RE: Submitted Scenarios

Post by Hailstone »

Here's one for the hell of it...

Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Here's one for the hell of it...

Hold Your Ground!

South of Wickerschwihr, France, January 27th, 1945: The French 1st Army had been stymied by the ferocious resistance
of the German 19th Army in front of Colmar since the beginning of December. Toward the end of January 1945, the French
launched a general offensive to eliminate the "Colmar Pocket". 2nd Corp was ordered to liberate the city with the help of
U.S. troops of the 21st Corp. The first objective: the Colmar Canal to the east. The Americans quickly lost momentum.
General Monsabert decided to throw in 4th Combat Command in an extra effort to first cross the canal then push on to the
south. Detachment A were to the fore, their objective; the bridge at Wickerschwihr. Platoon Bethouard, accompanied by a
detachment of Legionaires, were the first to arrive at the Canal. A patrol found that the bridge had been partly demolished.
It was impassable to vehicular traffic, but could still be crossed by foot. The French took up position, awaiting the arrival
of the rest of the detachment. Very soon, a german company approached from the direction of Bischwihr.

Game Length: 10 Turns

For the French to win they must defend the north bank of the canal from the oncoming Germans
For the Germans to win they must capture VP's on the north bank of the canal

French: Squads, MTR, ATR, LMG's, AFV's
Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, AFV's

Boards: #12, #16, #40

Aftermath: The Germans, clothed in their white camouflage, advanced on the canal with weapons slung. The French openned fire
at 400 meters, throwing the enemy ranks into utter confusion and forcing them to take cover. Then mortar barrage from Bischwihr
landed on the Cuirassiers and Legionaires. The Germans attempted to attack again, this time infiltrating onto the northern bank.
However, it was all in vain: 40 of them were soon captured in the woods just north of the canal. Even the intervention by a
light anti-tank gun was not enough to reverse the course of the battle. The French maintained their control of the position and
welcomed the arrival of the first American troops around 1600 hours. The defenders had successfully held their ground with the
only casualty being a slightly damaged tank.

Source: Tactiques Magazine ASL TAC 64, Hold Your Ground!
Attachments
HoldYourGround.zip
(26.34 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

No Better Spot to Die

La Fiere, June 7tn, 1944: Ste. Mere-Eglise was under strong attack from the north so the 507th Parachute Regiment was shifted
into a supporting position southwest of the town leaving only the 1st Battalion of the 505th Parachute Regiment facing the Germans
at La Fiere. What was left of the Battalion was commanded by Lt. John Dolan - eight senior officers having already been killed.
The obsolete French tanks employed by the Germans on the Cotentin had been dealt with harshly in the streets of La Fiere the
previous day, with four destroyed by a mere handful of paratroopers. Now the Germans would emply them again in more advantageous
terrain.

Game Length: 8 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture VP building hexes from the paratroopers
For the Americans to win they must defend the town from the Germans

Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, MTR's, AFV's
Americans: Squads, MMG's, BAZ's, AT Gun

Aftermath: The lead tank was quickly knocked out but it, the roadblock, and the burnt-out wreck from the previous day's fighting
now provided cover for the German infantry who opened a furious firefight. The paratroops soon began to melt away under the
constant fire. The platoon leader, 2nd Lt. William Oakley, was among the wounded. His replacement, Sgt. Owens, now with only 14
men left asked Dolan for permission to withdraw. The reply, "I don't know a better spot to die" seemed to stiffen their resolve
because they were still holding out when the Germans requested a 30-minute truce to evacuate the wounded. It is hard to say who
was more relieved to see the truce, but as the Germans used it to withdraw back into Cauquigney they obviously didn't realize
how close they had come to winning the battle this day.

Source: ASL Paratrooper Module, Scenario 16, No Better Place to Die
Attachments
NoBetter..ttoDie.zip
(23.4 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
UP844

Post by UP844 »

@ Hailstone:

I found a couple issues in "The Bridge at Kanev":

1) the Germans have several Panzerfausts, but the game does not allow using them as they only become available from 10/43 and the scenario takes place on September 25. A human player does not really need them, but the AI would be a bit tougher with some extra AT weapons.

2) AI-controlled German vehicles did not move after they entered the map: they sometimes started their engine and then stopped it without moving. I have to mount a search-and-destroy operation to gain a Major with the Russians.

"Hold your ground" is a nice scenario (I won't say more to avoid spoiling the fun for those who have not played it [:D])

Thanks for your effort! [&o]
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
rico21

The Yelnya Bridge

Post by rico21 »

The Yelnya Bridge

Yelnya, Russia 1941-10-13.
After the collapse of Soviet forces facing Army Group Center, a handful of Russian units were sent to defend the main
communications routes to Moscow -- the most critical of which was the Minsk highway which ran south of Borodino. Meanwhile, the
10th Panzer Division regrouped and followed up its main thrust towards Moscow, following the SS "Das Reich" Motorized Division.
On 13 October, German forward elements encountered the first Soviet defensive positions near the town of Yelnya where a small
stream had to be crossed in order to keep up the pace of the advance. ---- A combined arms attack by the Germans across a
stream. The Germans get two options, go for the village or go for exit CVP. The Russians cannot cover everything. Lots of
options for both sides.

