Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Omatkoicorko

RE: Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome

Post by Omatkoicorko »

ahhh, got it, thanks!
tgram1224

Post by tgram1224 »

First of all, just want to say as a new player to the game, amazing work to everyone involved in the modding community. It is quite inspiring. The multitude of incredible features RogerBacon has added is quite impressive.

That being said, I'm only having 2 minor problems with this mashup Das123 has so graciously provided to save a bit of headache that can come with combining mods sometimes, especially to the less tech-savvy.

1) The ctrl+; and ctrl+' buttons aren't doing anything. I've tried every combination of them to no avail. It's not a huge deal but I know I would use these buttons alot if I could get them to work.

2) I get an error when trying to use the ctrl+W function to order a passenger mission. Forums wont let me post the error here yet as it thinks I'm trying to post links. Also not a huge deal again but would be nice to have the option.

Everything else in the mod is working so far.
Any help as to whether these problems persist at all in the original Bacon mod would be helpful and this might also not be the place to post this. Thanks!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: tgram1224

First of all, just want to say as a new player to the game, amazing work to everyone involved in the modding community. It is quite inspiring. The multitude of incredible features RogerBacon has added is quite impressive.

That being said, I'm only having 2 minor problems with this mashup Das123 has so graciously provided to save a bit of headache that can come with combining mods sometimes, especially to the less tech-savvy.

1) The ctrl+; and ctrl+' buttons aren't doing anything. I've tried every combination of them to no avail. It's not a huge deal but I know I would use these buttons alot if I could get them to work.

2) I get an error when trying to use the ctrl+W function to order a passenger mission. Forums wont let me post the error here yet as it thinks I'm trying to post links. Also not a huge deal again but would be nice to have the option.

Everything else in the mod is working so far.
Any help as to whether these problems persist at all in the original Bacon mod would be helpful and this might also not be the place to post this. Thanks!

Hi. Glad you are enjoying the mod.

1 If you mean the alt+ctrl menu then just make sure you are pressing alt (and holding it down) before pressing (and holding down) the ctrl key.
2 Make sure your source and destination are set in the passenger.txt file.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

After playing this mod for awhile and watching other's play it, I've reached the conclusion that missiles are overpowered. In my own version I've cut their range from the super-long 1200 down to 400. The other balancing issue is that the super-missiles (Caslon, et al) do a huge amount of damage which should be balanced by their slow fire rate but due to the fact that a weapon doesn't fire again while their projectile is on-screen means that these missiles are actually overpowered. Balancing these weapons is a little harder. Slowing down the projectile speed is a good start but more may be needed.

Also, the ship templates for bases could use some tractor beams to help keep invading transports away.

These are just my opinions so feel free to ignore them.
RevReese

Post by RevReese »

Hi all,
I have recently discovered the RetreatUE mod and wondered what exactly is included with this mod?

I am using BaconMod 1.75, DASChromeUI 1.5b, DW Extended Universe 1.0.3, Extended AI Improvement Mod 1.05, GEM2.4 and TG Sound Effects Mod v1.02.

All are merged into one "Theme" and seem to work together no problem (so far!).
I have read the readme from RetreatUE to get an idea what it adds, but that does not seem to answer my question on what mods are included with it.

Can I install and use this mod alongside the ones i already have? does it include some of them already?

Sorry for the newbie question but i am a little confused! I just want to add RetreatUE while keeping my current mod list if possible.

Also, before following the steps on the first post, can i manually update the BaconMod after as it has been updated in the RetreatUE folder since it has been updated since that post?

Thank you for your time.
Husband, Gamer, Modder, Reader, Writer, Blogger!
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

RetreatUE is built on top of this:

tm.asp?m=3834204
RevReese

Post by RevReese »

Thanks for your speedy reply! [:)]

To clarify, the mod already contains: Extended, DASChrome UI and Improved AI? Would this replace my current mod setup? I like using the mods i already have installed but don't want to miss out on this great sounding mod!

I assume all the included sub mods are up to date so i can just install and go without worrying about compatibility?

Sorry for not understanding, but i am still a little hazy on integrating this mod with my setup.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: RevReese

Thanks for your speedy reply! [:)]

To clarify, the mod already contains: Extended, DASChrome UI and Improved AI? Would this replace my current mod setup? I like using the mods i already have installed but don't want to miss out on this great sounding mod!

