All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

loki100

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by loki100 »

though maybe I can [8D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Somehow, it feels like it is time for... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3nrZUJLrKM
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

@Warspite That has to be the greatest game of football ever. I turned it off in disgust when Man City supposedly scored only to find out just now that VAR had disallowed it. What an emotional roller coaster!
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I see it is still April and we have folks discussing football here [:-]

What amazing too days these have been
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

@Warspite That has to be the greatest game of football ever. I turned it off in disgust when Man City supposedly scored only to find out just now that VAR had disallowed it. What an emotional roller coaster!
warspite1

I did the same. The goal went in (great play Eriksen [8|] - so he was on the pitch after all) and the TV went straight off. My daughter then shouted out that social media (whatever that is) was going beserk about the goal going to VAR so I rushed back to watch the last couple of heart stopping minutes.

We'll pay for it on Saturday and not qualify for the Champions League - so April is still not happening - but it was so good to actually win a game like that for a change - even though we were pretty rubbish. But as a Spurs fan, I'll take any small crumbs of comfort [;)]

It'll be tough against an impressive Ajax team that have beaten Real Madrid and Juve (and I mean actually beaten each as opposed to scraping through) - especially as there will be no Harry (both games) and no Son (first game). But we're in the semis so hope springs eternal... wait, what did I say about hope? [:@]

I hate stoopid football
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Piteas

Post by Piteas »

Don't Worry, Spurs.

You have the Holy Elbow of Llorente [;)]

Good luck with the dutch boys.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I thought the Hitler rant video was done for years ago, but this one actually got me chuckling a good few times. David Squires level dialogue, almost. Can't wait on his take on this come next Tuesday, come to think!

Explicit Language warning, of course.

Hitler finds out Manchester City are out of the Champions League

edit: fixed the link
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

"And Guardiola. What was he doing with Fernandinho on the bench? Who did he think was going to commit 20 fouls without getting booked?"

Fact Check: True [:'(]
---
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
Explicit Language warning, of course.

Hitler finds out Manchester City are out of the Champions League

edit: fixed the link

As usual people are really really fast (what you get via whatsapp when something happens is the proof). A Hitler's rant without assorted swearing is not a proper rant.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

And by the way, it turns out the very first Hitler's rant parody involved the Premier League too. A parody I already posted on these boards a couple of times iirc. The first one.

EDITED: correction, no the one where Hitler's car is robbed has to be the first one. In fact, the first I ever saw, probably in 2007.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

And by the way, it turns out the very first Hitler's rant parody involved the Premier League too. A parody I already posted on these boards a couple of times iirc. The first one.
Ah, the Tevez / West Ham shambles. Still can't belive they basically got off scot-free from that.
---
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

"And Guardiola. What was he doing with Fernandinho on the bench? Who did he think was going to commit 20 fouls without getting booked?"

Fact Check: True [:'(]
warspite1

Thank-you. I know it was only Spurs, a team historically so Spursey that a grannies XI could beat them in a game that mattered, but that is not the point.

Guardiola not playing Fernandinho was a toxic mix of sheer mind-numbing arrogance and stupidity - especially with the ageing Kompany in defence (although ironically it was Laporte that suffered the mare).

You need to rest players as you are going for the quadruple? Sure, but every Champions League game is effectively a cup final - especially as they were losing 0-1 and without an away goal from the 1st Leg. He can rest whoever he likes against most teams in the premiership - but not a Q/F of the Champions League.

So still no Champions League aside from the Barcelona wins. Good. Next time perhaps he will show teams a little respect.

Yeah, Fernandinho should have been booked for his second challenge last night but....

All of the above never happened of course, but your comment and my response would have been valid if it had....[:D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I've just changed my mind on who I want to see sitting on the Iron Throne.

Pilou Asbaek is a Spurs fan - so COYEG!

What is dead may never die.... er... I think I prefer Audere est facere to be honest....

Nutter!!
Attachments
517d410c-c..f375d6f0.jpg
517d410c-c..f375d6f0.jpg (110.57 KiB) Viewed 60 times

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So still no Champions League aside from the Barcelona wins. Good. Next time perhaps he will show teams a little respect.
Billion, two more on his squad, and he'll eventually make it...
---
TulliusDetritus

Billion, two more on his squad, and he'll eventually make it...

Luck is not a small factor in the CL. Yes, you need to be good to win it, that goes without saying, but there's not really a method. The stars align, enjoy your good luck.

The last Liverpool title is a good example. Or take Zidane's team three titles. If there was indeed some method, then how do you explain Real had to wait 32 years to win another one (1998)?

A league on the other hand, you have to be very regular. In fact, any national league could be called a Regularity League.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Luck is not a small factor in the CL. Yes, you need to be good to win it, that goes without saying, but there's not really a method. The stars align, enjoy your good luck.

The last Liverpool title is a good example. Or take Zidane's team three titles. If there was indeed some method, then how do you explain Real had to wait 32 years to win another one (1998)?

A league on the other hand, you have to be very regular. In fact, any national league could be called a Regularity League.

True. I made the comment in the context of Guardiola not respecting other teams as Warspite wrote, resting his players against Spurs. Granted, those on the bench would walk to almost any team's starting XI with ease, but still.

For cup competitions, like UCL, luck is of course a factor, less in the group stage, more so in the QF and SF stages, and most so in the final, as that is only one game. Spurs and Ajax going through to semis is a remarkable achievement in itself, and should be applauded as such.

On the other hand, I am not at all sorry that PSG and City are out, as is evident here. On the contrary, I am really looking toward next Tuesday's Squires cartoon, per how he previously concluded that PSG were out per "away lolz" rule. No truer words said [:'(]
---
TulliusDetritus

I am not at all sorry that PSG and City are out, as is evident here.

Fair enough.

I too am very biased. I want the teams that play (or at least try) attacking, attractive football to do well. El Baldie is one of these football merchants so I wish him well in general. And looks like the four teams left play the sort of football that I do like (I am biased that is).

... as long as Liverpool bags the title(s) it's ok
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I am not at all sorry that PSG and City are out, as is evident here.

Fair enough.

I too am very biased. I want the teams that play (or at least try) attacking, attractive football to do well. El Baldie is one of these football merchants so I wish him well in general. And looks like the four teams left play the sort of football that I do like (I am biased that is).

... as long as Liverpool bags the title(s) it's ok
I'm a Finn and my local team is VPS Vaasa, but as our league can - at best - be compared to English League One, the aspirations of any footballers would be to move abroad. The Netherlands is a popular location, and with Jari Litmanen coming of age together with that Ajax team, they forever have my support as well. Another local hero, Sami Hyypiä, spent his career at Liverpool, so that's my definitive English team, and a team I've actually supported since my hero Ray Clemence made such a mark there, while I was a kid hoping to become a top goalie (I didn't [:D] )

Ajax - Liverpool would be the dream final, so likely that means it will be Spurs - Barca instead. [:(]

But it is not just the destination, it is the journey getting there too! So I am going to enjoy the heck out of those too trying to make the final stretch!
---
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Not often I say this, but today I will be all COYS!
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Not often I say this, but today I will be all COYS!
warspite1

Well that's a shame for Liverpool because we are going to struggle to put out a midfield today.... I hear no Lloris and both Dier and Foyth are playing.....

Let's hope we can keep the goals against to single figures [:(]

At least I can console myself with the fact that all this is not happening when we fall out of the Champions League places (by close of play Monday we are likely to be 6th). Stoooopid game.

Return to “General Discussion”