Slow LCU movement question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Gewehr_43

Slow LCU movement question

Post by Gewehr_43 »

Hi, all. Can anyone tell me why these guys are only move 1 movement point per turn? At this rate it's going to take them a month and a half to move one hex. The rate is the same for "combat" or "move" operational order and seems to be happening regardless of what hex I set as their destination. They have plenty of supplies and support. I'm really baffled as I've seen units slog thru the jungles of New Guinea faster than this.

What nuance of this game am I missing after all these years? :)

Attachments
GO0LkCK.jpg
GO0LkCK.jpg (103.47 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Lokasenna

RE: Slow LCU movement question

Post by Lokasenna »

Are they getting reset to Combat, out of Move, due to combat actions?
Gewehr_43

Post by Gewehr_43 »

Nope. No combat actions at all. The Davao hex is clear of enemy units and has been for a few weeks. Not even any air attacks. Is the fatigue too high?
Gewehr_43

Post by Gewehr_43 »

Eureka! Another unit was set to follow them and (presumably because they are a heavy artillery unit) they move very slowly. Canceled the follow command and the unit is moving like lightning!
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Artillery should not be snails either. Given it is a dirt road and both units are in the same hex, artillery should catch up to the pictured ID (march 13 miles) in max 2 turns.
Now, when someone else is following that arty unit the situation can become complicated [:D]
Gewehr_43

Post by Gewehr_43 »

Yeah, this actually isn't quite as cut and dried as I thought it was when I posted yesterday. I'm not sure if it's a bug, but it certainly looks to be. When I used the "set all to march" command (thus telling each unit to travel independently at normal speed), every unit made it to the next hex in a couple days. I subsequently had the 41st ID (pictured above) return to Davao after mopping up Japanese resistance and used the "set all to follow" when it was just the 41st and one other INF unit on the hex. Again, it was 1 movement point per turn. In any of these cases, the "lead" unit was always the 41st ID and no other units were set to follow other units. So, everyone should have just been following the 41st ID's lead. It appears to be a problem with the "set all to follow" command. While problematic, it's not a game breaker I guess.

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

What season is it?..Does the dirt road turn to mush in the rain? The direction of movement indicates an enemy IS present which may slow the advance. What is the density of the terrain off that single lane dirt road?
While the fatigue is only 25%, it might even be a malaria zone?

You have a good leader and loads of supply so I suspect what I mentioned, season and terrain.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

What season is it?..Does the dirt road turn to mush in the rain? The direction of movement indicates an enemy IS present which may slow the advance. What is the density of the terrain off that single lane dirt road?
While the fatigue is only 25%, it might even be a malaria zone?

You have a good leader and loads of supply so I suspect what I mentioned, season and terrain.

Unless he is playing an RHS scenario movement rates on roads aren't subject to seasonal variations.

Infantry movement on a secondary road is 15 miles be day in move mode. Moderately high fatigue will reduce that to 12-14 miles per day.

An infantry unit will make that move in 4 days even if fatigued.

None of the possible effects you mention would slow a unit to 1 mile per day.

Something seems bugged.

I have used the "follow" command hundreds of times over tens of games and have never seen this.

Follow is best used when river crossing where a shock attack will be mandated to ensure everyone crosses together.

Outside of that use, I prefer the "all march" command for getting everyone in a hex moving to the same target.
Hans

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I have used the "follow" command hundreds of times over tens of games and have never seen this.

+1
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Gewehr_43

Eureka! Another unit was set to follow them and (presumably because they are a heavy artillery unit) they move very slowly. Canceled the follow command and the unit is moving like lightning!

Yeah, that will do it.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

+1

Slower units following faster units can slow the faster units down. It doesn't always work that way, but sometimes it does. Maybe it's a bug, maybe not. I forget what the intentions were.

Long ago, I simply adjusted my practice to picking the slowest unit and having everything else follow that. That way, there was no confusion and no possibility of premature hex-shifting by vulnerable units.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Slower units following faster units can slow the faster units down. It doesn't always work that way, but sometimes it does. Maybe it's a bug, maybe not. I forget what the intentions were.

Long ago, I simply adjusted my practice to picking the slowest unit and having everything else follow that. That way, there was no confusion and no possibility of premature hex-shifting by vulnerable units.

One of the main reasons I use the follow. I don't want an armored reg walking into 4 or 5 divisions by itself.[:D]

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

What kind of rations have you been feeding the poor grunts?
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Whatever 'Cookie' burns.[:D]

Dante Fierro

Post by Dante Fierro »

Tee hee [:D]
Gewehr_43

Post by Gewehr_43 »

This is the bone stock Grand Campaign scenario w/o historical start. It is July, 1943. I'm still not sure what the deal is with these guys. :/
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

My guess - it is some residue data. Either it tries to follow itself, or movement is not direct, it tries to move through the mountains on West.

Just cancel whole move, and give it new orders.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I had something similar. Took Lunga, took two weeks to follow the remnants to Tassafaronga. Even after the Imperial forces were eliminated I was moving at 3 (US Infantry Division, Seabees, etc.) between Tassafaronga and Lunga. Two weeks per hex. That struck me as wrong. Fatigue wasn't high. Well supplied and sufficient support.
Bill Goin
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

I had something similar. Took Lunga, took two weeks to follow the remnants to Tassafaronga. Even after the Imperial forces were eliminated I was moving at 3 (US Infantry Division, Seabees, etc.) between Tassafaronga and Lunga. Two weeks per hex. That struck me as wrong. Fatigue wasn't high. Well supplied and sufficient support.

3 miles per day is actually the correct movement rate for infantry through Jungle/Rough terrain.

The hexes are HUGE. If you're not using roads cross country movement is interminably slow.

Two weeks is exactly what I plan for when striking out across jungle/rough or wooded/rough with no roads.

Familiarizing oneself with the movement rate chart in the manual helps dispell missperceptions.

In the OP's case he was using a secondary road which should allow a rate of 15 miles per day.

I took a look last night at a huge Russian stack (a full army) that just started moving forward down a secondary road after taking a base. I only rested one day before setting out and fatigue varied widely. Infantry movements rates varied from 15 all the way down to only 8 miles for one division that had 39 fatigues.

Fatigue would have to be astronomical to reduce movement to 1 mile on a secondary road.
Hans

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I cut to the end rather than read all replies. Given the direction NE the unit is not using the road. You might get there faster by turning around.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”