I assume all the included sub mods are up to date so i can just install and go without worrying about compatibility?

Sorry for not understanding, but i am still a little hazy on integrating this mod with my setup.

It sounds like you already have everything included in this mod.
RevReese

Post by RevReese »

Thanks for your reply!
Ah i see, that is what i was starting to think.
In that case, i will stick with my current install. But will keep an eye on this one to make future installations quicker.
I have just updated the Baconmod (which is awesome thanks for all your work Roger!) and about to start a new game.

Thanks guys for the help :)
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Hi Das, thank you for compiling your mod with these other gems. I hacked together my own working version in January, but this is nicer! It's usually a long time in between visits to the matrix forums and I am always so pleased to see people are still doing great things in these parts.

With that out of the way, I've noticed a small issue. Was it intentional to delete the unique characters from each race? I see that the Visareen still have their unique leader, but after clicking through about half a dozen races I wasn't able to find any of their usual starting characters. The Ugnari and Ketarov, for example, are meant to start with unique intelligence agents but they have been deleted from their character file. The Zenox are missing their scientist Randul. Etc.

I'm guessing it is a bug to do with the mod editor, because all the races I have checked have the line at the top that says:
'Distant Worlds - Characters - 1.9.0.0 - Modded by the Distant Worlds Mod Editor by Sabranan'

The only one I have found which does not include that line happens to be the visareen, who have retained their unique leader.

I am happy to copy over the old character files from a different theme but thought you'd want to know. I think the race specific characters add a bit to the game :)
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

The Retreat UE mod only has character files for the "visareen" and "core" races. The modding tool will create empty character files for any missing races if you choose to output the characters, but this can lead to a situation where you might lose characters if the mod was designed to rely on the default DW files for the default DW races.

Easiest way to resolve is just to copy all the DW default character files into the mod folder and overwrite the blank files the tool creates.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Thanks for the clarification Sabranan!

This is my first time seeing your mod tool. Awesome stuff! I've fixed and made a lot of DW typos over the years so I really appreciate a tool that eliminates that possibility. I'm looking forward to downloading it and giving it a go :)

I've already fixed up my installation but hopefully Das sees this sometime in the new year and re-uploads a version that doesn't accidentally wipe the character sheets. Most players probably won't realise that they need to manually restore those files.
Arturo28

Post by Arturo28 »

Hello, I am a completely ignorant modding games.
Can you tell me how (in detail) to modify mod files to have fighters as bacon mod says?

Thanks in advance
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Which mods are recommendable with this DasBaconRetreat soup?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

None. Or cosmetic only. Anything bigger will break it. But why would you need more? You've read what the 3 combined mods are correct?
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I skimmed over the "List of 41" thread and Bacon + this one stood out as the biggie must-haves. I had in the past used Das Chrome for certain and loved it, but it has been so long since I played the game the extent of its changes are a bit foggy.

The main thing I was pondering was a mod which expands the Tech Tree, e.g., Research Unleashed by Osito.

I am also trying to get Osito's "Galactic Map" to work with this theme so that I can play as Humans starting on Earth in a galaxy that approximates the actual Milky Way.

I'm not super enthused about doing a bunch of file shuffling and string editing fu to get stuff integrated together . . . But I am curious if there is anything relatively easy and harmonious that runs well with this soup. Sounds like no [:)]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
Osito

Post by Osito »

Fyi, the Retreat mod already includes a big part of Research Unleashed.

Research Unleashed gives you:
The Research mod
Haree's races
Das Chrome
Part of Icemania's AI mod

I believe the Retreat mod gives you all of the above (well, most of the Unleashed mod) + various other changes (some of which relate to the economics of the game) and increased difficulty. I'm sure someone else can give a better description.

So you either pick one or the other, depending on what you're looking for.
Osito
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

RetreatUE is based off of Unleashed Extended 2 which is based off of Research Unleashed. It has all of what Osito mentioned except for Icemania's mod which I rebuilt from scratch. Games should be challenging as I streamlined the AI's as much as possible. I don't remember all the details anymore though since I haven't played in probably 2 years now.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah thanks guys! Sounds like the Bacon+RetreatUE+Chrome gots all the bases covered!
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Ah thanks guys! Sounds like the Bacon+RetreatUE+Chrome gots all the bases covered!

It's one stop shopping. :)

Return to “Design and Modding”