Force Editor

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
Rand6897

Force Editor

Post by Rand6897 »

I was working in the force editor for an existing scenario, essentially breaking apart huge one unit navies into smaller task forces. I had no problem with the Axis: copied the unit(s), renamed it (them), and then modified composition of the units. I got to the allies and couldn't do a darn thing. Naval, ground unit, air unit...didn't matter. When I put mouse over control button got a message: "Unit control panel. Not allowed due to divided unit in OOB." I couldn't copy, delete, anything. Any thoughts?
larryfulkerson

RE: Force Editor

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Rand6897

I was working in the force editor for an existing scenario, essentially breaking apart huge one unit navies into smaller task forces. I had no problem with the Axis: copied the unit(s), renamed it (them), and then modified composition of the units. I got to the allies and couldn't do a darn thing. Naval, ground unit, air unit...didn't matter. When I put mouse over control button got a message: "Unit control panel. Not allowed due to divided unit in OOB." I couldn't copy, delete, anything. Any thoughts?
Maybe you could combine the pieces of the unit back together, make your modification(s) and then split the unit again. Just a thought.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

In TOAWIII the divided units were put at the end of the OOB. It's probably the same for TOAWIV. Look there to discover which one is divided.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

As always, thanks for all the help provided on this site. For someone like myself who lacks computer expertise no solution is inherent. As I mentioned some place else, I have had TOAW for a year and just getting into it, I am really amazed at the capabilities. Can't wait to actually play.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I bought WITP-AE's hard cover version and it sat on the corner of my office desk for about 8 months
before I worked up enough courage to actually install it and play it. I don't actually know why I
thought it was so complicated. Maybe it's because there's close to 2,000 units per side that need
to be managed. Ships, planes, LCU's, more ships, and there's logistics to manage, the Jap economy
needs to be managed, and you have to balance the number of aircraft engines for each appropriate
airframe. About a dozen different engine models and close to 30 different airframe models. Fortunately,
TOAW isn't nearly so complex. It's got the right balance of detail, realism, playability, and it's
possible to modify the scenarios to perfect them. Some people get more fun designing scenarios and
don't play all that much. I started writing a scenario about North Vietnam and about how the US could
have invaded NVN and of course the Chinese and Russians are watching all this going down and they have
a possibility of interviening in he conflict. But I started building the map using the editor and got
discouraged and quit. The editor is just too hard to use to be judged state of the art. It's better
now that we have TOAW IV, a new and better version. I still like to play more than design scenarios.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."

Return to “The War Room”