Attacker: German (SS) (II Battalion Panzergrenadier Regiment Germania, 2nd SS Motorized Division and Panzer Regiment 7,
10th Panzer Division, Aufklärungs Abt.)

Defender: Russian (32nd Rifle Division/Reserve Company)

Best played on German SIDE first / with LOS: 5 Hexes / with RULE:Flank Side/ with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 4.5 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : ASL'Men [ ASL Journal # 7 ID:J102 ]
Attachments
Rico - The..a Bridge.zip
(23.86 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
rico21

RE: Front Porsche

Post by rico21 »

[>:]

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 905 times
rico21

Devastating Cheneux

Post by rico21 »

Devastating Cheneux

Cheneux, Bulge 12/20/1944.
The paratroopers had waited for the pre-attack artillery bombardment, but it didn’t happen. They waited for the two tank
destroyers assigned to attack, but the LT in charge of them refused to move forward, arguing his M36 Jacksons were no match
for the German armor on the other side of the open ground. Without artillery or armor, the paratroopers attacked anyway. The
situation was desperate.
The American paratroopers moved swiftly through the darkness, their speed and effort keeping the bitter cold at bay. Through
thick woods they’d captured earlier that day, they would soon break out into flat, open ground broken only by rows of heavy
barbed wire fences. Four hundred yards across that dead space, two companies of elite SS panzergrenadiers waited for them.
Supported by heavy tanks, half tracks, 75mm gun carrying armored cars and 20mm flak wagons, the entrenched SS troops possessed
the kind of firepower that could utterly wipe out an infantry assault.
By the end of the night assault, the 1-504 secured half of Cheneux. They clung to their foothold and awaited reinforcement.
The next day, the 504th’s 3rd battalion joined the fight and finished the job, clearing the town and forcing the Germans
across the Ambleve in bitter fighting.

Attacker: American (82nd Airborne)
Defender: German (Waffen-SS)

Best played on American SIDE first / with LOS: 8 Hexes / with RULE:No More/ with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 15 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : Battle Academy'Men [ Devastating Cheneux ]
Attachments
RicoDev..Cheneux.zip
(26.92 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Big Ivan

RE: Devastating Cheneux

Post by Big Ivan »

Thanks for the new scenario Rico![:D]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Raybert1123

Post by Raybert1123 »

Yes, thanks Rico for all your hard work. Did Hailstone give up on us? I was looking forward to a complete set of ASL TAC scenarios.
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Rico's Devastating Cheneux keeps kicking my ass that's why I've been absent. After 4 tries and never coming close to any victory and that is a tough pill to swallow, I suck. Raybert1123,
I appreciate your comment and I'll see what I can do but the material that can be ported over to TotH requires imagination that I often lack. There's still Rico's Front Porche that's next
before I start digging around for stuff to upload. SeeYa.[:)]
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Thanks Rico so very very Much!!!![&o] SALUTE!!

My father's brother, my Uncle Rudy Pirman was there at the Bulge and caught a severe case of frostbite on his
feet. He was in the 82nd Airborne, don't remember the regiment, and talked about it only a couple of times when I was a much much younger.

He is gone now along with my father, Nick Pirman.

My father was in the Medical Corps in WWII and Korea.

I miss my Father and Uncle Rudy a lot, wish they were here today!

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for posting that link my friend! It made my day!!!

Sincerely and Kind Regards,
John[:)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Devastating Cheneux:

an undisputed masterpiece...
a state-of-the art enjoyment...
an unforgettable experience...

... provided you like sticking your fingers (or some other body parts) in a meat grinder. In that case, it deserves an A++++.

In my opinion, after playing this scenario 8 times, it is absolutely impossible to win, or even to get a minor defeat.

I think it cannot beat "Best" as the worst ToTH scenario ever released since here you actually have a slight chance to win, provided the Germans roll a statistically improbable - but still possible - series of boxcars and suffer a string of AFV MA breakdowns.

Siegfried Sassoon

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Tips to win:
- Practice the war of movement by engaging your targets in close combat (Infantry, guns, Afvs). Gather your troops and attack as a group, you must travel 30 hexes in 15 rounds or 2hex / turn, you have and you must take your time.
Your worst enemies are anti-aircraft guns.
Use your Jacksons together behind an infantry screen.
In the back, keep several officers for the broken units.
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

ORIGINAL: rico21

Tips to win:
- Practice the war of movement by engaging your targets in close combat (Infantry, guns, Afvs). Gather your troops and attack as a group, you must travel 30 hexes in 15 rounds or 2hex / turn, you have and you must take your time.
Your worst enemies are anti-aircraft guns.
Use your Jacksons together behind an infantry screen.
In the back, keep several officers for the broken units.

