Equipment Editor question

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
mussey

Equipment Editor question

Post by mussey »

Can anyone point me to where I can get an explanation of what these equipment attributes mean? I've started to tinker around with this, but am pretty ignorant about much of this. Number 56 Standoff weapon is my first question, but any place that has a more detailed explanation of what these do would be very helpful. Thanks!

Attachments
Screenshot50.jpg
Screenshot50.jpg (251.02 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Curtis Lemay

RE: Equipment Editor question

Post by Curtis Lemay »

8.4.1 in the manual.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
mussey

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

8.4.1 in the manual.

Thanks Curtis, I had a devil of a time refinding this info.

In regard to Stand-off weapons, what does it actually do in game terms? Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't all ranged missiles be considered stand-off? The reason I ask is that I'm tweaking some FFG's missile frigates that already have working Exocet missiles at a good range (at least offensively), but I did not check off for stand-off. I'm wondering what this attribute would do.

Thanks for a timely response.
Col. Mussbu

cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

ORIGINAL: mussey

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

8.4.1 in the manual.

Thanks Curtis, I had a devil of a time refinding this info.

In regard to Stand-off weapons, what does it actually do in game terms? Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't all ranged missiles be considered stand-off? The reason I ask is that I'm tweaking some FFG's missile frigates that already have working Exocet missiles at a good range (at least offensively), but I did not check off for stand-off. I'm wondering what this attribute would do.

Thanks for a timely response.

My guess is that this is for aircraft to model the use of air-to-surface missiles that launch at a distance from their targets. This would be a good topic for lab testing. Standard aerial bombardment in TOAW, judging from notes in the TOAW log file, appears to be handled like an artillery strike except that the attacking aircraft are subject to AA fire from the bombarded unit (whether nearby SAM units fire as well, I don't know). But 'stand-off' may reduce the amount of AA fire to which the attacking air unit is subjected.

If you test this with ships in TNW scenario, please advise of your findings. Thanks!

Cheers
josant

Post by josant »

Stand-off weapons are missiles or bombs which may be launched at a distance sufficient to allow the attacker to evade defensive fire from the target, in game terms this only applies for aircrafts.
JA
mussey

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: josant

Stand-off weapons are missiles or bombs which may be launched at a distance sufficient to allow the attacker to evade defensive fire from the target, in game terms this only applies for aircrafts.

Excellent, but in game turns do you know what it actually does, how does it affect combat?

Thanks for the reply, I know you have done quite a bit of work on the Equipments for various types of units.
Col. Mussbu

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

This discussion is intriging and I'm learning a lot. Toward the end of the Vietnam war they started using lazer-guided bombs that had rudimentary fins that could guide the bomb and it could "fly" for an astonishing distance when dropped from high altitude. It was great for getting into the mouth of caves the first time.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”