How to use Helos as NATO?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

rgeiger

How to use Helos as NATO?

Post by rgeiger »

I am trying to figure out how to properly use my helicopters when playing as NATO. It seems that I have no idea - I have been trained in the Swiss army, so I only understand how to set up proper delaying and defensive actions and have no idea how to use helicopeters offensively (btw, the tactics I learned in the real world seem to work rather well here - that's why I love this simulation).

I have played through most small and medium scenarios as NATO so far and have to admit that I generally used my Kiowas as more or less expendable recon units (they find some interesting targets, which I have my artillery shoot at and then the Kiowas get shot down...). I usually sent in the attack helos to mop up after my armour and artillery have decimated Pact air defenses.

Now I am trying the Reforged scenario "A few good Choppers" and I have no idea what to do. I can set my helos to move deliberately with the second waypoint being in a position where they can shoot and the third again in cover. The problem is that they fly their path, never shoot and stay alive in cover. The second option is to have their final waypoint in a position where they can open fire at Pact forces. They shoot (usually ineffectively) and inevitably get decimated by Soviet AD.

So, after all these words: How should I use my helicopters effectively? Which paths and commands are useful?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Typo.
EDIT 2: More typos...

MikeJ19

RE: How to use Helos as NATO?

Post by MikeJ19 »

Good day,

Take a look at my AAR about the battle - it is not perfect as I had lots of trouble with the helos, but it will give you an idea of how I approached the same question.

Mike
Mike

Retired Gunner
rgeiger

Post by rgeiger »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input! Your AARs are very impressive. I particularly like your AAR on EET which also contained quite a few thoughts on helos (I couldn't find your AAR for the other battle, my search skills are not up to par...). I am still toying around with "A few good Choppers" to achieve more than an indecisive result.

Reto

P.S.: do you also happen to be a former artilleryman? I've started as a gunner (loader/rammer on a 105mm towed Hb 46/91), later commanded an M109 and finally had 6 M109 KAWEST as a platoon commander in the Swiss Army)
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Helo's are a trying aspect on the battlefield.

You only have to look at Russian and American Rotary Wing losses in Afghanistan and Vietman. The Flashpoint battlefield is much more deadly.

I try to weed out and kill Air Defense units, often using a scout Helo as bait. Then targeting artillery. You can always assign artillery direct support to the scouting Helos.

In some scenarios Harbouring the Helo's in a safe area until there is an enemy concentration to unleash them upon is another tactic I sometimes use.

When attacking I do so at the furthest stand off distance possible. If that is close to a valley or river bed all the better to hide after attacking.

Have fun and I hope my hints help.
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

rgeiger,

Thanks for the kind words. I have enjoyed doing them.

Yes, I was in the Artillery for 27 years. I started as a Gunner on the 105 and, much later, commanded a M109 Battery for 2 years. It was a great time! I miss it some days, but not when it is freezing out...

Keep playing with "A few good choppers". It is the best way to learn. To find my AAR on it, you will have to open the display topics to all - rather then the 365 limit.

All the best,

Mike
Mike

Retired Gunner
rgeiger

Post by rgeiger »

Thank you both for your hints! My helos still get slaughtered but at least a lot slower than before - I think I've learned a bit.

Mike, thank you also for the AAR, it was once again very thoughtfully done. And thank you for the hint with the 365 days limit. I've never even noticed that...

Reto

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”