Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server

Post by Rusty1961 »

No more taking turns. Just put the game on a server and play it anytime you want, real-time.

No more waiting for your opponent to take his turn while he is away on vacation. Imagine logging on when the mood suits you and playing all day if you want.

You should also have the server tell you by text or email if something interesting has happened such as a sighting of a CV TF, a group of AOs or an air-raid is inbound. Then log-in and react.

WHy can't this be done?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
JeffroK

RE: Upgrading PW: AE .....Real-time on a server

Post by JeffroK »

What game you playin Willis?????
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
pbiggar

Post by pbiggar »

Seriously, are you suggesting this turn based relic become a real time mmo? (massive multiplayer online game for those over 60)

That is some serious **** you be smoking...
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

It does sound like a good idea.
jdsrae

Post by jdsrae »

Good concept but it’d need an engine built from the ground up.
Would you be assigned to a nation randomly?
That would create some interesting coordination dynamics between nations by removing the god like Omni-present supreme allied ruler.
Bags not being the Free French!
Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

The game would not be a MMO like WoW. I mean you could have two or three players per side, of course.

1. There are no "phases"-just continuous play.
2. The game would be much more immersive as even when you're not playing it you'd be getting constant updates via text or email as to search planes, land forces, etc. Wouldn't that be fun?
3. You'd be much more closer to Nimitz or Yamamoto.
4. Imagine getting a text saying,"Rabaul radar reports large American raid inbound due in 30 minutes". That would be fun!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I, personally, would not want to be on-line just for one game for years. As far as the incoming raid goes, unless you are the commander at that base, before you could issue orders, have them encrypted, sent, then unencrypted, it would be too late for action other than receiving the requested damage report.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

obvert

Post by obvert »

The whole point of this game is that it's NOT real time. I don't want real time.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

If there is an upside to this (fantasy) conversation, it would be the possibility to automatically upload the proper turn files to a common server rather than having to copy and email them manually.

That would be an improvement....
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Each person could submit their turn and then the server would run it. Then send the results to each player. Of course, I would prefer a nice blonde server bringing me alt bier . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: obvert

The whole point of this game is that it's NOT real time. I don't want real time.

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The idea is unworkable unless you made it a massively multiplayer team game. No one person would be able to issue all the orders to all the units in this game in real time.
fair winds,
Brad
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

In strategic mode, would be turn based and real time for action phase to watch what going on in the fields. So doing the action phase you cannot control the units, except giving order earlier. So the commanders will have to rule that out.

What I like to see is 3D in naval and air engagements. The naval engagement in this game isn't good, its like each ships taken turn shooting each others. When ever the ships are in range, so much can go on within minutes. Naval maneuver is what I want to see, kinda like the old Gary Grisby's Warship back in the 90's. Either the ships and planes are in 2D or 3D, doesn't matter to me.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Odd, I thought the whole point was to have fun. Sigh.
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

I played something like that a long time ago called Imperia, or something.

You have to be online all the time to be rally effective. Imagine that raid coming at 4 a.m. Your time. How will you ever get enough sleep or anything else done?
I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

You have to be online all the time to be rally effective. Imagine that raid coming at 4 a.m. Your time. How will you ever get enough sleep or anything else done?

You would have default orders for each base, air group, TF, etc. The processing power of our computers today allows that.

We need to advance beyond the stage in our hobby of tolerating another incarnation of Panzer General for excitement.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The strength of WITP-AE is in the game engine's calculations that determine contact and combat outcomes. It does not have any programming that would make 3D animations possible and if I understand the professional programmers, the engine cannot be so modified.

You are talking a whole new game here, and that subject has been beaten to death. Until someone comes forward with the money to pay for a design and programming project of at least three years plus all the legal copywrite issues, it ain't gonna happen. There is a thread in the Tech section (stickied, I think) in which players were invited to submit their wishes for game improvements. The response was so overwhelming (and beyond the programmer's ability to address) that nothing further happened. Around that time our moderator informed us that the developers who had kindly been donating time to tweak the game were no longer able to do so.

Players can make scenarios in the editor and make a few simple tweaks like map changes (if they have the skills), but the game engine is copywrited so player re-programming will never approach making the game a real-time tactical game.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

You would have default orders for each base, air group, TF, etc. The processing power of our computers today allows that.

We need to advance beyond the stage in our hobby of tolerating another incarnation of Panzer General for excitement.

We do?

To the original post, that's an entirely different game. It is not WITP, and is more akin to a game that is an arcade/simulation crossbreed.

Strategy games are turn-based for a reason.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The strength of WITP-AE is in the game engine's calculations that determine contact and combat outcomes. It does not have any programming that would make 3D animations possible and if I understand the professional programmers, the engine cannot be so modified.

You are talking a whole new game here, and that subject has been beaten to death. Until someone comes forward with the money to pay for a design and programming project of at least three years plus all the legal copywrite issues, it ain't gonna happen. There is a thread in the Tech section (stickied, I think) in which players were invited to submit their wishes for game improvements. The response was so overwhelming (and beyond the programmer's ability to address) that nothing further happened. Around that time our moderator informed us that the developers who had kindly been donating time to tweak the game were no longer able to do so.

Players can make scenarios in the editor and make a few simple tweaks like map changes (if they have the skills), but the game engine is copywrited so player re-programming will never approach making the game a real-time tactical game.

We're just dreaming. I don't see a problem with people giving their thoughts on what they would like. I didn't it would be so distressful.
durnedwolf

Post by durnedwolf »

There used to be a game - Great Naval Battles by SSI. You could take control of an individual ship and be in charge of navigation, gunnery, and damage control. I loved that game. If you could do that - pick a battle and control just one ship or airplane or tank of your choice per turn... That'd be soooo cool.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”