Returning Questions

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

John S

Returning Questions

Post by John S »

I am returning to Flashpoint after about a 3 year absence. Have fully udated the game, reread the manual and read the "What's New Compilation". Have played as NATO in all short scenarios. Now on the medium sized TF 12 Bravo. I have some questions as to which I am not finding the answer.

1) How do I get one unit to "lift" another. I have an AD 2/32 leg unit, lift needed is one subunit. I have a RC2 2/32 (recon) unit on the same hex, carrying capacity one subunit. Sorry for the dumb question but how do i get one unit onto the other? (Where is it in the manual?)
2) Unit resubordination. Are there any practical downsides to resubordinating units. When I played years ago I always kicked myself because I never thought to do this. I've read the manual, seems easy. Is there a time lag or other practical (i.e. performance degradation) issues if, for example, I resubordinate an infantry unit so it goes under the armor regiment?
3) In this scenario, an air strike was issued way too early, too near the Soviet Air Defense units, with predictable results. I thought there was a way that I could prevent the air unit from acting on its own but I cant seem to find/remember how to do it.
4) Disembarkation - zero versus "1". Seems to me that the unit would arrive faster but be more exposed if zero is selected and it would be less exposed but much slower if "1" or "2" are selected. Is this an accurate way to look at it?

Any help, much appreciated
StuccoFresco

RE: Returning Questions

Post by StuccoFresco »

2- Not that I know of, at least if you do it in the "deploy" phase.

3- You may have the "automated AI assignment" for artillery, FSCC.

4- With greater values the carried infantry will dismount earlier.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

My phone ate my posting yesterday on this, so here I go again:

1). You don't. Unit must have available organic lift in order to move via that transport. In a few scenarios units are sans lift and must be dealt with accordingly.

2). The downside is the increased radio traffic that can lead to the HQ getting targeted for strikes. In Red Storm there is no degrading performance for doing a mixed assignment. That will change in Southern Storm and also HQ loss will have a performance impact.

3). Best way to hold onto aircraft and rockets is to turn off the FSCC in the scenario using the FS tab on the Commander's Notebook (turning off the FSCC in the pregame options turns it off for the entire scenario).

4). Each point of value is 500m of disembarkation from the waypoint. You are correct about the lower loss risk. In some cases, you may want to have the infantry out before getting into LOS of the enemy and prevent their loss if the APC/IFV gets hit.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
John S

Post by John S »

Thank you both for your help. Always great support on this Forum. Great!!

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”