Hospital ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cavalry Corp

Hospital ships

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I have mentioned this before but hspital ships could easily be handled in the game They could just add support points to a base like AV but for land units . WITP has lots of stuff around this but these ships were very important actually .

I wonder which side could or did attack these ships ? In the game and attack would lose you Political points!

Michael
Terminus

RE: Hospital ships

Post by Terminus »

No.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

The support points idea is an interesting one but how long do you think it would take for a player to game the hell out of the intent if they were added. Imagine a player using this in front line amphib ops when in real life they were used to treat the seriously wounded in rear areas.[:-]

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Its a 60 mile or 40 mile hex thats quite a long way
Anyway its not there
M
pad152

Post by pad152 »

For once a agree with Terminus!

I just don't see Hospital ships adding anything to the game!
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

The Japanese did not comply with the Geneva Convention and had no problem using their "hospital ships" to transport troops for invasions, and carrying POW's back to Japan.
The former is mentioned in Bloody Shambles...

msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

The support points idea is an interesting one but how long do you think it would take for a player to game the hell out of the intent if they were added. Imagine a player using this in front line amphib ops when in real life they were used to treat the seriously wounded in rear areas.[:-]

US hospital ships were used in front line amphibious operations to evacuate wounded from combat areas. They were used in the Marianas, the Philippines and at Okinawa for this purpose and were frequently attacked. In addition, the USN used LSTs fitted as hospital ships on the beaches during amphibious assaults.

Whether or not hospital ships are added to the game, I do think that the US should get some credit for the superior medical care given to her forces. Maybe this could be simulated with a morale bonus in assaults.
-- Mark Sieving
saj42

Post by saj42 »

Rather than a boost to morale the ability to recover fatigue and disruption faster would seem more appropriate.
Could they be treated like other Aux ships (ie stacking limit, disbanded in port), but add a bonus of added Support Squads ????
Banner by rogueusmc
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I like the idea of including them.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Its strange that opinions vary so much - we have many smaller ships included so why not . Also there is a lot of play put on the support of HQ units and these are quite similar
the artwork possibilities are nice enough alone ?

Michael
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

I'm reviewing the old threads from the beginning - to broad my culture and knowledge on the wargame.

Resurrecting this was, which is very interesting.

I like very much the idea that a hospital ship could add to the recovery of units it is close to;
BTW in bottleneck mod LST added hospital ships;

In general, I'd like VERY MUCH the idea that dedicated field hospitals/medical service devices could sensibly improve the morale and recovery of the unit/s they support.

For WITP 2 (?)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

Rather than a boost to morale the ability to recover fatigue and disruption faster would seem more appropriate.
Could they be treated like other Aux ships (ie stacking limit, disbanded in port), but add a bonus of added Support Squads ????
Rest is all that is required to recover fatigue and most disruption. Hospital ships should be there to reduce disablements which in turn will affect disruption positively. How to model the temporarily disabled differently from the permanently disabled will be a challenge. I think most of the troops sent to the hospital ships were at least long-term disablements, so maybe they could go back into the troop pool with a certain % after one week, another % after two weeks, etc. That would require some serious programming.

I take it the LST "Hospitals" are more like land based "Aid Station" tents that stabilized the seriously wounded and treated the walking wounded? No major surgery there?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I take it the LST "Hospitals" are more like land based "Aid Station" tents that stabilized the seriously wounded and treated the walking wounded? No major surgery there?

Think just ordinary ships, named "hospital" for chrome; good chrome;
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The developers originally included hospital ships in the game engine. However, too many of them kept getting distracted by the nurses and failed to complete their work. It was deemed necessary to dispense with hospital ships.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The developers originally included hospital ships in the game engine. However, too many of them kept getting distracted by the nurses and failed to complete their work. It was deemed necessary to dispense with hospital ships.
But keep the nurses???
[:'(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”