Global Domination V3: Battle Talk

Share your best tactics, strategies and gameplay tips with other gamers here.

Moderator: Vic

ArmouredLion

Global Domination V3: Battle Talk

Post by ArmouredLion »

I'd like to start a thread of 'battle talk' about Global Domination V3.

There are a bunch of new players around, and I'm still learning having only played for a year and a half or so... in fact, even the older players are learning since there's a new mod.

So I'd like to start with unit composition and opening turn strategy for nations (in general and specific). First, no design is 'the best' (at least as far as I can tell. Each style has its own assets and hinderance. But I will say that A design is key to having a good force... some discipline is better than none.

For me, a general rule of thumb is condensing units in Turn 1. This gives 'free' PP to use in technology. For Germany, France, Japan, and China. This easy PP is especially key as all these nations are in medias res of war or rapidly approaching it.

I can't speak on all the nations since I've only been Japan, China, Germany, and the Soviets.

As far Germany goes, I think Rifle II is key in the 1st round so you can use supplies before they spoil. Also, I have found Armoured Car II is fantastic. It gives you a great weapon that's better than any German tank and is great on fuel. Also, they will serve you for years to come.

I'll start here and see if this thread flies... any and all wisdom is appreciated... I really like to win :)
Twotribes

RE: Global Domination V3: Battle Talk

Post by Twotribes »

30 rifle, 3 GP Machine Gun, 3 Heavy Machine Gun, 2 Mortar III, 2 infantry guns II, 2 AT guns, 2 flak 20 mobilizer for artillery ( horses with up to ATIII) If you want a compact rifle Division. Change out the Infantry gun and AT Gun and Flak with motorized versions as they become available. Then you can afford to mobilize the Rifles too.

As for armor, my usual mix is 5 Armored cars, 5 tankettes, 5 light Tanks, 5 tanks, 1 SPAA, 2 TD as they become available. Sometimes I add 10 Rifle and mobilizer.

Artillery is 3 to 5 artillery pieces and mobilizer.

Air unit is 5 of a type.

I tended to wait till I have Austria and Czechoslovakia before I attack as Germany. this can happen as early as Nov 1938.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I tend to go for units that are about 40-45 infantry in size, with 4 MGs and 2-4 mortars, 2-3 gun types, and of course horses for the guns.

I try not to get over a certain size, cause if you do, you run negative effects when attacking and are overstacked.

As for artillery I do as twotribes does as well. Tanks are tough, they vary a lot from country to country, and their power points are very different from major to major. I do prefer however to split them up so that they all have the same movement type.

I used to do smaller 5 aircraft pr. counter of air. I find that I am now doing 6-8 and that seems to be better.

Just like Armoured Lion I compress the units some to start up, to free up PPs as well as get units that I think will hold up better against opposing units.

Also, when I think units are too small, later in the game, I merge them. This is especially true for units that I think will die anyway, usually that will be when they are surrounded. Also, disbanding the horses and other transport units will go a bit of a way, when it comes to nations that become starved on manpower.

Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

None of Germany's units are to small at start. Occasionally I disband 2 or 3 OKW linked Infantry divisions cause I need a couple PP. I always disband surrounded units that are to small to fight, I usually combine them all into one or two of the units at the hex and recover the PP. I almost always make the smaller Japanese formations into regular Infantry divisions with new and increased gear. China doesn't have enough divisions as is. I usually move 9th Army from Manchuko to main China and then later move 10th Army as well. With France I usually move the cargo trucks from the Atlantic Coast naval Headquarters to the Med Headquarters and send the cargo vessels to North Africa then disband the Headquarters. I send all the naval vessels to North Africa and combine the 4 fleets into 3.

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I work to get all of Germany's Axis allies into German control, the European units I make like I stated earlier but usually I use AT2 from Germany after they get AT3 with the European units. Then when I upgrade to ATIV for Germany I upgrade the European units to German AT3. Germany and her allies use Horses until I upgrade to AT IV. With Germany I turn all captured French production ( assuming I capture France) to trucks. If I am having trouble with France I use Warsaw and the other high production European cities to make trucks.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I build a road in India to Mandalay so the India Hqs can sent troops there to ship to China. I ship all British Gladiators and Harts from around the world to Rangoon then on to Mandalay to ship to China. I Industrialize all the large cities in India as soon as possible and buy the tech Occupation tech. This provides a LOT of production for Britain from India over time. These means you also have to pay for allied cooperation as well.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

As France I try my best to buy Occupation tech and industrialize all the African cities. It is hard to get done and depends on how aggressive the German player is as to whether you complete it or not. If France falls having a productive North Africa is good. This means you need Britain to reinforce Gibraltar and hold it against later war attacks if Spain falls. I also build one or 2 Supply centers in North Africa. That way if Main land France falls you can change their supply to North Africa instead of French High Command.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I learned a hard lesson with China. Do not retreat except in small specific spots. I generally abandon the river line and drop back to road between the two Japanese enclaves, BIG mistake I just helped Japan take more ground faster.
BvB

Post by BvB »

while heavy trucks are likely more efficient, the game starts with most having plenty of mediums. So for arty, 10 guns can be carried by 4 medium trucks making that my motorized arty unit. Horse I generally have 6-8 guns. Planes in groups of 8 to 10. Infantry usually a minor tweak to how they start, but, if you need to fight in swamp units don't move as well with horse so I'll have an infantry unit with no guns, just mortars, MG, etc to fight in that terrain - good for the crappy terrain in Russia. If city/fort fighting likely then plenty of SMG. If mountain then no SMG but more mortars/rifle. armor units perhaps 2 types of 4 each in it along with inf, support, transport.
I hadn't been on this forum for many years till recently and see lots to read/learn. Salute
Enlisted during Nixon, retired during Clinton then went postal - joined the USPS, then retired from that during Obama.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Just so everyone knows you can build a road from a high mountain to a non high mountain. So except in the Mountains around India in a few spots you can get through.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

I hope this isn't the wrong place but I love playing the Bombur mods in random games.
Would some one be kind enough to tell me how to advance technology. I see the dates
and when I open the date I get a little card with "3pp". How do I activate this?
thank you
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

This isn't the right place ;)

Never having played an actual game of Bombur Mod for Random games, I am going to go by what Bombur has told me, as best as I remember. He has talked about making research happen automatically. That is that you are given techs as the game progresses. I haven't a copy of Bombur Mod on my computer... so I can't really check it.

Bombur who would be sure to know about this, is on vacation at this time. You can still write him a PM, telling him you posted a question though :)

Hope this helps :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Thank you ernieschwitz.
I will play around with it. I had been wondering
for years without asking.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Sorry for the late reply.
Ernie is right the new units appear automatically as time passes, but there are some what is if units you can research.

Return to “The War Room”