Malta Invasion

Moderator: Hubert Cater

dwesolick

Malta Invasion

Post by dwesolick »

Really enjoying this game but I am stumped as to how to invade Malta (as Axis). I've bombarded from air and sea, weakening the Brit unit there, and I have a German corps in an amphib transport adjacent (supply 9) but when I right click on the transport the dropdown menu has unload grayed out. Read the section in the manual several times but am stumped as to what I'm doing wrong.
Or is it not possible to invade Malta this way? I also have an airborne unit prepped and ready (very close by) but the game won't let me drop it on Malta. I'm sure I'm just missing something very basic here but any suggestions would be most welcome!
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
Numdydar

RE: Malta Invasion

Post by Numdydar »

For you to land on any hex in an invasion, the hex has to be vacant. The Amph can attack a hex before it unloads. So if the Amph attack kills off the defender completely, then the transported unit can land.

The best way to capture Malta is to place a German HQ with as many bombers as you can spare and bomb the unit until its dead. Then drop a para in.

This also entails attacking the ports and keeping two naval units next to them so they limit the ability for the unit at Malta to rebuild.

If you use this method, Malta can fall pretty easily.

However, it does require quite a commitment of German air forces. which may (or may not) impact other fronts these planes may be needed at. Which is why the Germans in RL decided against taking it over.
ThunderLizard11

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

I don't think it's worth it. As Numdydar said - you need to commit a ton of airpower - also need to blockade so the AA unit can't keep reinforcing.
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

Ah, ok. Since I've made such an investment in taking the bloody place, I guess I'll keep hammering at it with air/naval power.

thanks for the quick responses![:)]
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

If you're bored, plant Heavy Artillery on Sicily, and get 1 to 3 free pops per turn.
You don't have to suffer from EJRDS
EarlyDoors

Post by EarlyDoors »

In PBEM I lost Malta to overwhelming tactical and medium air power followed by airborne drop

[:(]
21-21 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.com/
Xsillione

Post by Xsillione »

You need most of the Axis airforce for this. The best time is after or even during the France invasion with the DAK airforce pops there right on time. And you also need some help from the RNG, since two or three clear turn needed. You can boost your chance with an artillery or some ships, but that can be costly if the UK fleet is till strong. Or if you really want it and the sea is clear from UK ships, send in some AV units for attacking from sea, 1-2 from Germany and 1-2 from Italy if your want to invest that much. While it cost lot, will make your life much easier during the north Africa Campaign and your airforce can do little if you skip Sealion anyway.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

But taking Alexandria also solves the Malta problem [:)]
Yogol

Post by Yogol »

ORIGINAL: Xsillione

You need most of the Axis airforce for this. The best time is after or even during the France invasion with the DAK airforce pops there right on time. And you also need some help from the RNG, since two or three clear turn needed. You can boost your chance with an artillery or some ships, but that can be costly if the UK fleet is till strong. Or if you really want it and the sea is clear from UK ships, send in some AV units for attacking from sea, 1-2 from Germany and 1-2 from Italy if your want to invest that much. While it cost lot, will make your life much easier during the north Africa Campaign and your airforce can do little if you skip Sealion anyway.

Indeed, this is how I do it too, for the same reason: there is nothing else to do for your airforce anyway.

Some extra help...

- buy an extra tactical bomber
- research Ground attack weapons from day 1, it will help a lot throughout the game (and also with Malta). If you put 2 shits in it, you can have an extra bonus point before you hit Malta
- bomb with your one medium bomber before you use the (upgraded) tactical bombers, because the medium bomber has a devastating effect on the enemy's morale so it won't harm your tactical bombers alot.
- don't forget to have a HQ to command the bombers (throughout the game: having less units in command is better than having more units without command, because the huge bonus in readiness)
wargameplayer

Post by wargameplayer »

Novice player here. So it takes a lot of air force to take Malta. If you do a Sealion- you are going to need that airforce. So to me it seems like a smarter strategy to bombard the island to keep it from disrupting supply- then focusing on taking Egypt. But to move the entire German AF down there takes up a ton of time /turns while needed either to finish off England or prepare for Soviet Invasion
Marcinos1985

Post by Marcinos1985 »

Usually you go for UK or Egypt, there's no time and resources for two. But from these options, taking Malta is easier by far, though still costly. Sealion is generally possible only against unprepared opponent.
ThunderLizard11

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

ORIGINAL: Marcinos1985

Usually you go for UK or Egypt, there's no time and resources for two. But from these options, taking Malta is easier by far, though still costly. Sealion is generally possible only against unprepared opponent.

The only time I had an MP opponent try Sealion they quit after getting bogged down in Southern England. Sealion also advances US and Soviet mobilization if I recall especially if Axis takes out London.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”