Empire expansion elections era mid 42?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

specie1

Empire expansion elections era mid 42?

Post by specie1 »

You guys are always so helpful, i thought i would throw out a question. I'm in a PBEM with a great opponent and we're knocking down turns left and right. It's already mid april'42 and i have got some things done so far, PHilipines,Borneo,Celebes,Java, N. Australia, Rangoon, most of the chinese rail line, Rabaul, Noumea, Suva and all the islands in between and around, aluetians just past adak. I would normally push towards New Zealand but i'm not sure that is a good idea. Any suggestions as to: Alaska?, Pearl Harbor?, push hard into the central pacific?, push harder into the south pacific?, eastern australia?, Ceylon?, push into india?, push harder into china? or should is sit back and build up my defense. I've only lost a CS, and a DD but i haven't sunk more than a few BBs,CAs, CLs, and DDs and we all know he gets a lot more. I'm not very good or experienced but i've been lucky so far. I want to play the whole game so i don't want to do something just for points. I don't even look at them.
pontiouspilot

RE: Empire expansion elections era mid 42?

Post by pontiouspilot »

Australia is just a big POW camp for Japan. Pearl can’t be taken against competent player after Ap 1’42. In my view the best investment is against the British. I’m of a view that Ceylon is a useful target. It’s a good way to lure the British fleet into action. British losses much harder to replace than American. Whatever you do don’t forget that after April 1st Japan loses its unloading bonus; this makes smaller targets much more difficult.

Cheers
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

Do you have all of Burma (Myitkyina, Ledo?)

If so, I would suggest you start building up a main defensive line.

Extending too far toward New Zealand will only create more isolated forces later. Start building bases and forts for the coming carrier battles in the Gilberts, Solomons, Aluetians.

Trade your current gains for time while shifting all the major LCUs you can spare (and buy out) into China. If you can knock out China in 1943, you will be in a strong position for the end game.

Good luck
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

When the amphibious bonus is over, land grabs are either large scale invasions aimed at Allies' asset destruction or lure-CVs-out operations.
1. Maybe try to knock on Pago-pago door. It would extend Allies route to Australia but more importantly has a chance to lure out US CVs for the KB to have a go.
2. Ceylon is nice (and relatively easy) grab of the repair yard away from the British fleet. Moreso if you plan to follow with Calcutta region invasion to try cut off his Burma forces and sit on that juicy industry for a year.
It also depends on how your opponent plays. Is there a chance for him to come meet you in force with his surface fleets? Then just about any important island is good. E.g. consider the historical route towards Midway [:D]

NZ is mostly useless, it does not have much industry, it will not block Australia as long as Perth is Allied, it spawns emergency reinforcements and it generally is too far away and not worth the fuel expenditure. PH is too hard at that point and does not have anything of value. Australia proper is a venture for experienced players IMO, it is harder compared to India.

One more point. It is too early to go passive and defence building. Japan has to put pressure on the Allies while they are weak and Japan is strong. Not so much to grab land at that point (you have everything you need already) but to push Allies into making mistakes, to make them come out with their ships, to try and encircle and destroy their land units, and generally try to earn some permanent victory points. This window will be closing as 42 ends
spence

Post by spence »

2. Ceylon is nice (and relatively easy) grab of the repair yard away from the British fleet. Moreso if you plan to follow with Calcutta region invasion to try cut off his Burma forces and sit on that juicy industry for a year.
It also depends on how your opponent plays. Is there a chance for him to come meet you in force with his surface fleets? Then just about any important island is good. E.g. consider the historical route towards Midway

This would seem to be a major problem in the supposed logistical nature of the game since the sea route from Tokyo to Calcutta is 5750 nautical miles whereas the sea route from Tokyo to Midway Island is 2213 nautical miles. Since it is generally agreed by historians that even if Midway had been captured the IJN could not supply it. Even the difficulty that England would have had replacing losses and supplying its forces in India it would seem that Japan would have had tremendous difficulty trying to supply any forces that invaded near Calcutta which is better than twice as far away as Midway (by sea). [A one way trip from Tokyo to Calcutta takes 24 days at 10 kts, 17+ days at 14 kts]

Just sayin
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: spence
This would seem to be a major problem in the supposed logistical nature of the game since the sea route from Tokyo to Calcutta is 5750 nautical miles whereas the sea route from Tokyo to Midway Island is 2213 nautical miles. Since it is generally agreed by historians that even if Midway had been captured the IJN could not supply it.
Well, in the game you can supply Calcutta from, ugh, Calcutta. Many non-realistic things going on in WITP. But the OPs question was not about how to best adhere to historical realism, right?
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

NZ is mostly useless, it does not have much industry, it will not block Australia as long as Perth is Allied, it spawns emergency reinforcements and it generally is too far away and not worth the fuel expenditure.

So take Perth as well...[:'(]...
jokes aside, if he plans for, could try to isolate Autralia, which means N Zealand as well, not easy, but lecit
specie1

Post by specie1 »

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'll take the appropriate action.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”