Bye Steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

zakblood

RE: Bye Steam

Post by zakblood »

ah so no cake?

not coming then to the party, so please don't send a invite [;)]

also don't drink, apart from tea and milk
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Aye old age does that to some. Although the occasional beer or wine won't hurt. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Aye old age does that to some. Although the occasional beer or wine won't hurt. [;)]

Agreed. Moderation is the key, here.

Attachments
morning.jpg
morning.jpg (16.97 KiB) Viewed 72 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

All this talk of Steam made me do something I hadn't done in perhaps a couple of years; I started a game of CIV IV. I thought I was going to have issues as Steam took an age to start and then went through a load of formatting shenanigans before finally running. The only thing is, a load of my short cuts have now disappeared off my desktop????? Coincidence? Weird - I don't even know which ones are missing - just that there are a lot less of them now......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I end up with missing shortcuts too. I chalk it up to Windows updates messing up all of my settings and turning on defaults. The big updates tell me they are saving my settings. It's lie. They are not. [:'(]

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

rico21

Post by rico21 »

I find the guilty...[:D]

Attachments
w1.jpg
w1.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i use windows 10 on everything i own, from a pair of 6 year old desktops for testing, a laptop which is aged about the same but only a dual core chip in it, 2 other pc's one is my server and the other just runs the net and a printer in the summer house and then my main gaming rig and a traveling laptop, which is kind of ok, but not high end, but works for me, so hardware wise, only one new, all the rest are right old donkeys, but all work fine and tbh much quicker with windows 10 on them, and always up to date, aged 52 this year and tbh for me it's the best version of windows for well everything, repairs, re install's, boot time, run time and for pure speed on all sorts of hardware.
Here's an another opinion. How much RAM does your computers have?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I just logged on to Steam and fired up Sid Meier's Civilization V. It runs without a hitch on my Windows 10 PC.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

Wanted to get the Wins10, but didn't feel like paying a hundred bucks for it
You don't need to pay for it. You can download it for free and install with your Win8 product key/license.

Did that twice already lol, pc got messed up and upgraded then again. So I had to clean it up by formatting the drive.

I can try again, but dunno if they will let me do it for free this time.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

As soon as Micro$oft offered Windows 10 for free I went for it. There's something about that word 'free'.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

As soon as Micro$oft offered Windows 10 for free I went for it. There's something about that word 'free'.

So did I. No regrets.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Some interesting insights and thoughts guys, appreciated.

Soooo I just couldn't leave things alone :)
Reinstalled Steam, took a screenshot of my games Library (because I can never recall what's actually on there it seems).
Then started pondering Civ III and Civ IV.
Played 30 minutes of Civ III and realized, "ya know, I miss this design."
I liked Civ IV too.

I recall my first game of Civ 1, it was great, slow, graphically limited, but fun all the same.
Civ 2 was a major leap forward (I thought).
Then Civ III blew me away.
And Civ IV was even more polish.

But as much as I LIKED Civ V, I am not willing to say I loved no stacking. Liked hexes, but, no stacking was a bummer. I liked the design overall. But, I've made a choice. There won't be a Civ VI, I couldn't care less if a future computer of mine is up to the challenge (my current machines ain't).
I've just decided to stick with a comfort zone that ends at Civ IV.

And I treated myself to an indulgence.
Yes, I already own the titles on Steam. I can't recall how I got them, but it likely was for peanuts.
But I have bought them through GoG for 10 bucks total for Civ III Complete, and Civ IV Complete. The bonus, the reason, is GoG as we all know, sells installers that have no DRM and no online need during install or playing (although they have a service called Galaxy if one wishes to employ it).

So now, when I get an urge to scratch a Civilization itch, I'll just stick with Civ III and Civ IV, which in my opinion, deliver just as good a scratching as Civ V can.

Sometimes the solution, is to not keep smacking your head against the wall, sometimes, you go over the wall or around it :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I recall my first game of Civ 1, it was great, slow, graphically limited, but fun all the same.
What do you mean "graphically limited"? It has 256 colour VGA!
But as much as I LIKED Civ V, I am not willing to say I loved no stacking. Liked hexes, but, no stacking was a bummer.
There are mods that make stacking work you know.
So now, when I get an urge to scratch a Civilization itch, I'll just stick with Civ III and Civ IV, which in my opinion, deliver just as good a scratching as Civ V can.
At least Civ4 has got plenty of mods. I recommend Caveman2Cosmos, the one mod to rule them all.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Not all games will run perfectly from Steam, make sure to have it compatible mode on (IE: XP-2SP) and some may need to adjust the color palette too. Like Kuokkanen mention that can be change and see if that will help.