It all sounds right but I disagree with "must take your time" because it's the time constraints that force me to make unwise moves. By the time
I get close to the first Victory hex my units are too depleted to move forward. I'll try again soon.[:)]
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Oh no, he's back...

The Merville Battery

Meadows of Merville, France, the night of June 6th, 1944: In preparation for the seaborne assault,
the 6th Airborne Division received the mission of occupying and holding the zone located between
the Dives and the Orne to the north of Caen. The destruction of the four large guns of the Merville
Battery in the northeast of this zone is entrusted to the 9th Parachute Battalion. It was the most
difficult task entrusted to a paratroop unit during the airdrop since the garrison included approximately
130 men defending the fortified positions with bunkers surrounded by barbed wire and minefields.

Game Length: 9 Turns

For the British to win they must capture the four large guns
For the Germans to win they must hold the four large guns

British: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, PIAT, DC's
Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG's, LMG's, MTR's

Boards: #5, #14, #19

Aftermath: After gathering his men, Lt. Col. Otway decided to divide his forces into seven groups. Two
groups tackled the barbed wire to open the way for four groups, which were to destroy the guns. The last
group was to make a diversionary attack at the principal entry of the German position. When the attack
started, the two gliders which had to land in the heart of the position appeared. Unfortunately, not
managing to locate the site, they landed 200 meters away. The combat intensified and, attacking on several
fronts at the same time, the British managed to progress rather quickly in spite of the keen German defense.
The garrison finally surrendered. 100 of the 130 defenders and 70 paratroopers were killed or wounded by
the end of the battle.

Source: Tactiques Magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 5, The Merville Battery
Attachments
TheMervilleBattery.zip
(26.26 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Raybert1123

Post by Raybert1123 »

Nice! Thanks Hailstorm.
Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Just when you thought I sucked so bad at TotH that I would have moved on but ...

"I Remember"

Ortona-Orsogna Road, The Abruzzi, Italy, December 14th, 1943: After the crossing of the Sangro and the Moro,
the 8th Army was stopped by the last obstacle on the road towards the port of Ortona. A ravine blocked the
way and from the heights, the German artillery and armored tanks broke all the attacks. From the 8th to the
13th, the three brigades of the 1st Canadian Division did not manage to advance. The keystone of the defense
was a large masonry building, Casa Berardi, which overlooked the ravine and prohibited access to a significant
crossroads to the north. The Royal 2nd regiment, the last regiment not yet engaged, received the command to attack
on the 14th at dawn. Already weakened by the ceaseless artillery battles of the previous days, the "Van Doos"
gathered at their starting lines. Beyond, in the mud and under an iron flood, was the ravine from where the
artillery was thundering.

Game Length: 10 turns

For the Canadians to win they must capture Casa Berardi.
For the Germans to win they must hold Casa Berardi.

Canadians: Squads, MMG, LMG's, PIAT's, MTR's, Radio, AFV's
Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, MTR's, AFV's

Boards: #7, #8, #11, #18

Aftermath: Under a flood of fire, Company C managed to cross and, slowly, but with a savage will, approached Casa Berardi.
With the Shermans slowed down by mud, the Canadians destroyed the first tank with a PIAT. But the enemy was everywhere,
and the loses were horrible. "They are on the right, on the left and behind us, only one solution, right in front!" howled
Captain Triquet. Literally crazed, the men gathered themselves and attempted to destroy Casa Berardi with grenades. The
attack force was at that point reduced to fifteen valid men and two tanks. The other companies were blocked by the
machine guns which still swept the ravine and their ammunition was becoming exhausted. But the cherished positions were held
all afternoon. In the evening, the valorous "Van Doos" of the Royal 22nd consolidated their defense, the two following
days, they pushed back the furious counter-attacks of the paras of the 3rd Regiment. The day of the 14th had seen a hero,
Captain Triquet. First of all the Canadians in the countryside of Italy, he would be decorated with the Victoria Cross,
the highest British distinction, bringing honor to Quebec and with his currency, "I Remember".

Source: Tactiques Magazine, Scenario ASL TAC4, "I Remember"
Attachments
IRemember.zip
(28.24 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Thanks Hailstone, "The Merville Battery" was nice (not to many units, Major Victory on the very last turn, equal losses for both sides, a fighting AI) [&o]

I'm going to give a try at "I remember": I also made a scenario about the fight at Casa Berardi from scratch, with a map based on actual topo maps of the area (a very tiring effort). It needs updating to exploit the new features introduced past its release (e.g. placing names on the map).

Siegfried Sassoon

Hailstone

Post by Hailstone »

Rico, thanks for that, great article. [:)]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”