Help for a Newbie

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Gerry4321

Help for a Newbie

Post by Gerry4321 »

Need some help please as I usually play tactical games. This is from Case Blue but that forum looks dead.

As you can see in the graphic, I have a mixture of infantry, trucks, and artillery. These are on the front line, adjacent to the enemy.
How do you use a stack like this? Do you fire the artillery and, if possible later, attack with just the troops. Leaving the trucks with the guns? Then the infantry are not motorized any more.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments
Blue.jpg
Blue.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Oberst_Klink

RE: Help for a Newbie

Post by Oberst_Klink »

OK, 1st question... you just got the game or just re-starting to play it? Not that it matters, but is it Case Blue or Barbarossa? As for your question, depends on the situation. Could you post a screenshot? If you want play a smaller scenario to get familiar with the nuts and bolts of the DC series, I recommend to install (for free) the DC:Community Projekt game. There's a small but interesting scenario. Here's the link. And also check out some walkthrough videos on YT.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Thanks very much for your answers. I just got my first DC game - Case Blue and have just been testing it a bit. I did now see in the manual a combat walkthrough from barthheart and that is very helpful. I have made attempts with operational games before (Tiller's Panzer Campaigns) but I find them hard to relate to vs the tactical squad-level games. Also the latter has very small to small scenarios, which I like. In Case Blue the scenarios can be huge. I guess if I knew more of the detailed military history it would help.
My question above in general was about separating components that start in the same hex. I imagine you want to leave the 400 troops with the Guns for protection as they move forward with the attack?
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Gerry4321

Thanks very much for your answers. I just got my first DC game - Case Blue and have just been testing it a bit. I did now see in the manual a combat walkthrough from barthheart and that is very helpful. I have made attempts with operational games before (Tiller's Panzer Campaigns) but I find them hard to relate to vs the tactical squad-level games. Also the latter has very small to small scenarios, which I like. In Case Blue the scenarios can be huge. I guess if I knew more of the detailed military history it would help.
My question above in general was about separating components that start in the same hex. I imagine you want to leave the 400 troops with the Guns for protection as they move forward with the attack?
It really depends on the situation, Gerry. Did you check out the smaller scenarios of DC:Blue yet and what about the DC:Community Project?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Hi:
Yes I have installed the project and will be looking at the Volkov scenario. Very busy now but I will try and look at it and also the manual. Hopefully I will have some good questions then.
Thanks for your help.
Gerry
Saulust

Post by Saulust »

This was a little while ago Gerry, and while I only have DC Barbarossa so far, I've seen some play throughs on TY etc, and I just want to point out the that image you have posted above in OP, is an actual unit itself of primarily Artillery, not a 'stack'.

It is a unit made up of its constituent parts combined together of Infantry, Trucks and different pieces of Artillery, 4x 105mm & 1x 105mm and a bit of Flak, 1x each of 88mm & 20mm. This is a unit together, not a stack of different units. You can't separate these different components.

I'm not personally sure if the 2x Infantry represent a security element of some kind or are there to represent the gunners themselves with their own self-protecting rifles or whatever, but yeah Gerry your initial inclination that they are present for protecting the guns is right, I'd say.

Hopefully you figure it out or have figured it all out by now, cheers.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”