ezmarelda are reported as being safe and sound in the Cayman Islands. Apparently they took the hump and moved out years ago. [;)]

Cheers
Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

As luck would have it, someone has a detailed measurement of Notre Dame to add to all of the photos and sketches. I imagine that Mr. Tallon would be delighted to know his research was used to help restore a building he loved.
Washington (AFP) - At Vassar College in the United States, a university team gathered the week before the devastating fire at Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris to plan an ambitious project: inventorying about a terabyte of 3-D modeling data of the famed Gothic masterpiece.
The precious data is the work of Andrew Tallon, a Francophile American art professor who loved medieval architecture and was passionate about Gothic cathedrals. He died in November.
His technique was nothing new, but his application of the tools was innovative. In 2011 and 2012, funded by a foundation, Tallon used a laser device to accurately measure the interior and exterior of the cathedral, which was ravaged by flames this week.
He placed the device in about 50 places to measure the distance between each wall and pillar, recess, statue or other form -- and to record all the imperfections intrinsic to any centuries-old monument.
The result is over a billion points in the "point cloud." The final computer-generated images reconstruct the cathedral down to the smallest detail, including its tiny defects, with a precision of about five millimeters (0.1 inches).

On American hard drives, a precise 3-D model of Notre-Dame
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Registered 3.8 million Syrian refugee in Turkey but estimated 5 million today. in 2040 it is estimated 10 million population. Not to disrespect but why the rich is very slow on these.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Protestors were out starting fires in Paris today. Apparently they feel slighted that wealthy donors were able to fork over a billion toward repairing the cathedral but couldn't do the same to help the nation's poor. So I guess if it comes down to a tradeoff, do you repair an historic landmark of enormous national pride or do you let the landmark go to waste in favor of giving the money to the poor?
Orm

Post by Orm »

Why one, or the other? Why not aim to do both?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Sorry, was just idle curiosity wondering which would be more important if it came down to either/or. IRL, I'm sure both can and will be done.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Wow!
Interesting twists and turns in the discussion.

Why does anyone think the rich are responsible for the poor among us? There will always be rich and poor. There always has been?
There are those with power and those without. There has always been?

Not sure why the refugees in Turkey were brought into the discussion. Though, I am sure there is a solution to the refugee problem and it will not be the "rich" that fix it.

Why is everyone so adamant about spending other peoples wealth?

I have the wealth of freedom ... and rich or poor ... it will not be taken from me. Nor will I give it up without a fight.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

In an econonmics class years ago a professor said that if you took all of the money in the world and distributed to everyone equally. In a certain amount of time most of the wealthy would be wealthy again and most of the poor would be poor again!
Tony
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Guys, please stay on topic...
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Guys, please stay on topic...
When did we ever let that stop us? <sigh>
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

If I had 3 billion dollars (just a random number I'm throwing out there), I'm of course wondering, where did it come from?

Why exactly do I have 3 billion dollars?

How much is enough.

I'm living in a nice enough apartment. I eat well, I have a lot more clothing than I need.
I just bought SC3 World at War (I call Strategic Command SC3 by the way). I bought it because the sale was nice. And I wanted it.
The thing is, I live on a disability pension. My life is based on an sum of 1800.00 a month currently. Because I have a spouse. I was living on 1150.00 before.

3 billion dollars. I can't image that sum any more than I can relate to the distance between my living room and the nearest star to Sol.

3 billion dollars.
I'd call up ALL my friends and family. They'd be all millionaires by the end of the day. I have a lot of friends and family. It wouldn't matter.

I'd buy a nice place to live, like maybe a provincial park :) The whole park. Nah, they wouldn't sell me Algonquin Park. I'd just buy enough of Ontario north of here, that I could call it a provincial park if I wanted to. Maybe I'd buy one of our lakes, and 20 acres on every side of it :) Balsam Lake looks nice. It has a sizable island in the middle of it. Perfect for those people who worry about Zombies :)

I bet that wouldn't even dent the first billion.

Hmm I wonder if a billion is enough to buy enough votes to win the provincial election. I'd do better than Doug is doing that's for sure.

1 billion dollars out of 3.
I could sure plant a lot of trees.
Or just build a great deal of affordable housing complexes around the province.
Which sure would buy a lot of those votes :)
I could sure make a lot of young people real happy with education benefits.

For me though.
I'd make a modest home on that island in the lake. I'd make it all wooded except the part that I used to grow some crops on.
I'd have a small corner store and post office and utilities building put up. But otherwise, I'd be out there more or less alone just me and my honey.
I'd be self sustaining. I wouldn't really need money.

I have no idea why millionaires need millions let alone billionaires needing billions.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Esmeralda,
I do not race for money.
I am neither buying nor selling.
I just want to be treated properly.
Quasimodo.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

Sorry, was just idle curiosity wondering which would be more important if it came down to either/or. IRL, I'm sure both can and will be done.
I am sorry as well. I did understand your premise. I just wanted to say that I want the humanity to strive to be better. That every year should be better than the last. Perhaps what I want us to strive for is impossible. But, if we all decide to stride for the impossible, then we have the capacity to make the impossible possible. And I want to remind you that when a great nation decided to put a man on the moon they did so. So, yes, when we all want to do something badly enough we can do it.

Anyway. I am truly sorry.

And sorry for getting preachy. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

I am sorry as well. I did understand your premise. I just wanted to say that I want the humanity to strive to be better. That every year should be better than the last. Perhaps what I want us to strive for is impossible. But, if we all decide to stride for the impossible, then we have the capacity to make the impossible possible. And I want to remind you that when a great nation decided to put a man on the moon they did so. So, yes, when we all want to do something badly enough we can do it.

Anyway. I am truly sorry.

And sorry for getting preachy. [:D]

No worries. It was a good point which you made.

Return to “General Discussion”