Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RangerJoe

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

Post by RangerJoe »

8.11 SQUAD UPGRADES
When Type 23 and 24 devices (squad and combat engineer squads) are upgraded from the
pool, the squads of the previous type that are returned to the pool are automatically upgraded
to the current type and placed into the pool. E.g. the trained manpower is retained and re
armed to the latest standard.

From the WITP-Manual-[LIGHT].pdf but who knows if changes have been made.
16.4.1 GROUND UNIT WEAPON UPGRADES
Ground units may have their individual weapons elements (i.e. infantry squads, artillery, etc.)
upgraded to newer elements as they become available if they are available in the replacement
pool or can be produced by the Japanese production system. An example of this is an Allied
unit with a 37mm AT gun will attempt to upgrade it to a 57mm AT gun when there are enough
in the replacement pool. Another example is the basic USA Rifle Squad will upgrade beginning
in July 1942 (gaining some additional firepower). In fact, the USA Rifle Squad will upgrade two
additional times during the war.

As with replacements, the unit must have access to a nearby base with supplies in order to
receive an upgrade. When upgrades are performed, they remove all of the elements of a single
weapon’s element (i.e. all 37mm AT guns or all USA Rifle Squads) in a ground unit, placing
these back in the replacement pool (both disabled and ready squads). An equal number of new
elements are placed in the unit in the same condition as the elements removed (i.e. 6 ready
and 4 disabled 37mm AT guns will be replaced with 6 ready and 4 disabled 57mm AT guns,
while 10 37mm AT guns will be added to the replacement pool).

When production is turned On for the Japanese player, any infantry and/or engineer squads
that are upgraded will not be returned to the pool. Instead a number of points equal to the load
costs of the units replaced will be added to the manpower pool.

Upgrades occur automatically and cannot be stopped from happening as long as sufficient new
items are in the pool and the unit has access to sufficient supplies.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

erstad

Post by erstad »

From the WITP-Manual-[LIGHT].pdf but who knows if changes have been made.

IIRC (Never certain...) michaelm changed this behavior in one of the patches as he thought it was buggy but changed it back after folks pointed out it was a specific design intent. I have a vague recollection of tracking down some AndyMac post that described how this worked to support the WAD argument.

My experience is it works as described for squads.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I always assumed there was no actual supply expenditure during the upgrade process (and RangerJoe's helpful excerpts don't mention supply costs). You might try an Indian brigade and see if there's any noticeable drop in the supply level. If I recall correctly, in stock there's a pretty big jump in stats from '41 to '42 for Indian infantry.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I did not see any reference to supply costs but lacking any other information, I would presume that the cost for updating a device might be the cost of the device. That is, if you upgrade a 2 pounder AT gun to a 6 pounder, then the cost is for a 6 pounder but I did not see anything in the manual.

― Julia Child

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I think there is a supply coast to upgrade devices, but I'm the guy who thinks cold zone goes into effect on December 1 and that subs can withdraw at Pearl Harbor.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

6/2/42 to 6/6/42

No obvious changes on the map. The MLR in China remains static, the Allies are being pushed out/withdrawing from Burma, Dave is putting together his assault on Singapore, and the friendly portions of the Pacific are quite.

Singapore: Imperial Guards Division took Port Blair a few weeks ago. SigInt then revealed that it was prepping for Singers. Now it's located at Georgetown. Probably Dave won't launch his next attack until he's satisfied with prep and with the force on hand.

Supply at Singers, currently 106k, is dropping slowly. The bucket brigade (subs carrying supply) is helping, though at a cost. Today some DDs sank a USN sub. The cost is worth it. :)

Attachments
060642Singers.jpg
060642Singers.jpg (327.24 KiB) Viewed 183 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I am pretty sure there is a supply cost to have squads upgrade and that is why it is hard to get the Chinese go upgrade.
Logically, there should be a supply cost since you are upgrading the equipment.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

6/6/42

The Long March: Is this actually going to work?

Attachments
060642T..ngMarch.jpg
060642T..ngMarch.jpg (615.85 KiB) Viewed 184 times
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

The theme song of the 6th Australian division is now "Over the hills and through the woods . . . " [8|]

If you get the units to Chinese bases, fly out the infantry and have the vehicles drive through the jungle.

― Julia Child

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

That's a good idea.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I am pretty sure there is a supply cost to have squads upgrade and that is why it is hard to get the Chinese go upgrade.

In an effort to make things more confusing . . . I don't remember a supply cost to squad upgrades. Would assume that BB knows more than me.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

In an effort to make things more confusing . . . I don't remember a supply cost to squad upgrades. Would assume that BB knows more than me.

I forget if it actually consumes supplies, but you must have more than 2x supply at the base (IIRC) in order for the upgrades to happen.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

The manual says upgrades work like replacements for ground units and replacements require 2x as Lok states.

"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I can't tell from that if supplies are expended in the upgrade process or if they instead need only be present in the threshold amount to qualify the upgrade, but that the upgrade is then made without drawing down on supply.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

6/6/42 to 6/11/42

The two most significant developments:

Wenchow: One of the two Japanese divisions late at Clark Field and Bataan shows up today - making an amphibious landing at Wenchow. The unit suffers fairly serious disablements. Why invade? Why not land at Shanghai or vicinity and trek this way overland? Dave might have wanted to see if triggering an auto bombardment was effective. It turned out not to be.

DEI: BB Kongo and friends sighted just east of Lautem. SigInt reports a unit inbound to Darwin. A few Allied subs will close in. I withdrew most of the Aussie troops a month ago due to serious supply issues.

Attachments
061142Wenchow.jpg
061142Wenchow.jpg (465.05 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I can't tell from that if supplies are expended in the upgrade process or if they instead need only be present in the threshold amount to qualify the upgrade, but that the upgrade is then made without drawing down on supply.

As I recall, the supplies need to be present, but are not expended. So, since I said that, it won't be true [8D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Man, I know that feeling!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

At Wenchow, perhaps Dave's amphibious assault is to trigger the autobombardment so that it'll eat into Allied supply levels.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

At Wenchow, perhaps Dave's amphibious assault is to trigger the autobombardment so that it'll eat into Allied supply levels.

I wouldn't bet on that being the reason, unless he is unaware that the base generates its own supply.

My take on his reason is speed. The quickest way to attack it with troops redeploying from the PI is to take them straight to the target.
Hans

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

6/12/15 to 6/14/15

Confirmation today that a fourth enemy AO sank near Midway around December 11, 1942.

That little op worked perfectly but didn't work perfectly! Lex was badly damaged (by sub torpedo) near Wake, so I ordered her to make straight for KB, which I hoped would be sprinting north. And it worked! The two passed in the night unobserved and Lex continued south. At that time, Ent slipped around from the north, found and engaged KB's replenishment TF, and sank for of the big buggers. Yet, somehow, Dave still managed enough fuel to send KB on high speed runs. Then he split KB, with one half making further high speed runs. He went the wrong way...but at the very last instant, suddenly steered them right. He finished of Lex way down near Pago Pago after an epic pursuit that lasted ten days.

Alot of good things came of that affair, but I think I'd still take it all back if I could have Lex back. Losing her at the end was pure agony.

Return to “After Action Reports”