Cobra not firing back v Hind

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

MTTODD

Cobra not firing back v Hind

Post by MTTODD »

In eyes,ears and teeth scenario has situation where Hind kept firing at my Cobra, which did not fire back at Hind, but instead
fired at ground vehicles when they appeared.

Would of thought it would of made more sense for Cobra to think of survival and fire back at Hind ?

Any help appreciated.

KungPao

RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind

Post by KungPao »

what's the distance between your AH-1 and Mi-24?
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

That was my question too. The Hind's gun out ranges the Cobra about 2 to 1 off the top of my head (depends on how each helo configured, but the Hinds cannons have some reach). See if you can grab a screen shot. Thanks.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

Hi,

Thanks for replies. Did not save at that point, but I think it might of been four hexes.

But even if that is the reason, should not the Cobra retreat out of range, rather than just sit there to get shot down ?

MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

Any thoughts on my question ?

But even if that is the reason, should not the Cobra retreat out of range, rather than just sit there to get shot down ?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Hard to tell what is going on in this case. The player sees firing lines, but that may not mean the unit saw/noticed the fire. In most cases recon platforms will jump away, but an armed platform may be less likely to if it is engaging the enemy. Most shoot downs occur when the target never sees the threat.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

Hi,

Well the Cobra did not fire at the Hind, but did at the ground forces.

Originally you said the Cobra might not fire back, because of weapons range.

Which is fair enough, but why just wait to get shot down by the Hind ?

Zakalwe101

Post by Zakalwe101 »

Perhaps this has more to do with the AI deciding that the AH1 has more chance to get a kill on the ground target than the Hinds, I've seen this where Tank units fire at MRC targets that are further away than the T80U unit right in front of them. I don't think the AI deals very well the concept of what poses the greatest threat to the firer, it tends shoot at what it has the best chance of killing.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Zakalwe101

Perhaps this has more to do with the AI deciding that the AH1 has more chance to get a kill on the ground target than the Hinds, I've seen this where Tank units fire at MRC targets that are further away than the T80U unit right in front of them. I don't think the AI deals very well the concept of what poses the greatest threat to the firer, it tends shoot at what it has the best chance of killing.

That sounds about right.

IMHO, game would be much improved if preliminary setup of forces included some UI elements to specify to each unit some things like "stance" or "tactical doctrine." For example: AD unit, set "TD" to "ONLY fire at aircraft" . . .

Taking away direct player control of weapons use, and elements to reduce C&C integrity and extent are great. But "Hold" and "Screen" are just NOT ENOUGH IMHO.

Did I mention this is my HUMBLE opinion [:D]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

ORIGINAL: Zakalwe101

That sounds about right.

IMHO, game would be much improved if preliminary setup of forces included some UI elements to specify to each unit some things like "stance" or "tactical doctrine." For example: AD unit, set "TD" to "ONLY fire at aircraft" . . .

Taking away direct player control of weapons use, and elements to reduce C&C integrity and extent are great. But "Hold" and "Screen" are just NOT ENOUGH IMHO.

Did I mention this is my HUMBLE opinion [:D]

We are putting such things in Southern Storm. The unit-level tactical AI will be enriched.
Jeff
Sua Sponte

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”