Europa 1947 v5.8 for TOAW IV

Post new mods and scenarios here
VHauser

RE: Europa 1947 for TOAW IV

Post by VHauser »

I'm finally back and ready to work on E47 again. I've had a number of issues to deal with away from the computer, only one of which is health related.

I know I'm behind schedule. I need to do a quick review, but I'm pretty sure I was working on the Spanish. If I remember, I was finished with all .eqp issues and can concentrate fully on OOB stuff.

I need minor surgery soon (no big deal, outpatient) but the next several weeks will be busy. Anyway, I'll post updates when I can.
Member since May 2000 (as VictorHauser)
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: VHauser

I'm finally back and ready to work on E47 again. I've had a number of issues to deal with away from the computer, only one of which is health related.

I know I'm behind schedule. I need to do a quick review, but I'm pretty sure I was working on the Spanish. If I remember, I was finished with all .eqp issues and can concentrate fully on OOB stuff.

I need minor surgery soon (no big deal, outpatient) but the next several weeks will be busy. Anyway, I'll post updates when I can.
Lots of luck with your surgery. Thanks for your efforts on this project. We're all proud of you my friend.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

SAMs.
SAMs historically didn't enter service until the mid-1950s, which corresponds to 1948-49 in E47 terms. But I am incorporating them from the start of the scenario. This means I've had to make some "compromises" with history. The SA-2 Guideline missile is what I'm using as my baseline. That missile has a range of 45km and an operating altitude of 10,000-66,000 feet. I'm dropping the range to 24km (1 hex) and raising the minimum altitude to 20,000+ feet, which makes it high-altitude only. During Vietnam those missiles were deadly. I flew in B-52 bombers in the early 1970s and I know how deadly they were. Even with ever-evolving countermeasures, they were always a serious threat.

Anyway, even scaled down to E47 terms, SAMs will be quite effective. Also, it turns out that AAA gun batteries coordinated with the SAM acquisition radars which improved their capabilities. So, I'm going to leave the heavy and very-heavy AAA guns in the game and give them a marginal high-altitude capability (and also because I have to define 'high-altitude' as 20,000+ feet instead of the 30,000+ feet I originally intended). Heavy AAA guns will still be relatively ineffective because of the jet age, but they won't be completely useless.
How about the hand-held SAM-7? I had a SAM-7 shot at my plane about 02:30 in the morning one night over Cholon Heights, a surburb of Saigon, in September of 1972 and a flare gun saved us [ crew of 13 on an AC-130H Spectre Gunship ]. We were orbiting at about 15,000 and the missile reached our altitude in less than 5 seconds. It hit the spot we were in moments before.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Lots of luck with your surgery. Thanks for your efforts on this project. We're all proud of you my friend.
Plus One....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

I've finished the Spanish (two armies plus three corps plus coastal/misc forces). I've basically reworked all Spanish units because the P.O. is playing the Axis. Also, I intend for the Germans and Italians to have a substantial presence in Spain, but it will be a while before I get to the Italians and Germans.

Now I'm starting on the Turkish.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've finished the Spanish (two armies plus three corps plus coastal/misc forces). I've basically reworked all Spanish units because the P.O. is playing the Axis. Also, I intend for the Germans and Italians to have a substantial presence in Spain, but it will be a while before I get to the Italians and Germans.

Are you saving the Italians and Germans to the last because they are the largest? Are you going to use the new version of the TOAW EQP file? There's a thread dedicated to it and a d/l link to obtain it here:

tm.asp?m=4431184

As I understand it, it's got 1000+ more equipment items in addition to the standard ones. I don't know if you knew about it or not so I'm bringing it to your attention in case you didn't know. You're probably working on your own custom EQP file, now that I think about it.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Are you saving the Italians and Germans to the last because they are the largest? Are you going to use the new version of the TOAW EQP file? There's a thread dedicated to it and a d/l link to obtain it here:

tm.asp?m=4431184

As I understand it, it's got 1000+ more equipment items in addition to the standard ones. I don't know if you knew about it or not so I'm bringing it to your attention in case you didn't know. You're probably working on your own custom EQP file, now that I think about it.

Larry,
Yes, I work with the smallest/easiest nations first because they help me establish protocols and benchmarks for the larger nations later. Also, working with smaller nations first gives me practice which helps speed up the process with larger nations later. Further, it speeds the process of rationalizing the Axis and Allied OOBs. I'm constantly cross-referencing and I've already had to make a number of changes to the Allied OOB based on the work I did with the Spanish. By the time I get to the Italians and Germans, I hope to have most all of that rationalization between Axis and Allies finished.

Regarding the .eqp file, you are correct. I've extensively customized the .eqp file based on the hypothetical E47 timeline. It would take months to re-customize a new .eqp file to the E47 timeline.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

I'm back from my surgery and it appears to be successful. However, the surgeon discovered I have a hiatal hernia. So, I guess I have another surgery to look forward to...

