1941 Rostov

Robert24

1941 Rostov

Post by Robert24 »

Hi All,
Starting on 1941 Rostov today. German attack, Soviet counter-attack; seems like there are some cool possibilities. I’ve done initial research and this mod will be a division level scenario.
I am looking for input and thoughts - enjoy the weekend.
-Robert
ivanov

RE: 1941 Rostov

Post by ivanov »

Sounds good but wouldn't it be better to make it as a WaW mod? The scale there suits better the divisional scale. Also, the battle took place in November-December, so in SC it would be like one turn with bad weather. Or are you able to make a completely new map and change the tur duration?
Lest we forget.
Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

It will be a WaW mod, with a new map; right now the size is 36x30.
I will include weather. I was thinking of making the map just one weather zone.
Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

The area the new map will cover is similar to this...

ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Excellent, I'm following this.
Lest we forget.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Operational size scenarios are a forte' of SC. There were many great ones in the previous releases of SC especially the Pacific version.

I once did a remake of SPI's PanzerArmee Afrika with unit movement allowances in the 40s and 50s, but a Med version would be much better and something I don't believe anyone else has ever tried with any computer wargame.
SeaMonkey
Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

Yes James, I remember your PanzerArmee Afrika! I did enjoy it.

I hope there are others that have ideas for operational size mods and will take time to make one or two.
Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

Hi All,

I've made some good progress this weekend.

Here is a teaser.

The time is October 1, 1941

German Army Group South Situation and Strategy.
Since June the Germans had inflicted a grievous wound on the Soviet forces in southern Russia, but it had come at a price. The seemingly endless steppe, sandy roads, and dust-filled air had taken their toll on German men and machines. Engines were worn out, supply lines were long, and casualties had cut the strength of divisions. Replacements of both men and machines were slow in coming, and most of the panzer and motorized divisions could only field a half or less of their combat vehicles at a time. Nevertheless, Hitler insisted that Barbarossa move forward. Rostov is the next objective. A single thrust with all mobile units toward Rostov is the one way the city can be taken quickly. However, the flanks along the advance will be vulnerable till infantry can secure them.

Southwest Army Theater Situation and Strategy.
The Soviet forward defenses are woefully inadequate. The proceeding weeks since the German invasion had seen the great battles of encirclement at Kiev, Minsk, Uman, Smolensk, and other pockets had yielded hundreds of thousands of Russian prisoners. But, the Soviets are raising more formations and sending them to the front as quickly as possible. These include new T-34 and KV-1 tanks, better than anything the German can put in the field. German units have moved into bridgeheads at Zaporozhe and Dnepropetrovsk in preparation for another assault. Their objective is Rostov. If the path to Rostov can be made difficult for the Germans, new Soviet units will shortly be in a position to launch a counter-attack.

Robert24

Post by Robert24 »

Good afternoon,
Here are the XIV and LIV Panzer Corps in their assembly areas.

Attachments
PanzerCorpsAssembly.jpg
PanzerCorpsAssembly.jpg (134 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”