Fort building broken.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

xhoel

Fort building broken.

Post by xhoel »

I have been running tests and it seems that fort building after a fort reaches level 4 is not working properly no matter what the player does. I run the tests using an optimal command with a high admin leader, and the Corps was at supply priority 4. The fort unit had 3 construction Bns attached, the 2 Infantry divisions were on static and had Pioneers attached to them. The hex fulfills the requirements for fort level 5, yet after 20 turns the building is stuck at the level it was once it reached level 4.

I have noticed this on all hexes that reach the level 4. They get stuck at that and don't build anything anymore. So if the hex reached the level 4 and had 0% building towards 5 it will remain like that eg: 4 (0%). If it reached level 4 with 12% towards level 5 it will stay like that eg: 4 (12%). So it isn't even building up to 10% towards the next level which should always happen.

I have noticed the same thing in my GC 43-45 on which I am doing a AAR. Can provide saves if needed. Please take a look at it and fix it.

Best regards,
Xhoel

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Denniss

RE: Fort building broken.

Post by Denniss »

Only will be built in hexes that have a fort unit and a port of at least size 4, not possible in a swamp hex
Is this met ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: Denniss
Only will be built in hexes that have a fort unit and a port of at least size 4, not possible in a swamp hex
Is this met ?

Yes.
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

I believe the maximum fort size is level 4. I've never seen higher.

Cary
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

I believe the maximum fort size is level 4. I've never seen higher.

Cary

Max fort level is 5, like in WitE and is also stated in the manual. The reason why it may have never been encountered in game is because something seems to be broken.
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Can you send a save to 2by3@2by3games.com. I have a vague recollection of a conversation with Pavel re making it so that you couldn't build a level 5 fort during the game (as these represent massive fortifications that were generally only built at critical ports). However IIRC, that conversation was about WitE2. It's possible that game was changed and that WitW was changed at the same time. It's also possible that construction has been made so difficult at that level that it doesn't happen or that there is a bug keeping it from happening. A save would help us get to the bottom of it. Thanks.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Done.

I can understand the decision and the reasoning behind it but I would still like for the level 4 forts to go up till 10% at least and not get stuck at 4 (0%). It would also be nice for the Germans to be able to build at least 1 or 2 level 5 forts so that they could at least recreate certain drawn out battles such as the Battle of Brest. The WA in game can abuse the Naval Task Forces and send 6 task forces (with a shitton of naval guns) against a port and the battle is over in 1 week.
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

We've got this on our list to check. Thanks for the save. Pavel said that he can't see anything blocking building fort level 5 forts. However, It is set up to be very difficult in terms of construction and supply points. The fact that it got to 4 (12%) makes me think at some point it was building up to a 5, but possibly it only gets really difficult after it passes 4(10%). We won't know more until Pavel has a chance to run your save in the debugger to see what's blocking the build. In the meantime, I suggest you just assume that you won't be able to go past 4.

I have distinct memory of talking with Pavel about whether we should let players build level 5 forts. They really represent only the largest forts built at some of the most important naval bases, things done before the war started. I assume based on his quick look at the code that we didn't intend to make it impossible, just very difficult.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Hey Joel, thanks for the answer. I would be cautious in assuming that. From what I have seen so far the forts stop building the moment they reach level 4. I have several forts in my GC game now that have been stuck at level 4 with 0% progress towards level 5. The fact that the forts don't even reach the usual 10% (towards 5) and just stay at the level they have when they reach 4 is what made me suspicious of a bug. I hope Pavel can figure out what is causing this.

I agree with you on the level 5 forts point. I was simply suggesting that because it would help balance the game a bit and make it resemble history (where many ports were in German hands till 1945 since the Allies decided that another prolonged Battle of Brest was not really worth it). As it is right now, a Allied player will simply take every port in France and will be in a much better position than the WA were historically and the Germans can't really do much about it.

Cheers,
Xhoel
tm.asp?m=4490035
tm.asp?m=4488465
Gunnulf

Post by Gunnulf »

I've not played for a few months so not the latest patch, but last time I did then I didn't have any problem developing several of the atlantic ports to level 5. This needed stationing a fort unit plus 2 infantry divisions to make enough slow progress but if you start in July 43 its consistently achievable by April/May 44. Not every turn shows progress, but most do.
"Stay low, move fast"

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”