Question Re Starter Plane

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

IBender

Question Re Starter Plane

Post by IBender »

I dont have a screen shot, however, I suspect everyone will know what I am talking about. America begins with a couple planes that are really old. Ie I think the B 18 Bolo is one of them. I am curious why I cannot at any point in the game remove them and recover the pilot? Seems odd as the game moves along I can build new planes and then also remove them recovering the pilot for use in better planes, but these odd starter planes are there forever and...I have never found a use for them.

Thanks
Orm

RE: Question Re Starter Plane

Post by Orm »

I understand your concern, however, I have never had that issue. I almost always remove them. Sometimes during setup.

Are the aircraft in question in a city in USA?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
composer99

Post by composer99 »

You can send them to the reserve pool during setup, and as long as they are based in a city hex, you can remove them from the map after placing reinforcements... is there something preventing you from doing that?
~ Composer99
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Also, if they're in a city in your home country (i.e, USA city), then you can move them to the reserve pool during the remove aircraft phase which is just after the reinforcement phase between turns. The pilot of any removed planes will be available next turn's reinforcement phase.

It's standard practice for me to remove most, if not all, of the USA land base aircraft during the Nov/Dec 1939 "remove aircraft phase".
Ronnie
IBender

Post by IBender »

I appreciate the information. I think I need to try it again. I can certainly say that the plane is never in a city, I put it in an open field out of the way and that may be the issue. I will try this again. Its good to know I can get rid of it.

Thanks guys
jboldt007

Post by jboldt007 »

Get rid of those Bolos! As noted above if they are in a US city you can send them to reserve. Don’t be tempted to send them oversees. Once allied US should probably send Mexican and Brazilian planes into reserve too.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: jboldt007

Get rid of those Bolos! As noted above if they are in a US city you can send them to reserve. Don’t be tempted to send them oversees. Once allied US should probably send Mexican and Brazilian planes into reserve too.
Actually, the Brazilian plane is pretty good. Four factor ground strike. The US can use all of those it can get.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

ORIGINAL: jboldt007

Actually, the Brazilian plane is pretty good. Four factor ground strike. The US can use all of those it can get.

I don't think the Bolo's are a dead loss either. The extended range of 14 and a 1 point NAV attack factor makes them a reasonable ASW patrol. One of them has 2 TAC factors, which isn't bad for the at start Allies.

Return to “WIF School”