I do play that Civ III too, never had any problems with it. Some older games seem to run better than Steam from GoG.

So check the main file that run the game, .com or .exe and right click on it as properties, then compatibility there you will see compatibility mode and settings. Those you can fix your problems. Most older games will need to be set as 8-bits or 16-bits.

Hopes that help you.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

"What do you mean "graphically limited"? It has 256 colour VGA!"

To me 'graphically limited' means it was nothing special to look at :)

Regarding mods, I don't hate them, I just never think of them I suppose.

I suppose if Civ V was actually working for me, I'd look into the stacking mod.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

"What do you mean "graphically limited"? It has 256 colour VGA!"

To me 'graphically limited' means it was nothing special to look at :)

Regarding mods, I don't hate them, I just never think of them I suppose.

I suppose if Civ V was actually working for me, I'd look into the stacking mod.

Users that have better graphic cards doesn't really let the software or games to kick in, most of the time you have to enabled them for it to work. For example if you have 32-bit running and the game is 16-bit, it is limited to 16-bit that is why it crashed!

Those sack of doom can be deadly, if the AIs use them well, would almost impossible to stop. Believe those are in Civ III and IV. So they took them out in V and VI.

Are you still having troubles running Civ III? If so I may can help, I can launch it and see what setup I have and maybe it will work for you.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I deliberately missed the massive free win 10 upgrade (3, 4 years ago?). The reason was truly simple: over the years Microstuff had basically delivered very unstable platforms.

And finally, miracle (!!!), they managed to deliver a stable version aka Windows 7. As you may imagine, I was not crazy enough to drop it and use... what exactly? A classic Microstuff unstable OS, or were they going to create another decent OS à la Win 7?

And that's where you, dear guinea pigs enter the scene [:D] Once it was clear the new OS was as safe as Win 7, I accepted the diabolical upgrade (less than one year ago). So far so good.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Those sack of doom can be deadly, if the AIs use them well, would almost impossible to stop. Believe those are in Civ III and IV. So they took them out in V and VI.
I guess you mean "stack of doom". If so, I have encountered some of those in Civ4. Caveman2Cosmos mod delivered serious shock when AI brought several ~20 unit stacks to bear on me. I had my nearby cities spamming archers (though I had more expensive compound bowman available) with most productive cities pushing them 3 per turn and AI didn't bring in any siege engines. So against my expectations, my border city held the ground. It got more serious later on with great majority of AI's army in single stack. I just went around of it, conquered most of the cities, then came back to deal with the stack of doom guarding the last cities. I fortified couple hills (WITHOUT clearing the forests on the hills) and cleared forests from around of them. When stack got too close out in the open, I hit it. You see, there are ways of dealing with it.

[edit]
Topic where I go to detail about that scenario

MekWars
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

I guess you mean "stack of doom". If so, I have encountered some of those in Civ4. Caveman2Cosmos mod delivered serious shock when AI brought several ~20 unit stacks to bear on me. I had my nearby cities spamming archers (though I had more expensive compound bowman available) with most productive cities pushing them 3 per turn and AI didn't bring in any siege engines. So against my expectations, my border city held the ground. It got more serious later on with great majority of AI's army in single stack. I just went around of it, conquered most of the cities, then came back to deal with the stack of doom guarding the last cities. I fortified couple hills (WITHOUT clearing the forests on the hills) and cleared forests from around of them. When stack got too close out in the open, I hit it. You see, there are ways of dealing with it.

[edit]
Topic where I go to detail about that scenario

Yeah same as stack of doom lol. If you have some catapults, it would damage all units in that stack. Not sure about other siege engines would do the same, probably does.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Never liked stack o doom.
Wasn't too fond of spies either.
Gotta admit I used religion as a weapon.

Rising Sun, when I mentioned graphics, I was speaking from an artistic perspective, not a software vs hardware angle.

"Graphically limited", as in ugly. I also consider tiles ugly. I deliberately shunned all of the Strategic Command 2 series due to the tiles. I didn't care a hoot how the game was as software, it was repulsive looking. Very glad hexes returned.

Return to “General Discussion”