Anyway, I'll be finished with the Turks (and the Syrians) today or tomorrow. After that, I'll work on the French/Vichy, Belgians, and Dutch.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

I've finished Turkey, Syria, France/Vichy, Belgium, and Holland.

Now I'm working on Croatia, Serbia, and Bulgaria.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

I've finished Croatia, Serbia, and Bulgaria.

Now I'm working on Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania. I'm going to be very busy for the next week or so, which means that these nations will take longer to finish.

Also, working on these smaller Axis nations has raised some issues regarding the Allies, especially switching sides/defections. This will result in changes to the Allied OOB...
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

After a long and busy week away from the computer, I'm wrapping up Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania. I've also made a few changes to the Allied OOB, mainly partisans.

I'll be starting on the Italians within the next day or two. I already know that this will be a big project because they will need to be completely re-worked. I have no idea how long this will take, but will probably take at least a few weeks.

VHauser

Post by VHauser »

I've started on the Italians and I see that I need to make some map changes. I'll work on the map today and get back to the Italians tomorrow.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

I'm still dealing with map issues. I'm also dealing with some issues regarding Supply Points, and continuing issues with partisans. Hopefully, I'll be able to focus my full attention on the Italians within the next day or two.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

You know, at a tactical scale (say, 250 meters per hex) the concept of in-hex rivers can make some sense. But at the operational scale of kilometers per hex? Ridiculous. Norm, why did you gut your own game? Oh well. Anyway, I will never be satisfied with the E47 (or any other TOAW) map, no matter how many fiery hoops I have to jump through to try to make it right. So, moving on...

I'm close to solving the issues I'm having with supply points. I'm having to make some compromises, but I'm mostly satisfied.

I'm also closer to solving the issues I'm having with partisans. Still miles to go before I sleep, but getting closer.

And I've even done work on the Italians. If I get as much done over the next 2 weeks as I have this weekend, I might be finished with the Italians in the first part of April.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

Working on the Italians has revealed a fundamental flaw throughout all of the OOB work I've done so far. The good news is that I can fix this. The not-so-good news is that it will take several days to do it. My revised estimate on finishing the Italians is now sometime during the second week of April.

Other news. I think I finally have a resolution to the partisan issues that have bothered me. Will take a day or two to implement. I'm done messing with the map (for now). I still haven't resolved the issues I'm having with supply points, but I'm going to put that off at least until after I finish the Italians.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

Turns out that my post earlier today underestimated the magnitude of the problem. Yes, I can solve the "fundamental flaw" issue I reported earlier this morning in a few days. But implementing that solution uncovered an even bigger problem.

The transportation values are all screwed up. This is really important because aircap, railcap, and seacap settings depend on plausible and consistent transportation values. And right now those values are neither plausible nor consistent (I strongly suspect that the original Europa 1947 transportation values from TOAW 3.X are messed up).

Anyway, I'm pretty frustrated right now, so I'm not even going to try to give an estimate how long it will take me to calibrate and cross-reference all the units I've worked on to date. One thing is certain--I'm done messing with this for today, and I'll probably take tomorrow off to get my mind right. I'm obsessed with this damned project, so I know that I just can't stay away from it, but I don't do good work when I'm angry and frustrated. I'll sleep on it for a day or two and then get back to it.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

VHauser,
Doing a monster scenario can cause monster headaches. Best take a rest and do something fun to get you back in a positive mood. Just take one problem at a time and before long you'll have all of those changes made. I haven't seen your mod yet but am looking forward to it's completion.
VHauser

Post by VHauser »

Okay, I took today off and now I'm ready to address the issue of transportation values. Once again, the root of the issue is tanks. After exploring the various tank equipments, I've noticed a wide varience in their transportation values. I disagree with Norm's values, but I can work around that. The solution is to make British/American tank units smaller (but more numerous), and thus more flexible for naval-transportation purposes. Naval capacity is the real bottleneck, so I can basically leave the Soviets alone. This means that I'll have to modify a significant portion of the Allied OOB, which will probably take several weeks. And that means that I won't get back to the Italians until the end of the month (because I have some busy doctor appointments coming up).

Since I already know how to work around Norm's transportation values, there's no need to go into that can of worms. But if anybody is interested in why I think Norm's transportation values are misguided, post your thoughts and I'll address the issue down the road.

As for now, I feel refreshed and ready to get back to E47 tomorrow.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

(because I have some busy doctor appointments coming up).
Good luck with your medical issues. Get well. Be happy. Don't worry.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Lar

You and I both know that over the years some of our friends and colleagues have either had medical problems or have passed. Maybe its time to start a “TOAW Hall of Veterans”. Entries could include a brief on military service, contribution to the scenario library or as a contributor to the TOAW community. Of course, other categories are possible. Leave this open for discussion.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”